[talk.religion.misc] Reply to David Canzi

arndt@lymph.dec.com (09/15/86)

Paul Dubuc lists 'conviction' among the values that should be taught in school
and David asks, "Why conviction?"

Well Dave, it's because . . . ahhh, because . . . well, I think it would be
nice to have a viewpoint, perhaps, . . . and then on the other hand maybe it
wouldn't.

Not that I'm saying it isn't a good question, . . . although perhaps it is
a little silly - but not really!

But anyway if you don't like it I certainly won't insist on having it taught
although it might be a good idea in some cases as long as no one objects.

Is that too strong a . . . a 'position' to take on the matter?  Let me know if
you want me to change it.

Keep chargin'

Ken Arndt

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (09/18/86)

In article <5365@decwrl.DEC.COM> arndt@lymph.dec.com writes:
>Paul Dubuc lists 'conviction' among the values that should be taught in school
>and David asks, "Why conviction?"
>
>Well Dave, it's because . . . ahhh, because . . . well, I think it would be
>nice to have a viewpoint, perhaps, . . . and then on the other hand maybe it
>wouldn't.
>
>Not that I'm saying it isn't a good question, . . . although perhaps it is
>a little silly - but not really!
>
>But anyway if you don't like it I certainly won't insist on having it taught
>although it might be a good idea in some cases as long as no one objects.
>
>Is that too strong a . . . a 'position' to take on the matter?  Let me know if
>you want me to change it.

Well, um, I sort of agree with most of the virtues on that list (more or
less).  But it occurred to me that teaching children that conviction is
a virtue is to smuggle a Trojan Horse into their value systems.  I had
in mind the words of that well-known atheistic scumbag, Bertrand Russell,
who said:

"The prevention of free inquiry is unavoidable so long as the purpose
of education is to produce belief rather than thought, to compel the
young to hold positive opinions on doubtful matters rather than to
let them see the doubtfulness and be encouraged to independence of
mind.  Education ought to foster the wish for truth, not the conviction
that some particular creed is the truth."

Now if I make the most optimistic assumption that the people who want
to teach children that conviction (which my cheap dictionary defines
as "fixed belief") is a virtue don't plan to specify *which* particular
conviction the children should adopt, I can see it still causing the
harm that Russell speaks of.  Basically, if people go around thinking
they have a moral duty to make up their minds, and that uncertainty
is somehow less virtuous than certainty regardless of which decision
they come to, they will tend to choose a belief on insufficient
evidence, or even in the complete absence of evidence and then stick
to it like barnacles.  Thus, no free inquiry.  Thus, the mistakes
they make early in life will be preserved rather than corrected.

--
David Canzi