[talk.religion.misc] A strange Religious Argument Concerning the Power of God

Vernon Lee writes:

>Why does the resurrection imply god is worth worshipping?  Someday science
>may be able to bring people back from the dead, and I won't worship the
>doctors.  Power does not imply benevolence.  If Christians worship because
>Jesus was resurrected, they are simply bowing down to the most powerful
>being(s).  Big deal!  The challenge is to defy power - to paraphrase a
>famous Christian:  I will not go to heaven while one other goes to hell!

I don't see any moral imperative to defy power, not from anywhere.

And the point of the ressurection is that it is a fundamental part of the
picture in which Jesus is GOd the Son-- presumably God is already worthy of
worship (anyone starting up a maltheism discussion off of THIS article shall
be beset upon by Mangoe the Municipal!), but whether Jesus is God-- this is
a more interesting question, and one to which the ressurection is part of
the answer.

C. Wingate