[talk.religion.misc] Dubuc/ Reply to Stuart Gathman on

gary@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Gary Buchholz) (09/30/86)

In article <1605@cbdkc1.UUCP> pmd@dkc1.UUCP (Paul M. Dubuc) writes:
>In article <654@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> gary@sphinx.UUCP (Gary Buchholz) writes:

>>   "...there is considerable pathos in these apologetic [Evangel. Theol]
>>   efforts.  It was, after all, Christianity that tutored the Western
>>   mind to believe that it should know the truth and the truth would
>>   make it free.  But now that the student has learned to prize the
>>   truth, he has discovered, with pain ...that it can only be gained at the
>>   cost of rejecting the one who first instilled in him the love of it."
>>
>>                                       --The Historian and the Believer
>>                                         Van Harvey  p 246
>

>Seems to me that an equally likely possibility is that the sons of
>the Enlightenment are thowing the term "truth" around in a manner not
>unlike the sons of fundamentalism.  They have modified the concept of
>truth to meet the apparent demands of intellectual integrity and it is
>that concept they follow in their desire to know the truth while thinking
>that they must reject the One who is the truth in order to do so.

Quite interesting.  I've spent a great deal of time studying
fundamentalist/evangelical exegesis.  The "sons of the Enlightenment"
and the "sons of fundamentalism" use the word "truth" in very different
senses.  It seems to me that the entire exegetical enterprise is fed by
the desire to "make the bible true" through use of whatever literary
techniques are available.  Not unlike medieval exegetes, the will ascend
the exegetical ladder of interpretation from literal to allegorical to
moral to anagogical trying to find an interpretive technique that will
render the bible CONSISTENT WITH WHATEVER A PARTICULAR GENERATION
CONSIDERS TO BE THE TRUTH.

The major difference between the medieval exegetes and the
fundamentalists is the value they put on secular knowledge.  To someone
like Augustine ("On Christian Doctrine") and before him (Origen "On
First Principles") up through Aquinas the more the Christian exegete
knew of secular knowledge the better.  I can think of no major
Christian theologian that has counterposed secular knowledge and
the biblical text.  Interestingly, for Origen, Augustine and Aquinas
the pivot point of exegesis is secular knowledge.  Aquinas can even say
that the world is NOT created, but eternal - and he says this on the
basis of Aristotle which he refers to in his works not by name but by
the title "the Philosopher", an authority in the eyes of St. Thomas.
Now, for Thomas to assert that the world is eternal on the basis of
greek metaphysics and not created, as Genesis (taken literally)says,
is certainly to say a great deal about the place of secular knowledge
in medieval Christian theology (if Aquinas is taken as representative).

As regards what you write concerning "intellectual integrity".  I think
that Fundamentalism is the first time in the history of Christian
theology where this term becomes irrelevant.  Theology is by definition
"theos-logos" rational thought about God.  It is hard to see how
anything lacking "intellectual integrity" could be called rational.
If Fundamentalist theology spurns "intellectual integrity" then it is
a non-theology, an irrationalism, and in the tradition of theology,
it is a heresy.

In a certain sense Fundamentalism is what it is because the people who
practice it lack intellectual options.  Van Harvey ("The Historian and
the Believer") uses a nice term.  He says that they lack "quality of
mind".  Translated, this means that Fundamentalists are stupid, and I'd
concur with that.  The difference between a Bultmann and a Swaggart is
that the latter has no resources to get Christianity out of the mess
that it finds itself in in the modern world.  Bultmann does a
re-interpretation job on Christianity in light of secular knowledge just
as every theologian in the history of the tradition has done before
him.  Swaggart relies on a Christian "orthodoxy" and by this raises
the collage of human tradition of theology to that of deity.

>If much of Protestant theology is to be likened to a "salvage operation"
>(performing surgery on the Tree of Knowledge, you might say),
>I would also suggest that the activities of Enlightenment theologians
>can, with equal clarity, be seen as an attempt to escape the "salvage
>operations" by sawing off the branch on which they stand.
>Paul Dubuc	cbdkc1!pmd

A physicist does not forever remain a Newtonian.  Is he any less a
physicist because he subscribes to the latest cosmology of which
Newtonian mechanics was a precursor?  Contemporary physics is both
indebted to the Newtonian tradition and must necessarily see its
inadequacies.  Hegel, in "Phenomenology of Spirit" puts
forth a progressive view of history driven by what he called "the
cunning of reason".  For Hegel nothing is "wrong", everything is
necessary - the bud of a flower is not "wrong", it is something that
"must be" before the flower blooms.  If anything, Fundamentalism tries
to throw a monkey-wrench into the process of history.

Perhaps we "saw off the branch on which we stand" to clear the forest
of the dead wood that inhibits growth.  You might thank the
Enlightenment theologians for risking the climb and risking their lives
in performing the action.  Luther, as a Roman Catholic theologian,
certainly did some "sawing" in his time and just look what grew as a
result of that "clearing" operation.  You, Mr Dubuc, have chained
yourself to that dead old tree of Christian orthodoxy, and in time,
secular theology under the orders of the Western intellectual tradition,
in the service of "intellectual integrity", will come with the buzzsaw
and take care of you and the dead old tree in one fell swoop.

  Gary

smk@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Stephen Kennedy) (10/01/86)

In article ??? Paul Dubuc writes:
>I think maybe you haven't studied enough.  There are certainly
>fundamentalists who interpret Scripture as you say.  I see a similarity
>(as far as intellectual integrity and *modesty* is concerned) between
>that and the way rationalists (like you) take one kind of knowing
>(scientific knowledge) and treat is as the only kind.

You've made this comment about scientific knowledge many time before.
While I'm not opposed to the idea there may be other kinds of knowing,
I still haven't figured out what _your_ kind of knowing is.  I would
say a kind of knowing which can't decide anything is useless.  From what
you've said before on the subject, I can't honestly see how you can decide
anything, yet you obviously do.  What gives?

[stuff deleted]

>Luther sawed while standing on the Bible.  I don't think there is
>anything that secular theology is standing on.  I rather think the

Aargh.  Yet another "proof" by appeal to the presupposed importance
of the Bible...

>--
>
>Paul Dubuc	cbdkc1!pmd

Steve Kennedy	cbosgd!smk

President, Rich Rosen Fan Club

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Bell Labs (unless threatened)