[talk.origins] Nobel prize for chemistry

arrp@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (arrp) (10/13/89)

The prize was awarded to Sidney Altman of Yale University and
Thomas Cech of the University of Colorado at Boulder for their
work in the discovery of catalytic properties of RNA.

An article published in Friday's edition of the Toronto Globe
and Mail said, 'It changed dogmas from the turn of the century
on how living cells function.' Quoted by Bertil Andersson of the
Nobel committee of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.

What were those dogmas?

What are the major references to this work and its implications?

Thank you.

--
Richard Clark

pell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Anthony Pelletier) (10/14/89)

In article <1989Oct13.150726.17983@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> arrp@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (arrp) writes:
>The prize was awarded to Sidney Altman of Yale University and
>Thomas Cech of the University of Colorado at Boulder for their
>work in the discovery of catalytic properties of RNA.
>
>An article published in Friday's edition of the Toronto Globe
>and Mail said, 'It changed dogmas from the turn of the century
>on how living cells function.' Quoted by Bertil Andersson of the
>Nobel committee of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.
>
>What were those dogmas?
>
>What are the major references to this work and its implications?
>
>Thank you.
>
>--
>Richard Clark

What a co-incidence!  I just returned from the party honoring Tom
here and had too much wine to do benchwork, so I decided to read mail.