[talk.religion.misc] Outrageously long Biblical quotes

In article <1228@curly.ucla-cs.ARPA> za56@sdcc3.UUCP (Brian McNeill) writes:
>Please, Please stop quoting the Bible, or if you must, quote only
>the relevent parts, not the entire chapter in which they appear (you
>have done this twice now that I remember)  It's kinda pointless, as
>well as rude, to do this, since most people will read the length
>line, see how long it is, and hit the 'n' key (or 'j')

	The main problem with brief quotes is that it is so very easy
to completely reverse the meaning of a brief passage by taking it out
of context. This is true of almost any book that has anything
significant to say, but we Christians seem to be particuarly prone to
this error. I suspect that what Stuart was trying to do was provide
sufficient context to properly understand the passage and avoid being
charged with proof-texting. Compared to the guy who lists oodles of
individual out-of-context verses to make his points, Stuart is much
more palatable. Perhaps just listing the passages would be a better
solution.

---

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ??