[talk.religion.misc] Christian Roots of the U.S. - final part

gks@vax135.UUCP (Ken Swanson) (09/09/86)

The following is based on excerpts from a sermon, "Church and State," by
Rev. Dr. D. James Kennedy of Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church in Ft.
Lauderdale, Florida.

PART III (final part)

  *	George Washington, in one of his first official acts, presents
	the First Thanksgiving Proclamation:
	"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the
	providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for
	His benefits, and humbly implore His protection and favor ..."

  *	All of the state constitutions, all 50 without exception, contain
	an appeal or prayer to the the Almighty God of this universe.  For
	example:
	"We, the people of the State of North Caroline, grateful to Almighty
	God, the sovereign Ruler of nations, for the preservation of the
	American union and the existence of our civil, political and
	religious liberties ..."
	Vermont Constitution: "That all men have a natural and unalienable
	right to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their
	consciences ..."
	""We, the people of the state of New York, grateful to Almighty God
	for our freedom, in order to secure its blessings, do establish this
	constitution."

  *	A box in the cornerstone of the Capitol Building, the cornerstone
	laid by George Washington, contains a manuscript in the handwriting of
	Daniel Webster:
	"... And all here are assembled, whether belonging to public life or
	to private life, with hearts devotedly thankful to Almighty God for
	the preservation of the liberty and the happiness of the country,
	unite in sincere and fervent prayers that this deposit and the walls
	and arches, the domes and towers, the columns and the entablatures,
	now to be erected over it, may endure forever.  God save the United
	States of America."

  *	In the House of Representatives, above the seat of the one who presides
	over that house, is a sign approved by the Senate and House of
	Representatives which reads in large words:
	"In God We Trust."

  *	It is hard to believe, but the crier announces the start of every
	Supreme Court proceddings with the words
	"Oyez! Oyez! Oyez! All persons having business before the Honorable,
	the Supreme Court of the United States, are admonished to draw near
	and give their attention, for the court is now sitting.  God save the
	United States and the Honorable Court."  (Perhaps this should be
	re-worded to "God save the United States from this Supreme Court.")

  *	Over the fireplace installed by John Adams in the White House are
	the words:
	"I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this White House
	and on all that shall inhabit it ..."

  *	Along the stairs rising in the Washington Monument are the words:
	"God and our native land"
	"'The memory of the just is blessed' Proverbs 10:7"
	"Search the Scriptures"
	"Holiness to the Lord"
	"Suffer the little children to come unto to me and forbid them not;
	for of such is the Kingdom of God"
	"Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he
	will not depart from it"
	"In God we trust"
	"May Heaven to this union continue its beneficence"
	And at the very top of the Monument, on the outside, are the words:
	"Praise be to God"

  *	On the walls of various rooms in the Library of Congress:
	"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth
	His handiwork"
	"Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom; and with all
	thy getting, get understanding"
	"What doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love
	mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God"
	"One God, one element, and one far-off divine event, to which the
	whole creation moves"
	"Nature is the art of God"
	"That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom --
	and that government of the people, by the people, for the people,
	shall not perish from the earth"

Is there any doubt - based upon the above evidence from early documents,
buildings and written works of the fathers of this country - that this is
a nation under God founded for the furtherance of the Gospel and Kingdom
of our Lord Jesus Christ?

end of Part III
Thanks to Dr. Kennedy for this timely sermon.
Ken Swanson
AT&T Bell Labs
... ihnp4!vax135!gks

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (09/10/86)

In article <1585@vax135.UUCP> gks@vax135.UUCP (Ken Swanson) writes:
> Is there any doubt - based upon the above evidence from early documents,
> buildings and written works of the fathers of this country - that this is
> a nation under God founded for the furtherance of the Gospel and Kingdom
> of our Lord Jesus Christ?
> 						Dr. Kennedy

Poo.  Our nation was not founded because we were religiously oppressed: the
inhabitants the colonies were already practicing the religions of their
choice here.  It was founded because they were politically and economically
repressed.

At that time, religion (and references to the Christian god) were part of
the rhetorical baggage of politics and literature.  A sop thrown to
religious authorities, and something expected by the superstitious masses.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (09/12/86)

In article <1585@vax135.UUCP> gks@vax135.UUCP (Ken Swanson) writes:

>Is there any doubt - based upon the above evidence from early documents,
>buildings and written works of the fathers of this country - that this is
>a nation under God founded for the furtherance of the Gospel and Kingdom
>of our Lord Jesus Christ?

You BET there is. Let's look at these quotes:

>  *	George Washington, in one of his first official acts, presents
>	the First Thanksgiving Proclamation:
>	"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the
>	providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for
>	His benefits, and humbly implore His protection and favor ..."

Firstly, Washington's Thanksgiving Proclamation has NOTHING to do with
the founding of the country, its legal system, government, etc.
Secondly, I don't see where this quote (or most of the others) mention
God in any context other than a very general one. Where's the Gospel
in here, or your Lord Jesus Christ?

>  *	All of the state constitutions, all 50 without exception, contain
>	an appeal or prayer to the the Almighty God of this universe.

Again, none of the examples mention Christianity at all so your
contention that these quotes support the notion of a nation founded
for the furtherence of the Gospel and the Kingdom of Our Lord Jesus
Christ is RIDICULOUS.

>  *	A box in the cornerstone of the Capitol Building, the cornerstone
>	laid by George Washington, contains a manuscript in the handwriting of
>	Daniel Webster:

What does Daniel Webster have to do with the principles this country
was founded on? And he doesn't say WHICH God should save the U.S.:
maybe it's Ubizmo. :-)

>	...Representatives which reads in large words:
>	"In God We Trust." ...  God save the
>	United States and the Honorable Court."  ...

Which God? Whose God? Where's the Gospel, the praise of our Lord Jesus
Christ?

>  *	Over the fireplace installed by John Adams in the White House are
>	the words:
>	"I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this White House
>	and on all that shall inhabit it ..."

John Adams' fireplace has as much to do with the founding of the U.S.
as Nancy Reagan's china. Give us a break.

>       Along the stairs rising in the Washington Monument ...
>       On the walls of various rooms in the Library of Congress:

What do inscriptions in monuments and buildings have to do with the
principles this country was founded on (and constructions from long
after the founding, to boot)?

                       -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

rjn@duke.UUCP (R. James Nusbaum) (09/12/86)

I would like to point out that in the last two articles submitted
by Ken Swanson, which contained transcripts of a sermon supposedly
supporting the idea that the U.S. was intended to be a Christian
nation, there is absolutely no mention of Jesus Christ.  In fact
the quotes from documents, speeches, etc., seem to have been quite
carefully worded by the authors to avoid refering to any specific
religion.  The concept of God is not the sole property of the
Christian religion, and to say that these passages are in support
of the 'Christian Roots of the U.S.' is one of the poorest
arguments I have ever heard.

Jim Nusbaum

--
R. James Nusbaum, Duke University Computer Science Department,
Durham NC 27706-2591. Phone (919)684-5110.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Whatever I'm calling myself this week) (09/14/86)

>>  *	George Washington, in one of his first official acts, presents
>>	the First Thanksgiving Proclamation:
>>	"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the
>>	providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for
>>	His benefits, and humbly implore His protection and favor ..."
>
> Firstly, Washington's Thanksgiving Proclamation has NOTHING to do with
> the founding of the country, its legal system, government, etc.
> Secondly, I don't see where this quote (or most of the others) mention
> God in any context other than a very general one. Where's the Gospel
> in here, or your Lord Jesus Christ?
>
>>  *	All of the state constitutions, all 50 without exception, contain
>>	an appeal or prayer to the the Almighty God of this universe.
>
> Again, none of the examples mention Christianity at all so your
> contention that these quotes support the notion of a nation founded
> for the furtherence of the Gospel and the Kingdom of Our Lord Jesus
> Christ is RIDICULOUS.

Boy, you heathen and atheistic scum just don't get it, do you?  When a
reference is made to "Almighty God", who else could they POSSIBLY be referring
to except the Judeo-Christian god???  Are all you sexual humanists dense and
stupid?  OBVIOUSLY both these passages prove beyond the shadow of a doubt
the Christian heritage of our country!  (How'm I doin', Ray?)

(They couldn't even narrow it down to JUDAEO-Christian, but never mind that...)
--
"If you see this boy", said the ballerina, "do not---I repeat, do not---attempt
 to reason with him." 			Rich Rosen    bellcore!pyuxd!rlr

rap@oliveb.UUCP (Robert A. Pease) (09/17/86)

In article <1585@vax135.UUCP> gks@vax135.UUCP (Ken Swanson) writes:

>Is there any doubt - based upon the above evidence from early documents,
>buildings and written works of the fathers of this country - that this is
>a nation under God founded for the furtherance of the Gospel and Kingdom
>of our Lord Jesus Christ?
>
>Ken Swanson
>AT&T Bell Labs
>... ihnp4!vax135!gks

Wait a minute!  Just to be picky about this.  From what you have  said
here  I'll  go  along  with  the  idea that these people believed in a
supreme being, but I saw very little to indicate that this being was a
Christian god.

And even if they did (another  nit  to  pick),  there  is  nothing  to
indicate that they thought everyone should believe as them.
--
					Robert A. Pease
    {hplabs|zehntel|fortune|ios|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!oliven!rap