[talk.religion.misc] Now wait a minute...

mikes@tekecs.UUCP (Michael Sellers) (09/19/86)

[...]
>> The knowledge *we* can have is certainly limited.  Unless you assume
>> that only beings with our physical limitations are observing, this
>> does not mean there are no observers.
>
>You mistake what recent expirements have shown.  They have shown that,
>not only can *we* never know, but *noone* can ever know, because the
>information *ISN'T* *THERE* *TO* *BE* *KNOWN*.
>
> Wayne Throop      <the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!dg_rtp!throopw

I'd really like to see a cogent defense of this last statement (I don't think
it can be done).  How can we say that certain information about quantum
mechanical systems, for a given observer with perceptual abilities far
different (better) than our own, is simply unknowable.  It is very different
to say that we do not or cannot observe something than to say that it
cannot be observed, period.  Remember not to restrict the perceptual system
of the observer to a certain level of resolution or even by what we consider
to be fundamental "laws" (e.g., that the observer must follow a linear time-
stream and cannot observe two events at precisely the same instant).  If you
do not restrict the observer in ways similar to how we are restricted, then
even quantum physical fundamentals such as the probabilistic motions of
particles that gives rise to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle go away,
as it would, in fact, be possible for an observer to apprehend both the
position and the velocity of the particle at the same instant in time.

--

		Mike Sellers
	UUCP: {...your spinal column here...}!tektronix!tekecs!mikes

	   INNING:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  TOTAL
	IDEALISTS   0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    1
	 REALISTS   1  1  0  4  3  1  2  0  2    0

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (09/21/86)

In article <7657@tekecs.UUCP> mikes@tekecs.UUCP (Michael Sellers) writes:

>>You mistake what recent expirements have shown.  They have shown that,
>>not only can *we* never know, but *noone* can ever know, because the
>>information *ISN'T* *THERE* *TO* *BE* *KNOWN* [Wayne Throop].

>I'd really like to see a cogent defense of this last statement (I don't think
>it can be done).  How can we say that certain information about quantum
>mechanical systems, for a given observer with perceptual abilities far
>different (better) than our own, is simply unknowable.

    Mike, it seems to me you did not read what Wayne said carefully enough.
What he said was that (according to our current understanding) the infor-
mation cannot be measured because it doesn't exist. Even God cannot "see"
what path an electron takes if it doesn't in fact take a path, nor know
simultaneously its position and momentum if these do not simultaneously
exist. If you are asking "How do we *know* this picture of reality is the
correct one?", then this is a general problem in epistemology and the
philosophy of science with no more particular reference to this problem
than to evolution (which I find you defending in the next article).

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
        Fifty flippant frogs / Walked by on flippered feet
    And with their slime they made the time / Unnaturally fleet.

mikes@tekecs.UUCP (Michael Sellers) (09/22/86)

> In article <7657@tekecs.UUCP> mikes@tekecs.UUCP (Michael Sellers) writes:
>
>>>You mistake what recent expirements have shown.  They have shown that,
>>>not only can *we* never know, but *noone* can ever know, because the
>>>information *ISN'T* *THERE* *TO* *BE* *KNOWN* [Wayne Throop].
>
>>I'd really like to see a cogent defense of this last statement (I don't think
>>it can be done).  How can we say that certain information about quantum
>>mechanical systems, for a given observer with perceptual abilities far
>>different (better) than our own, is simply unknowable.
>
>     Mike, it seems to me you did not read what Wayne said carefully enough.
> What he said was that (according to our current understanding) the infor-
> mation cannot be measured because it doesn't exist. Even God cannot "see"
> what path an electron takes if it doesn't in fact take a path, nor know
> simultaneously its position and momentum if these do not simultaneously
> exist. If you are asking "How do we *know* this picture of reality is the
> correct one?", then this is a general problem in epistemology and the
> philosophy of science with no more particular reference to this problem
> than to evolution (which I find you defending in the next article).
>
> ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

I don't *think* I read Wayne wrong.  He seems pretty clear in the quoted
segment above, where he says that various pieces of information [about
quantum mechanical systems, I believe] are Unknowable (capital "U") since
they cannot be apprehended by us or anyone else.  Okay so far?  In his
view (Wayne, where are you?  I'm insecure when speaking for others),
there are some aspects of these systems about which information is not
merely beyond our sensory and instrument capacity, it simply is not
there at all.  Now, I will agree that *IF* it were true that, for example,
a particle's position and momentum were existentially mutally exclusive,
then God nor anyone else could know them simultaneously.  This (the IF
part) is what I believe Wayne to be asserting.  What I want to see is a
defense of this assertion, since I maintain that such limitations are
either based on our own instrument resolution or that we could not tell
for sure if they were or not; basically, I don't think you can say if
a currently unknowable thing is only unknowable to us or is simply and
totally Unknowable to anyone anywhere with any abilities.  No experimental
data that I know of can say for sure if intra-nuclear uncertainty is
part of the actual thing, part of the instrument's shortcomings, or part
of the model that we use to describe it.  These are all three separate
conditions that, especially when talking about highly speculative and
conceptualized systems such as quantum physics, are easily and often
blurred.
  I wasn't meaning to take on all of epistemology either, Gene.  We'll
save that for another day :-).
--

stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) (09/23/86)

In article <15733@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) writes:
> mation cannot be measured because it doesn't exist. Even God cannot "see"
> what path an electron takes if it doesn't in fact take a path, nor know
> simultaneously its position and momentum if these do not simultaneously
> exist.

I (the originator of this argument) did not state that God could measure
position and velocity simultaneously or describe its path.
In fact, I rather agree with your position in this regard
(but we still could be wrong).  The point is that God can predict the
outcome of a quantum experiment whereas we can't.
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (09/24/86)

> mikes@tekecs.UUCP (Michael Sellers)
>> throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop)

>> [no observer] can ever know, because the
>> information *ISN'T* *THERE* *TO* *BE* *KNOWN*.

> If you
> do not restrict the observer in ways similar to how we are restricted, then
> even quantum physical fundamentals such as the probabilistic motions of
> particles that gives rise to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle go away,
> as it would, in fact, be possible for an observer to apprehend both the
> position and the velocity of the particle at the same instant in time.

And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon.  Observations have
shown particles *don't* *have* definite position and momentum
simultaneously.  And my observations show that my grandmother doesn't
have wheels.  If you wish to postulate that there *can* exist observers
not limited by quantum uncertainty, fine.  And I can postulate that my
grandmother has wheels.  With equal validity.

I agree that "if our observations are wrong, the theory built from those
observations might be wrong".  But... so what?  The point is we are not
talking about our inability to observe something.  We are talking about
our *ability* to observe the *lack* of something.  If particles have
definite position and momentum but we just can't see it, they wouldn't
form interference patterns.  If local hidden varibles exist then the
"Aspect" experiments wouldn't come out the way they do.  And so on.

--
My math requires, when mesons pair,
A particle that isn't there.

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (09/30/86)

> mikes@tekecs.UUCP (Michael Sellers)
> I don't *think* I read Wayne wrong.  He seems pretty clear in the quoted
> segment above, where he says that various pieces of information [about
> quantum mechanical systems, I believe] are Unknowable (capital "U") since
> they cannot be apprehended by us or anyone else.  Okay so far?  In his
> view (Wayne, where are you?  I'm insecure when speaking for others),
> there are some aspects of these systems about which information is not
> merely beyond our sensory and instrument capacity, it simply is not
> there at all.

Hmmmmmm.  Perhaps I was more unclear that I thought.  I posted a rather
flip comparison to my grandmother having wheels (which Michael
apparently hasn't seen yet... hope it didn't offend), which I would like
to expand upon here.

First, I am *not* saying that data "hidden" by uncertainty is
Unknowable because it is unknown.  Not at all.  I'm saying that it is
a mischaracterization of the notion of uncertainty to claim that it is
an observer-related phenomenon at all.  The portions of the theory that
derive the uncertainty relationships *don't* *mention* *observers* *at*
*all*.  They state that *really* and *truely*, the data isn't there.

Now, if you wish to say that "the theory might be wrong", OK, fine, I'm
easy.  But my "theory" that my grandmother doesn't have wheels might be
wrong also.  Nevertheless, if somebody said that "You can't rule out
some observer being able to see the tread pattern on your grandmother's
wheels.", I'd feel justified in replying "But my grandmother doesn't
even *HAVE* wheels!"  Similarly with data "hidden" by uncertainty.
There *may* be data there.  And my grandmother *might* have intangible
wheels.

I hope my thoughts are clearer.  I'm *not* saying that current theories
cannot be wrong.  I'm saying that current theories imply that no
observer can "see" the "hidden" data, not because of some lack in
observers, but because the data just isn't there.  The original posting
(by Stuart Gathman, if I'm not mistaken) focused on the observer, saying
that all observers may not be limited as QM says we are.  My objection
is that QM *DOESN'T* *SAY* that we are limited!  This is a common
misconception that I tried to clear up, not too well it seems in
retrospect.  Sigh.