[talk.religion.misc] Courtroom Falacy

daveb@pogo.UUCP (Dave Butler) (09/18/86)

In article  <300c5aae.33cd@apollo.uucp> Margaret Daniel writes:
> Dr. Simon Greenleaf, professor of law at Harvard University,
> recognized by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court to be the greatest
> authority on legal evidence who has ever lived, did a detailed study of the
> findings relating to the resurrection of Christ. He concluded that, in any
> unbiased courtroom in the world, the evidence would fully establish the fact
> that Jesus was resurrected from the dead. Some of the hard facts that led to
> his conclusion:
>
>   -- the empty tomb
>   -- the 500 people who saw the resurrected Christ
>   -- the radically-changed lives of the disciples
>   -- the disciples' willingness to die for their faith
>   -- the birth and growth of the church
>
> There is simply no fully satisfying, truly adequate explanation for these
> known facts except the resurrection.

ie: therefore Jesus was GOD.

I'd like to make some counter examples to this inadiquate argument:

>   -- the empty tomb          ie: a miracle.
the battle between Krishna and a demon on the day of his birth. As physcal
proof of this the hindus will point out that the demon is now gone.

>   -- the 500 people who saw the resurrected Christ
the 100,000 witnesses to the above mentioned battle.

>   -- the radically-changed lives of the disciples
>   -- the disciples' willingness to die for their faith
>   -- the birth and growth of the church
all three of these also apply to the church Krishna (or the church
of Jim Jones for that matter).

If these arguments are insufficient to prove that Krishna was GOD
(or even Jim Jones for that matter. I'm sure that he had some miracles
that all his followers would swear to having witnessed), then these
arguments are insufficient to prove that Jesus resurected and was therefore
GOD.

Every religion has its miracles and its witnesses to those miracles. What
miracles you choose to believe in is up to you.

				Enjoyed this Immensely,

				Dave Butler

    Remember: Silly is a state of Mind, Stupid is a way of Life.