[talk.religion.misc] Counting Sermons

Mike Huybensz writes:

>We don't know Christ's opinion.  Because he's dead, and all we have are
>self-serving, revisionist reports written long after his death by lunatics
>like Paul.

As opposed to self-serving, revisionist reports written even longer after
the fact by lunatics like Tim Maroney?  [Note: this isn't necessarily meant
to indicate my opinion of Tim.]

It should be pointed out that this is invariably the problem with written
historical reports of any antiquity.  Anything where you cannot find
originals in the hand of what is most likely that of the author, the
fabrication problem exists.  The distortion or outright lying problem is
always difficult to avoid.  In this case, there is practically no reporter
which had a lack of bias on the subject.  Therefore the whole notion of
making assertions on the historicity of the NT is rather silly.

>  As Tim Maroney pointed out, much more is written about JC's
>moral teachings than about theological BS like godhood and resurrection.

THis is a silly way to judge the importance of things.  WHat is most written
on is what is *least* certain and *most* controversial.  Important,
fundamental subjects generally see the *least* exposure.

>> If he wasn't [god], then the Bible is just a pile of mostly-correct
>> teachings (wrong at least in the case of who Jesus was), and we can all
>> follow any 'moral'/religious code we feel like without looking back.

>Exactly my point.  I happen to like a bunch of Christian moral teachings
>(and dislike some others.)

Funny, you seemed to have changed your tune.  This statement leads directly
to the statement that "Morality is not a fundamental aspect of
Christianity".  Mike also seems to be agreeing to the assertion that
agnostic and atheistic moral philosophies are essentially like christianity
too.  Suddenly, the religious as a philosophical category seems to be
evaporating.

Time to rmgroup?

C. Wingate