[talk.origins] Humans caused by EBE's?

al@gtx.com (Alan Filipski) (10/17/90)

In article <3610098@hp-ptp.HP.COM> davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) writes:
>In article <1097@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) writes:
>}So, the idea that humans were just plopped here, a la Douglas Adams, is
>}pretty unlikely.  Even if this planet were started from scratch and
>}evolution happened again, the chances that it would produce anything
>}remotely like a human being are vanishingly small.  It might produce
>}intelligence and empathy and things like that, but the creature that
>}posessed those qualities wouldn't look much like us.
>
>Why not? It seems to me that starting completely over would produce
>creatures generally similar to the ones on the planet today. After all,
>most of our gross features are extremely refined adaptations to the
>environment around us, and leaving that alone, it seems probable to me
>that similar creatures would evolve. I don't buy the "intelligent

Well, on a topic as speculative as this, everyone is entitled to an
opinion, but I'd suggest S.J. Gould's "Wonderful Life", which argues
for the first view above.  If I understand him correctly, he says that
the evolutionary process has had episodes of radiation (prolific
speciation) followed by a rapid decimation (reduction in variety) and
that this process has a large almost random or chaotic component to
it.

The particular course taken depends upon what the particular genetic
coding allows, and upon random events in small populations, or the
precise state of the gene pool when some catastrophe or global change
occurs.

I hope I'm not putting words in Gould's mouth, but that was the
impression I got from reading the book a few months ago.  Comments?

[I'll throw this into rec.arts.books, too, just to say that Gould is
the  best science writer I know, and my small collection of desert
island books would certainly include a collection of his essays.  If
you like science, you've probably read things by him, if you don't
think you like science, get one of his collections of essays-- you may
be surprised.]

 ( Alan Filipski, GTX Corp, 8836 N. 23rd Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona 85021, USA )
 ( {decvax,hplabs,uunet!amdahl,nsc}!sun!sunburn!gtx!al         (602)870-1696 )

God is a comedian playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.

salem@fritz.sri.com (Bruce B. Salem) (10/18/90)

	Two brief comments on this thread:

	1) If you are arguing for some kind of Special Creation,
whether through supernatural means or by intelligant design from
within nature, smart alians, you not only have to single out Man
as unique amomg the animals and plants on this globe that presumably
evolved without the help of any outside agent, and you have to
minimize all the similarities he has with all those organisms.
The resolution of this depends on how you look at the characteristics
of Man and is easily prejudiced by prior beliefs about Man. Clearly
Man's possession of language and consciousness can be used to make
him unique in all the world. Further mystify those differences with
lots of vague moralistic and religious language and you can blur
the issue for a susseptable audience.

	First, it may be debatable whether Man is unique in having both
language and consciousness, it is difficult to communicate with other
intelligant animals on earth letalone find out if they have
consciousness. This thistinction between Man and the naimals may not
be so clearly drawn as recent work with animals and language suggests.

	If you broaden the scope of the comparison of Man to other
lifeforms to Man's biology, a vast number of similarities emerge.
Such similarities are very compelling for an evolutionary theory
linking all the variation of lifeforms to common ancestory.

	2) The course of evolution as explained by S. J. Gould in
many places, is that the history of life is an irreversable and unique
historical process. Even though evolutionary theory offers a
comprehensive account of how the changes could occur, it does not
account for pivotal events that shape its course, such as continental
or asteroid collisions that interact with biology by causing
catastrophic loss of habitats, such as is happing now, and resulting
in mass extinctions. These extra-biologic events are serendipitous.

	The point of Could's remarks is that were it not for the mass
extinction event of 65 million years ago that wiped out the Dinosaurs,
Mammals might still be confined to rat-like animals and this planet
would have long since been inhabited by Little Green Men, with scales.
The small preditory Dinosaurs were agile and probably intelligant and
their line could have led to characters we ascribe to ourselves,
alone, and much sooner than now.

	Another point made in "Wonderful Life" and elsewhere is that
there were biological experiments made at the level of gross body
plan for metazoa, at the phylum level, where some plans wone out and
flourished in diversity to be large familiar groups, where as others,
just as significant lost out, prehaps only by some luck, and became
extinct. The Burgess Shale fauna is a record of just such an event.
Another worldwide fauna that existed before the Cambrian Explosion had
body plans that we would call alian lost out, as well.

Bruce Salem