[talk.religion.misc] Creation, Evolution, and Flood

stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) (09/12/86)

Actually, I don't assume evolution is not part of God's plan.  I don't
pretend to have been around when God created the world.  I am convinced
that it happened just the way the Bible describes it.  I get ticked
off at both creationists and evolutionists because of the irrational
basis of both theories.

Evolutionist:	The only alternative to evolution is special creation.
	Since God doesn't exist, this is clearly impossible.  Therefore
	evolution is true.  (Despite the evidence.)

Creationist:	Evolution was conceived by heathen, therefore it could
	not possibly be Biblical (i.e. true).  (No science required.)

The waters are further muddied by the 'apparent age' problem which
makes any scientific consideration of creation impossible.  (Science
is only concerned with what we can observe.)

My conclusion: both creationism and evolution are totally unscientific
and should not be taught in science classes.  (I mean general evolution.
Specific evolution is well proven.)  Perhaps 'cosmology' would be an
appropriate name for the subject.

I think a subject more approachable from the scientific view is the
Noahic flood.  Let's have some discussion on the net about the Flood.

Here are some facts from the Bible

Duration:	40 days of rain.  The earth covered by water for more
	than a year.

Onset:		Sudden.  Only the seven in the Ark had (100 years worth
	of supernatural) warning.

Water source:	the 'floodgates of heaven' and the 'fountains of the deep'.
	(The objection that there is not enough water in the atmosphere
	and polar caps is not sufficient.)

Consequences:	the flood caused profound changes in the earth's ecology.

	Before:		It never rained until the flood.  The earth was
			watered by a mist from the ground.
			Average human lifespan was 900+ years.
			There were no seasons.

	After:		Rain was a regular event; rainbows were seen.
			Typical human lifespan dropped quickly to 120+ years.
			Between Moses and David lifspan dropped further to
			70 years.
			Seasons took hold.
			Eating meat was condoned by God.

Thoughts:

	Did the flood split the super continent in a year?  (As opposed
		to millions of years.)

	When did the flood take place?

	Changes in lifespan and weather indicate to me that radiation
		based dating would be totally off base for events
		prior to the flood.  (I.e. carbon 14).

	Evidently, some species were able to survive the flood without
		being in the Ark.  (E.g. insect eggs, fish eggs, plants,  etc.)
		The Bible says that everything that breathed died (Gen 7:22).
		Only breathing creatures were in the Ark (Gen 7:15).

	Was the flood the demise of dinosaurs?  (They were too big
		to fit in the Ark?)

	What kind of sediment layers (mixed with creatures) would the
		flood produce?
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>

zonker@ihlpf.UUCP (Tom Harris) (09/12/86)

writes:
> Here are some facts from the Bible
Biblical fact is an oxymoron.

< Insert all sorts of Biblical fiction here.

One current sceintific thought is that the "flood" was in fact the
tidal after affect of the explosion of Thera (this probably
caused the destruction of the Minoan civilization).  At the maximum it
was an event local to the Mediterrainian.  There is no sedimentary
evidence for global flood.  At any rate the Biblical account of
the flood is a rather thinly veil copy of the same story from the
Tales of Gilgamesh (the first best seller).  A book Moses, as someone
in the Eqyptian court, would have had access to and since the
copywrite wasn't invented (well it makes a good story so why not).

> Thoughts:
>
> 	Did the flood split the super continent in a year?  (As opposed
> 		to millions of years.)
No.  The supercontenent split millions of years before.

> 	When did the flood take place?
Thera exploded about 1500 B.C.

> 	Changes in lifespan and weather indicate to me that radiation
> 		based dating would be totally off base for events
> 		prior to the flood.  (I.e. carbon 14).

The Carbon 14 dating method is valid as it stands (or least a
better source of fact than the Bible).  The external justification
that Carbon 14 is accurate scheme overwhealming (souces are biology,
anthropology, geology, zoology, physics and history).   The carbon
14 method of dating was created by taking the output of the carbon
samples and verifing them with other evidence.  No published
carbon 14 date is ever used unless there is external justifcation it is
correct.  It is too easy to ruin the date by contaminating the
sample.  As an Archeologist we used the C14 only to justify dates
we already had figured out from cultural context, if there was a
difference we figured out why.  In fact one of my professors was
caught with his pants down when he announced that he had found the
oldest pot in the new world (based on alluvial river deposits), but the
carbon date came back 2000 years later than his date.  Seems the
river deposited four times the muck in the past it does today.

< Insert more Biblical fiction here.
> 	Was the flood the demise of dinosaurs?  (They were too big
> 		to fit in the Ark?)
They were gone several million years before there were people.
Size of the ark would have had little to do with it, if Noah could
build a ship big enought to house two of every breathing species
and food to feed them for a year what's a couple of dinosuars more
or less.  Also the flood doesn't explain the demise of the sea
going dinosaurs.

> 	What kind of sediment layers (mixed with creatures) would the
> 		flood produce?
If there had been a flood of proportions to cover mountains over
the whole earth for a year, the effect would have been unmistakeable
and easily identified geologically.  Think about all the topsoil
that would have been washed free, mixed into the ocean and the
settled to the bottom, it would stand out from a mile away.  This layer
doesn't exist, hence there was no flood.

				Non Cuniculus Est,
				    Tom H.

za56@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Brian McNeill) (09/13/86)

In article <203@BMS-AT.UUCP> stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:
>Actually, I don't assume evolution is not part of God's plan.  I don't
>pretend to have been around when God created the world.  I am convinced
>that it happened just the way the Bible describes it.  I get ticked
>off at both creationists and evolutionists because of the irrational
>basis of both theories.
>
>Evolutionist:	The only alternative to evolution is special creation.
>	Since God doesn't exist, this is clearly impossible.  Therefore
>	evolution is true.  (Despite the evidence.)

WHOA!  HOLD ON HERE!  We have 2 choices, as you said...Evolution (or
something similar) or special creation...WE DO NOT ASSUME EVOLUTION
IS TRUE BECAUSE WE ASSUME GOD IS NOT!  We assume evolution because
it is SIMPLER than assuming 2 extras (1) that God exists, and (2)
that God would bother creating an appearance of age...Evolution is
far more likely because Creation requires the above 2 premises, wher
evolution, even should a God exist, requires neither, and should (1)
be true, violates neither...God could have created the universe by
evolution...but the universe couldn't have come about by Creation
without (1) and (2) above...and the EVIDENCE you mention happens to
be rather strongly weighted (read that as NO evidence for Xian
Creationism) towards Evolution!  Where did you get the idea that the
evidence points otherwise?

>Creationist:	Evolution was conceived by heathen, therefore it could
>	not possibly be Biblical (i.e. true).  (No science required.)
>
>The waters are further muddied by the 'apparent age' problem which
>makes any scientific consideration of creation impossible.  (Science
>is only concerned with what we can observe.)
>
>My conclusion: both creationism and evolution are totally unscientific
>and should not be taught in science classes.  (I mean general evolution.
>Specific evolution is well proven.)  Perhaps 'cosmology' would be an
>appropriate name for the subject.

What is this "general evolution" and "specific evolution" you are
speaking about here...creationism is totally unscientific...we agree
on that, at least...but EVOLUTION UNSCIENTIFIC?  Check your brain
cells man...I think they're burned out!  Cosmology has little to do
with evolution, and thus is a rather inappropriate name...in any
case, evolution happens to be scientific, at least the version I got
fed in high school seems to be up to date...mind presenting your
arguments about why evolution is unscientific...Id like to see
them...

>I think a subject more approachable from the scientific view is the
>Noahic flood.  Let's have some discussion on the net about the Flood.

Yeah sure...the Noahic flood was something rumored about in a work
of fiction...end of scientific analysis...but seriously...WHY should
we scientifically analyze something that hasn't been proven to
happen, and in fact is rather unlikely to have happened?  None of
the ancient history we have indicates any catastrophic event of such
magnitude occurred anytime near the time this was supposed to have
occured (c. 2500-3000 BC)...for crying out loud...the Egyptians
already had a civilization at that time...don't youd think theyd
have made notes about it on their walls...and what about the
Chinese..they have a written history going back almost to 4000 BC
(the time of Biblical Creation, I believe)...how can God have
drowned everybody except Noah and Co, and still have left 2 thriving
civilizations?  This strikes me as enough evidence to forget about
Noah right away...end of analysis!

>Here are some facts from the Bible
>
>Duration:	40 days of rain.  The earth covered by water for more
>	than a year.

Musta been one hellofa downpour...DONT YOU HAVE ANY IDEA OF THE
SURFACE AREA OF THE EARTH!?!  Even assuming an inch/hour downpour
across the face of the Earth, it would take a thousand years for the
seas to rise up enough to cover just the highlands, and tens of
millenia before covering the mountains...40 days just does not cut
it!

>Onset:		Sudden.  Only the seven in the Ark had (100 years worth
>	of supernatural) warning.

Again, see above...Even assuming a torrential downpour that we may
assume swept all the lowlanders into the sea, the highlanders would
have had years to prepare for the rising waters...

>Water source:	the 'floodgates of heaven' and the 'fountains of the deep'.
>	(The objection that there is not enough water in the atmosphere
>	and polar caps is not sufficient.)

Yep..and the only way to get that much water onto the earth in that
short a period of time would require not less than the equivalent of
pouring the ENTIRE PACIFIC OCEAN (what, about 40 trillion gallons,
or something of that kind...in any case, a staggering amount) over
the Earth ONCE A DAY!  This kind of downpour, of course, would kill
anything under it with the force of megatons of water cascading down
every minute, as well as (obviously) breaking the Ark up...

>	Changes in lifespan and weather indicate to me that radiation
>		based dating would be totally off base for events
>		prior to the flood.  (I.e. carbon 14).

Of course C-14 dating would still be accurate...radiation doesn't
change its half-life for some mere quadrillions of tons of water...
weather has absolutely no effect on radiation, and neither does our
lifespans!

>	Evidently, some species were able to survive the flood without
>		being in the Ark.  (E.g. insect eggs, fish eggs, plants,  etc.)
>		The Bible says that everything that breathed died (Gen 7:22).
>		Only breathing creatures were in the Ark (Gen 7:15).

As noted above, the sheer weight of the amount of water falling in a
single day required to make the flood would kill anything! period.

>	Was the flood the demise of dinosaurs?  (They were too big
>		to fit in the Ark?)

No, since dinosaurs died out some 60 million years before the Flood,
and never coexisted with man or even any of man's cousins.

>--
>Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>

/-----------------------------------------------------------\
| Brian McNeill        ARPA :           za56@sdcc3.ucsd.edu |
| HASA "A" Division    UUCP :  ...!sdcsvax!sdcc6!sdcc3!za56 |
|-----------------------------------------------------------|
| Disclaimer: I hereby disclaim all knowledge of opinions,  |
|   expressed or implied, including this disclaimer.        |
| Flames ---> /dev/null                                     |
\-----------------------------------------------------------/

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (wagener) (09/15/86)

In article <203@BMS-AT.UUCP> stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:
>Actually, I don't assume evolution is not part of God's plan.  I don't
>pretend to have been around when God created the world.  I am convinced
>that it happened just the way the Bible describes it.  I get ticked
>off at both creationists and evolutionists because of the irrational
>basis of both theories.
>
>Evolutionist:	The only alternative to evolution is special creation.
>	Since God doesn't exist, this is clearly impossible.  Therefore
>	evolution is true.  (Despite the evidence.)

			    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	What evidence are you refering to?

>Creationist:	Evolution was conceived by heathen, therefore it could
>	not possibly be Biblical (i.e. true).  (No science required.)
>
>The waters are further muddied by the 'apparent age' problem which
>makes any scientific consideration of creation impossible.  (Science
>is only concerned with what we can observe.)

	How else is there to prove anything? Arm-wave and hypothesise
maybe, but prove anything? Sure you could speculate that all was
cleverly brought to being complete as is, with evidence included
that things have changed over a LONG period of time -- but what is the
use? All that is is speculation -- nothing more. Without evidence
to observe it goes no where.

>My conclusion: both creationism and evolution are totally unscientific
				     ^^^^^^^^^
I object to the assertion that evolution is not scientific, for it is.
It's just that like anything in science that is a theory, the "truth"
is dynamic not static as popular belief and creationist would have it
to be. More evidence,more clarification. It's the same throughout
science. Most non-scientists have no concept of the shift of scientific
theories and models through time. The shifts are not haphazard, but
they do occur when the time is right and the facts are in. There is
a history to the flow of science, DON"T IGNORE IT! Also, the world
is a highly integrated unit, this is never so clearly seen as in
geology. One can't focus just on one aspect of any problem without
taking into account a large variety of other aspects and fields. This is
the main area that Ted H.'s arm-waving falls apart, as well as lots of
the creationist doctrines. Current evolutionary theory may not be
perfect in all its aspects but it does seem the closest to the right
track. Only Time will tell.
track. Time will tell.
>and should not be taught in science classes.  (I mean general evolution.
>Specific evolution is well proven.)  Perhaps 'cosmology' would be an
>appropriate name for the subject.
>
>I think a subject more approachable from the scientific view is the
>Noahic flood.  Let's have some discussion on the net about the Flood.
>
>Here are some facts from the Bible
>
>Duration:	40 days of rain.  The earth covered by water for more
>	than a year.
>
>Onset:		Sudden.  Only the seven in the Ark had (100 years worth
>	of supernatural) warning.
>
>Water source:	the 'floodgates of heaven' and the 'fountains of the deep'.
>	(The objection that there is not enough water in the atmosphere
>	and polar caps is not sufficient.)
There's more than just not enough water, there's also the fact that
where did the water go if it was an outpouring of juvenile water?
(juvenile water -- water that is derived from the interior of the
earth and has not previously existed as atmospheric or surface water.
Dictionary of Geological terms, American Geological Institute, Anchor
Books,1976.)

Once you get water onto the surface of the earth, it becomes part
of a closed system cycle. Very little goes back into the earth. So
even if there was an outpouring of juvenile waters that allowed the
earth to be covered with water, where did the extra go?

>Consequences:	the flood caused profound changes in the earth's ecology.
>
>	Before:		It never rained until the flood.  The earth was
>			watered by a mist from the ground.
>			Average human lifespan was 900+ years.
>			There were no seasons.
>
>	After:		Rain was a regular event; rainbows were seen.
>			Typical human lifespan dropped quickly to 120+ years.
>			Between Moses and David lifspan dropped further to
>			70 years.
>			Seasons took hold.
>			Eating meat was condoned by God.
>
>Thoughts:
>
>	Did the flood split the super continent in a year?  (As opposed
>		to millions of years.)

	Continents DO NOT split because of water! THERE IS LOTS
	OF EVIDENCE for the tensional aspect of continents being
	pulled apart by movements of mobile layers under the
	crust. The rock signatures are there, as are the signatures
	in the continents for the gradual buildup of continents
	over a LONG period of time.

	I really suggest that it would be wise to delve into geology
	- specifically plate tectonics, radiometric dating (beyond
	C-14 theres are atleast 5 or 6 methods that all correlate)
	paleontology and especially stratigraphy. If there are some
	good verifiable model that will reconcil the great portion
	of already recognizable evidence, I'll listen with eager
	ears. So far neither the above, nor Teds diatribes fit
	any known evidence.

>	When did the flood take place?

	There IS NO EVIDENCE FOR A WORLDWIDE FLOOD! None.Zip.
	Nada.
	(And believe me floods leave lots of evidence that canbe
	found all over -- there is no evidence of a flood over
	all the world. Lots of little ones here and there, but
	all at different times,places,and circumstances.)
	PLEASE READ some geology and look at its evidence before
	condeming it.

>	Changes in lifespan and weather indicate to me that radiation
>		based dating would be totally off base for events
>		prior to the flood.  (I.e. carbon 14).

	There have already been SIGNIFICANT changes in the atmosphere
	types of fauna and flora and weather which show no changes
	in the radiometric dating methods. (C-14 is accurate to only
	a couple of 100,000 years,beyond that the accuracy deteriorates
	to total unreliablity at about 1 million years. There are
	other methods for much older dating. C-14 is used only for
	relatively recent events.)

>	Evidently, some species were able to survive the flood without
>		being in the Ark.  (E.g. insect eggs, fish eggs, plants,  etc.)
>		The Bible says that everything that breathed died (Gen 7:22).
>		Only breathing creatures were in the Ark (Gen 7:15).
>
>	Was the flood the demise of dinosaurs?  (They were too big
>		to fit in the Ark?)

	The dinosaurs did not die in one fell swoop. Nor did all the
	life at the end of the Mesozoic die off. There were a lot of
	air-breathing life left in the form of mammals,bird and even
	reptiles (of whom the dinosaurs were only a fraction). The
	demise was somewhat gradual over a short period of time.

>	What kind of sediment layers (mixed with creatures) would the
>		flood produce?

	I suggest that some study into stratigraphy and
	paleontology would be useful. This issue was settled about
	100 years ago, and the evidence keeps mounting against it.

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (09/15/86)

In article <203@BMS-AT.UUCP> stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:
> Actually, I don't assume evolution is not part of God's plan.  I don't
> pretend to have been around when God created the world.  I am convinced
> that it happened just the way the Bible describes it.  I get ticked
> off at both creationists and evolutionists because of the irrational
> basis of both theories.

Perhaps I can show you a reason to get ticked off at yourself for the
irrationality of your own note.

> Evolutionist:	The only alternative to evolution is special creation.
> 	Since God doesn't exist, this is clearly impossible.  Therefore
> 	evolution is true.  (Despite the evidence.)

Patent misrepresentation.  There are innumerable other alternatives, such
as spontaneous generation, other mythological scenarios, etc.  Nor do
scientists make the error of saying "because A isn't so, B is so."
We simply say that evolution is the best supported hypothesis.
(If you want to debate the evidence, go ahead.)

> Creationist:	Evolution was conceived by heathen, therefore it could
> 	not possibly be Biblical (i.e. true).  (No science required.)
>
> The waters are further muddied by the 'apparent age' problem which
> makes any scientific consideration of creation impossible.  (Science
> is only concerned with what we can observe.)
>
> My conclusion: both creationism and evolution are totally unscientific
> and should not be taught in science classes.  (I mean general evolution.
--

"... when people begin to philosophize they seem to think it necessary to make
themselves artificially stupid."  Bertrand Russell in "Theory of Knowledge".

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

flash@sas.UUCP (Gordon Keener) (09/16/86)

In article <203@BMS-AT.UUCP>, stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:

> Thoughts:

> 	Changes in lifespan and weather indicate to me that radiation
> 		based dating would be totally off base for events
> 		prior to the flood.  (I.e. carbon 14).

  You assume that the lifespan difference is due to some sort of radiation
(or lack thereof) before the flood. I do not believe that any sort of
change in radiation level over the period of a year could have that sort
of effect; i.e. so that the data is not only _wrong_, but _consistent_ with
a 4-billion year existance.

> 	Evidently, some species were able to survive the flood without
> 		being in the Ark.  (E.g. insect eggs, fish eggs, plants,  etc.)
> 		The Bible says that everything that breathed died (Gen 7:22).
> 		Only breathing creatures were in the Ark (Gen 7:15).

  Plants breathe, but in the opposite manner that animals do. Also, I cannot
conceive of any plants, after living on the surface, surviving for more
than a few days underneath miles of water (where it is also rather dark).
Of course, mountaintops would have been closer to the surface, but plants
do not usually find them habitable otherwise.
  Then again, it is possible that Genesis referred to _air_ breathers only,
as it is unlikely that Moses would have been aware of the distinction.

> 	Was the flood the demise of dinosaurs?  (They were too big
> 		to fit in the Ark?)

  Many dinosaurs, unlike T. Rexx and friends, were quite small. I think,
but am not quite sure, that even the small reptilian dinos became extinct
(except crocs and a few others), while most of the mammals survived. This
would not indicate an upper size limit across all species. Granted, all of
the mammals then (and now) are rather small.

> 	What kind of sediment layers (mixed with creatures) would the
> 		flood produce?

  I would expect the flood to be rather violent, and that the
turbulence would cause at least a few feet of existing ground cover to
become scrambled. Perishing creatures (human and otherwise) could end
up being buried almost anywhere in the resulting layer. I do not know of
any evidence for such layers.

> --
> Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>

  Carbon-14 is not the only method of dating, either. One can consider the
amount of time it would take for n feet of sediment to accumulate; it
could not accumulate quickly, or the fossils found in different layers
would not be so radically (and _consistently_) different.

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) (09/17/86)

Sorry, I don't see how the explosion of Thera
could have caused the 'Biblical' flood.  The
flood story we have in Genesis is almost certainly
copied from the same source as the one in the
Epic of Gilgamesh.  Now Thera blew her top around
1450 BC.  And, although the version you usually
find is the Akkadian translation (ca 800 BC) the
original story was almost certainly Sumerian,
and probably dates to before 2000BC.  So the
story came first.

Incidentally, I believe the current date for the
end of the Minoan II period is well after 1450BC,
so thera wasn't responsible for the destruction
of Knossos either.

mikes@tekecs.UUCP (Michael Sellers) (09/17/86)

[Preface:  I am a Christian, and have extensive background in the sciences
 and the philosophies thereof.  I see no contradiction between them, only
 partial ignorance.  Naive beliefs like some in the original posting
 below bother me, because I am concerned that someone would become disturbed
 to find out that large (though non-scriptural) parts of their faith were
 clearly not true, and then begin to doubt the rest of their faith.]

> Actually, I don't assume evolution is not part of God's plan.  I don't
> pretend to have been around when God created the world.  I am convinced
> that it happened just the way the Bible describes it.  I get ticked
> off at both creationists and evolutionists because of the irrational
> basis of both theories.
>
> Evolutionist:	The only alternative to evolution is special creation.
> 	Since God doesn't exist, this is clearly impossible.  Therefore
> 	evolution is true.  (Despite the evidence.)

Despite *what* evidence?  All the available, non-corrupted evidence supports
some variety of the theory of evolution.  Also, your reasoning is faulty.
People researching natural selection and/or evolution do not begin with
the belief that God does not exist (Darwin was a religious person), only
that we cannot let our matters of faith modify what we see around us.
The book of Genesis *is not* a textbook of how things happened, step by
step, and should not be treated as such.  It is a figurative account (if only
in that God did not describe each action bit by bit) of how the earth was
created.  Viewed this way, it does not contradict science at all.

> Creationist:	Evolution was conceived by heathen, therefore it could
> 	not possibly be Biblical (i.e. true).  (No science required.)
>
> The waters are further muddied by the 'apparent age' problem which
> makes any scientific consideration of creation impossible.  (Science
> is only concerned with what we can observe.)

I'm not sure what you mean by 'apparent age', nor can I see how this makes
scientific consideration of creation impossible.  Science begins with what
we can observe now, and attempts to make theories about what we will be
able to observe in the future, or to make theories that join seemingly
disparate current observations.

> My conclusion: both creationism and evolution are totally unscientific
> and should not be taught in science classes.  (I mean general evolution.
> Specific evolution is well proven.)  Perhaps 'cosmology' would be an
> appropriate name for the subject.

This conclusion was obviously attained after much considered thought, but
after very little, it would seem, in the way of outside contact.  Just because
an idea may be wrong, or may violate what *you* think to be right, does not
make it unscientific.  The theory of evolution is scientifically based (this,
I am sure, has been explained enough times on the net already), while the
Genesis story of creation, right or wrong (i.e. holy writ or myth), IS NOT
science and SHOULD NOT be taught under that guise.  It can and should be
taught in comparitive religion classes and in Bible study classes, though
with different emphases, neither of which is scientific.  Your statement about
general versus specific evolution only shows how little you know about
the subject.  Very little in the way of "specific evolution" is known;
the cases of the anchovie and the British peppered moth are examples of
natural selection, not evolution.  "General evolution" on the other hand is
much better understood.  It is clear from a number of different types of
evidence that species have evolved in response to environmental pressures
and by the processes of natural selection and random mutation; anything much
more specific than this is still open to debate.
  Unfortunately cosmology is already taken as a name, as it means something
different (the study of the universe from either an astronomical or meta-
physical point of view).  Changing the name of something wouldn't change
what it is, anyway.

> I think a subject more approachable from the scientific view is the
> Noahic flood.  Let's have some discussion on the net about the Flood.
>
> Here are some facts from the Bible

Better, "Here are some Biblical assertations of fact", for the non-faithful
among us.

> Duration:	40 days of rain.  The earth covered by water for more
> 	than a year.
>
> Onset:		Sudden.  Only the seven in the Ark had (100 years worth
> 	of supernatural) warning.

A nit: I thought it was more like 40 years of warning.  I could be wrong.

> Water source:	the 'floodgates of heaven' and the 'fountains of the deep'.
> 	(The objection that there is not enough water in the atmosphere
> 	and polar caps is not sufficient.)

Actually, I would think from a skeptic's point of view this would be a pretty
good objection.  I would counter that neither of us can say if there is or
could be enough water (the question is not central to the issue), but to
say the objection is not sufficient without explanation is itself not
sufficient.

> Consequences:	the flood caused profound changes in the earth's ecology.
>
> 	Before:		It never rained until the flood.  The earth was
> 			watered by a mist from the ground.
> 			Average human lifespan was 900+ years.
> 			There were no seasons.

I think some of these things are open to debate.  Does the Bible say or imply
that there were no seasons and that the average person (not selected persons
mentioned) lived 900+ years, or are these your conclusions?

> 	After:		Rain was a regular event; rainbows were seen.
> 			Typical human lifespan dropped quickly to 120+ years.
> 			Between Moses and David lifspan dropped further to
> 			70 years.
> 			Seasons took hold.
> 			Eating meat was condoned by God.

I'm not sure that the Flood had a direct part in some of these things...
again, the lifespan issue bothers me (though perhaps you have some Biblical
evidence?), as does your assertation about the seasons.

> Thoughts:
>
> 	Did the flood split the super continent in a year?  (As opposed
> 		to millions of years.)

No.  If you believe the theories of plate tectonics, esp. regarding the
existence of Gaia and Pangaea (which I do), then you must accept the evidence
that the split took a very long time, and happened long ago.  While there is
geologic and fossil evidence about similar conditions existing, for example,
on the east coast of South America and the west of Africa, there is no
evidence for (and much to the contrary) that the event was either recent or
rapid.  We would expect to see animal and plant populations either dieing out
in mass numbers or living nearly identically either currently or in the
recent past.  Instead, we see a time when there appeared to be commonality
between the two continents, whereas now there is only the most distant of
relationships.
  I'm not sure what this has to do with the flood anyway.

> 	When did the flood take place?

This is a good one.  Who knows?  It kind of depends if the flood really
did cover the whole earth or if it covered only a small area. (Pet theory:
note that the fertile crescent area is mostly low elevation situated between
the Mediterranean, Black, Caspian, and Red Seas.  How much would it take to
flood this area?  And what would it matter if early human setlements in
northern Europe and Eastern Asia were not affected?  They were not members
of the races God was communicating with, at least so far as we know, so
they may have been exempt.)

> 	Changes in lifespan and weather indicate to me that radiation
> 		based dating would be totally off base for events
> 		prior to the flood.  (I.e. carbon 14).

And this statement shows how off base your thinking about carbon dating is.
Radio-carbon dating is accomplished by measuring how much of the radioactive
carbon has decayed since the thing *died*.  This rate is constant reagrdless
of previous lifespan, since the carbon is not being replaced at all.  And
how you make the connection between weather and radioisotope systems of dating
is beyond me.

> 	Evidently, some species were able to survive the flood without
> 		being in the Ark.  (E.g. insect eggs, fish eggs, plants,  etc.)
> 		The Bible says that everything that breathed died (Gen 7:22).
> 		Only breathing creatures were in the Ark (Gen 7:15).
>
> 	Was the flood the demise of dinosaurs?  (They were too big
> 		to fit in the Ark?)

Why would God single out the dinosaurs?  And why does the Bible not record
elsewhere anything about these great creatures who lived on the earth for
(by scientific estimates) over 350 million years, while humans have been
around for less than 2 million (and in societies for less than a quarter
of that)?  If such great beasts had been around with Noah, surely the
society would have made use of them or at least mentioned them.  This is
ignoring the vast amounts of evidence that shows that humans missed the
age of the dinosaur by 50 million years or so...

> 	What kind of sediment layers (mixed with creatures) would the
> 		flood produce?

I think that during Darwin's time Catastrophism was a prevalent belief.
This was basically the view that the history of the earth was mostly placid,
with rare but devastating catastrophies that served to change things.  This
was used to explain the changes in species and, for example, the Noahic
flood.  Darwin, among others, successfully refuted this view based on
geological observations.  I can't give a full defense of his findings here
(though Darwin does eloquently himself), but there is basically no evidence
for a world-wide flood in the geological strata.  I'm not saying that the
tale is fiction or an exaggeration; who am I to say what could or could
not happen by God's will?  There is, however, little or no clear geological
or biologcal evidence in favor of such a catastrophe.

> Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>

--

		Mike Sellers
	UUCP: {...your spinal column here...}!tektronix!tekecs!mikes

	   INNING:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  TOTAL
	IDEALISTS   0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0    1
	 REALISTS   1  1  0  4  3  1  2  0  2    0

dpw@rayssd.UUCP (Darryl P. Wagoner) (09/17/86)

> One current sceintific thought is that the "flood" was in fact the
> tidal after affect of the explosion of Thera (this probably
> caused the destruction of the Minoan civilization).  At the maximum it

Where was Thera and who was the Minoan civilizatio?
--
	Darryl Wagoner
	Raytheon Co.; Portsmouth RI; (401)-847-8000 x4089

best path             {allegra|gatech|mirror|raybed2}  ---------\
next best             {linus|ihnp4|pyrbos} ---------------------->!rayssd!dpw
if all else fails     {brunix|cci632} -------------------------/

Someone writes:
>Sorry, I don't see how the explosion of Thera
>could have caused the 'Biblical' flood.  The
>flood story we have in Genesis is almost certainly
>copied from the same source as the one in the
>Epic of Gilgamesh.  Now Thera blew her top around
>1450 BC.

Ignoring all the inferences about the various Sumerian flood sources, it
should be noted that the Thera eruption is right within the same time scale
as the Exodus.  Various theories have been posited in which the parted Yam
Suph ("Sea of Reeds") was actually on the Mediterranean coast, and having a
tidal wave cause both the dry land and the subsequent destruction of the
persuing egyptians.  THis fits well with a view of the Exodical account as
an exaggeration.

Of course, it would have been *awfully* convenient for fleeing Israelites :-)

C. Wingate

timothym@tekigm2.UUCP (Timothy D Margeson) (09/19/86)

Hi,

Thera, or Santorin, is an island in the Mediterranean Sea, just off the coast
of Greece. The island has a long volcanic history, and about 4 thousand years
age (+/- alot), violently erupted creating a tidal wave estimated to exceed
500 feet, subsiding to a mere 100 feet when the shock wave hit the island of
Crete. Crete is where the archeologists have been finding much in the way of
Minoan remains. The Minoans were a sea fareing culture, with a high degree of
technology (air conditioned homes with running water and flushable toilets).

Other theories surrounding Thera include the Exodus, where Moses was lead to
the 'Red' Sea (also translates to 'Reed' Sea). The Sea of Reeds on the north
coast of Egypt is a tidal swamp, that would be drained easily in the event of
a tidal shock wave. The theory goes like this: Moses followed a column of light
northward (the column that of the volcano spew while erupting), when Moses got
to the sea, he had nowhere else to go, as he had lead the people out onto a
narrow isthmus leading into the Sea of Reeds. Moses held the people together
for a few days - meanwhile, Pharoah decided to bring the people back into Egypt
and slavery, sneding the armies after them - as fortune would have it, just as
Moses saw the armies of Pharoah approaching, Thera exploded, spewing forth
great amounts of white hot lava bombs, and the volcanic crater collapsed under
the weight of the sea water. The collapse of the crater, with the explosion,
created a tidal wave estimated to be 2 to 5 times larger than the one created
by Krakatoa in the 1800's (which was felt as far away as San Francisco, some
8000 miles away, and had an initial crest of only 100 feet). The water drained
from the swampy Sea of Reeds to form the wave crest, allowing Moses to lead the
people westward across the once sea bottom. The Egyptians came to the sea a few
hours later, and began following Moses' tracks. It was then that the tidal wave
hit the Egyptian coastline (it would take about 1.5 to 2 hours for the wave to
propagate from Thera to Egypt at 400 to 500 mph, the average speed of tidal
waves). So the Egyptians were inundated with a tidal wave, killing most of them
in a blink of an eye, so to speak, while Moses looked on from the high ground
that is to the east of the Sea of Reeds. The whole tidal event would take about
3 to 4 hours to happen, which concurs with the biblical account.

As far as Thera creating the Flood, I really have not heard of this one, and I
seriously doubt there is any evidence to support it, although if anyone knows
of any, I would be happy to look it over.

Thanks, and good cheers.....

clewis@spectrix.UUCP (09/19/86)

In article <349@aw.sei.cmu.edu> firth@bd.sei.cmu.edu.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:

>Sorry, I don't see how the explosion of Thera
>could have caused the 'Biblical' flood.  The
>flood story we have in Genesis is almost certainly
>copied from the same source as the one in the
>Epic of Gilgamesh.  Now Thera blew her top around
>1450 BC.  And, although the version you usually
>find is the Akkadian translation (ca 800 BC) the
>original story was almost certainly Sumerian,
>and probably dates to before 2000BC.  So the
>story came first.

Actually, the way I heard it originally was that Thera can be used
for explaining the "parting of the Red Sea".  According to what I remember:

	- The word for "Red" is the same as "Reed" in Hebrew (I think, it
	  could have been some other language).
	- There is (was?) a small body of water in the area
	  called the "Reed Sea" which has (had?) a partially submerged
	  ridge across it.
	- The tidal surge from Thera could have uncovered the ridge
	  long enough for people to cross it. (Kinda like the movies
	  taken of a harbor during the Alaskan earthquake).  Wouldn't
	  have had much time tho...

Read this a long time ago, though.  May be a complete crock.  Might even have
been Velikovsky... (sigh...)

>Incidentally, I believe the current date for the
>end of the Minoan II period is well after 1450BC,
>so thera wasn't responsible for the destruction
>of Knossos either.

It certainly was responsible for destroying whatever civilization
lived on the island (it's called Santorini now isn't it?  Are
Santorini and Knossos the same place?) - it blew pretty well the whole
island out of the water.  It was an order of magnitude or two so more
powerful than the St. Helen's explosion, and more powerful than Krakatoa.
The tsunami would have completely anihilated everything and everybody within
a 10's of mile (or more) radius.

Question: one of the theories being bandied about is the possibility
that the Mediteranean may have been dry at one point (straits of
Gibralter being closed), and an earthquake or other landslip at one
point would have punctured the "wall" at Gibralter and the Atlantic
filled the Mediteranean in.

Anybody know what the conjectured date for this is?  Could this have been
"remembered" somehow and become the basis for a lot of similar of
legends? (Mu, Atlantis, the Flood, Gilgamesh etc.)?
--
Chris Lewis
UUCP: {utzoo|utcs|yetti|genat|seismo}!mnetor!spectrix!clewis

stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) (09/21/86)

This is in reponse to several flames.  I have included only the one quote.

In article <1148@cybvax0.UUCP>, mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:
> > Evolutionist:	The only alternative to evolution is special creation.
> > 	Since God doesn't exist, this is clearly impossible.  Therefore
> > 	evolution is true.  (Despite the evidence.)

	This is a very close quote by a respected proponent of evolution
encountered during my reading in college.  It is very unscholarly of me
to forget the name, but I am working on it and wanted to get a reply
out.  (And it has been years since my scholarly days.)

> Patent misrepresentation.  There are innumerable other alternatives, such
> as spontaneous generation, other mythological scenarios, etc.  Nor do
> scientists make the error of saying "because A isn't so, B is so."
> We simply say that evolution is the best supported hypothesis.
> (If you want to debate the evidence, go ahead.)

	You are correct, this error is not made in a scientific
capacity.  Many scientists, being human, have nevertheless made the
mistake and called it science.

What is science?  Let's see; this was years ago; I believe it went
	something like this:

"Science" is a system for accumulating knowledge about the Universe
we live in.

	Facts are established by *repeatable* and *observable*
	experiments.

	A hypothesis attempts to explain the facts.

	A hypothesis confirmed by additional *independent* experiments
	is known as a theory.

	A theory so well established that little or no disagreement
	remains within the community scientists is known as a law.

	In formulating and applying these laws, we *assume* that
	they are universally applicable.  (This is not neccessarily
	true.  Newton's laws of physics only apply within certain
	limits of relative velocity.  Einstein's laws may not always
	apply either.  There may {horrors} be still more that we
	don't know.)

For those who didn't know what "special evolution" was:

"Special relativity" refers to the well established laws of relative
motion published by Einstein.  General relativity refers to the later
extention of these laws to a theory encompassing gravitation as well.

"Special evolution" refers to the well established laws of environmental
adaptation (survival of the fittest) published by Darwin.  General
evolution refers to the later extension of these laws as a possible
explanation of the origin of life itself.

General evolution is a best a hypothesis.  The facts are established
by experiments that took place long ago and are not repeatable.  The
only possibility for confirmation (at present) is to predict that a
certain fossil (that has not already been found) should be found.  Are
there any instances of a successful prediction?  The journals are full
of "amazing finds".  If general evolution were such a well established
theory, a new fossil find should come as no more surprise than the
lastest atomic clock experiment confirming the validity of Einsteins
predictions.  I AM NOT SAYING THAT EVOLUTION IS WRONG.  I am just saying
that it by its very nature, like creation, is not scientifically verifiable.

Note, special evolution is scientific.  I can put white moths with
recessed genes for black in a black enviroment with visually guided
predators, and every time the moth population will become predominantly
black.

With advances in genetic research, it may become possible to
scientifically prove (or disprove) the *possibility* of general
evolution.  When we can observe artificially accelerated general
evolution in the laboratory, we will have established that life could
indeed arise from lifeless matter.  Perhaps we could even perform
the experiment on a planetary scale!

This still doesn't prove anything about what actually happened to us.
History is not a strictly scientific endeavor.  We can only prove that a
particular reenactment is *consistent* with the scientific laws
*that we know*.  If a 19'th century person heard of someone
travelling to a distant planet and
returning home 800 years later having aged only a few years, the
story would be dismissed as "unscientific".

By definition, creation is inconsistent with the scientific laws
we know.  Creation is not scientific (but might be true) and should
be treated as religion or cosmology in our schools.

General evolution is consistent with *many* of the facts and known laws.
this is what is meant by evolution being the "best available hypothesis".
The hypothesis is still being altered yearly to fit the latest facts.
If and when it finally becomes a theory (it could happen) or even
a law (it has to happen given certain conditions), it will be time
to begin teaching it as fact in our schools.  Until then, it
should be treated as science fiction.  Even then, the origin of our
earth should be regarded as history (a consistent sequence of events)
rather than scientific fact.  What do we really know about Napoleon?

Incidently, creation (apart from the initial miracle) is
also consistent with most of the facts.

Did you notice that the experimental fact on which science is based
is also history?  When we read in celtic mythology that Merlin
caused the blocks of stone to float through the air onto the waiting
ship, we assume that this is not really what happened.  Why do we
trust the story about the bomb that blew up a city?  Come on now,
do you really believe that one bomb could blow up an entire city? :-)
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>

pan@well.UUCP (Philip Nicholls) (09/21/86)

Re:  Carbon -14 dating.
Carbon 14 dating is only useful in a range of about 20,000 years or so.
Past this point, other radiation based methods are employed.  Since the
range of time for evolution is vast, C-14 is of more use to archaeologists
than to evolutionary biologists.

Alternative radiological dating techniques (such as Potassium-Argon dating)
are not subject to the contamination problem specific to C-14, but have
their own little inconvient quirks.

In article <7643@tekecs.UUCP>, mikes@tekecs.UUCP (Michael Sellers) writes:
> Better, "Here are some Biblical assertations of fact", for the non-faithful
> among us.

Agreed.

> > Onset:		Sudden.  Only the seven in the Ark had (100 years worth
> > 	of supernatural) warning.

> A nit: I thought it was more like 40 years of warning.  I could be wrong.

This is not conclusive.  But compare:
GEN 5:32
 After Noah was 500 years old, he became the father of Shem, Ham and
Japheth.
GEN 7:6
 Noah was six hundred years old when the floodwaters came on the earth.

(I would post the whole story, since no one seems to have actually looked
at it, but there are understandable objections to my doing so.)

> > Water source: the 'floodgates of heaven' and the 'fountains of the deep'.

> > 	(The objection that there is not enough water in the atmosphere
> > 	and polar caps is not sufficient.)

> Actually, I would think from a skeptic's point of view this would be a pretty
> good objection.  I would counter that neither of us can say if there is or
> could be enough water (the question is not central to the issue), but to
> say the objection is not sufficient without explanation is itself not
> sufficient.

	The "fountains of the deep" does not refer to polar caps and clouds.

> I think some of these things are open to debate.  Does the Bible say or imply
> that there were no seasons and that the average person (not selected persons
> mentioned) lived 900+ years, or are these your conclusions?

This is not conclusive, but consider:

GEN 2:5
 and no shrub of the field had yet appeared on the earth + Or land;
also in verse 6 + and no plant of the field had yet sprung up, for
the Lord God had not sent rain on the earth + Or land; also in verse
6 + and there was no man to work the ground,
 6   but streams + Or mist + came up from the earth and watered the
whole surface of the ground--
GEN 8:22
 "As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat,
summer and winter, day and night will never cease."

Have you know *one* person who lived to be 900? 120?

> Radio-carbon dating is accomplished by measuring how much of the radioactive
> carbon has decayed since the thing *died*.  This rate is constant reagrdless
> of previous lifespan, since the carbon is not being replaced at all.  And

How much radioactive carbon did the the have *before* it died?  How long
was the candle before it started burning?

> Why would God single out the dinosaurs?  And why does the Bible not record
> elsewhere anything about these great creatures who lived on the earth for

Check out Job 40:15 - 41:34.  (I have already quoted this on the net!)

P.S.  So called "fossil evidence" has always puzzled me.  It's not so
much the "missing links" but the absence of *any* continous change between
species!
--

In article <172@sas.UUCP>, flash@sas.UUCP (Gordon Keener) writes:

>   I would expect the flood to be rather violent, and that the
> turbulence would cause at least a few feet of existing ground cover to

You should have read an earlier article with an estimate of the amount
of water required to flood the entire earth.  The point was that coming
from above in a period of 40 days, this would have destroyed the ark!
Coming from below (remember the fountains of the deep?) it would certainly
disturb more than a few feet of ground cover!  I am claiming that much
of the sediment you see actually came from the flood.  I can't be
dogmatic about this, I just find the whole business of calibrating
the various dating methods with each other highly circular.
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>

speter@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Peter Osgood) (09/22/86)

Let's get to the point really quick.  Excluding strict fundamentalists
most theologean, I believe, would agree that the Bible, in its entirety,
is not a reliable document for historical accuracy.  What about creation,
was there a flood, how old were the early characters in the Bible, did
Jonah live in a whale; this all reminds me of the tree falling in a
forest argument.

So why have a Bible?  Simple.  Moses, who was responsible for at least
five books, and his decendants, knew that his followers and decendants
needed a guide for living daily life.  They needed something to refer
to give them some insight into how they should act.

In the New Testament Jesus made it quite clear that he was talking in
parables or stories.  His concern was that his followers be concerned
with the moral of the story and not as to wheather the characters in
the story actually ever existed.  Was there really a "Good Samaritan"
as Jesus told it?  Maybe, but does it make a difference?

I think that creation shows us who gave us life, not when; the flood
and Sodom and Gomorrah show us who has the power; that Job and Jesus
show us perseverence and charity work.

So would not a better arguement for "the flood" be why rather than
wheather??

Just a thought.

				---peter osgood---

msb@dciem.UUCP (Mark Brader) (09/23/86)

Chris Lewis (whose Reply-To reads "clewis@.UUCP"!) writes:

> Question: one of the theories being bandied about is the possibility
> that the Mediteranean may have been dry at one point (straits of
> Gibraltar being closed), and an earthquake or other landslip at one
> point would have punctured the "wall" at Gibralter and the Atlantic
> filled the Mediteranean in.
>
> Anybody know what the conjectured date for this is?  Could this have been
> "remembered" somehow and become the basis for a lot of similar of
> legends? (Mu, Atlantis, the Flood, Gilgamesh etc.)?

See two articles by Kenneth J. Hsu in Scientific American, in the December
1972 and May 1978 issues.  The evidence that the Mediterranean was in fact
dry is very convincing*.  However, the date of the drying-out is estimated
at 6 million years ago, while the refilling is given as 5.5 million years
ago in the earlier article, 5.2 million in the later one.  Since nobody
believes there were humans that long ago, it would not appear that this
could be the origin of any flood legends.

*For instance, under the sediments of the Mediterranean floor there are
 vast deposits of salt; also, at the mouths of great rivers such as the
 Nile, there are underwater canyons, now likewise buried, exactly such as
 the rivers would have carved if the sea level was thousands of feet lower.

The fossils detected from immediately after the refilling carry implications
about the salinity level, from which the rate of refilling can be deduced.
It turns out that the flow past Gibraltar must have had about 1,000 times
the volume of Niagara Falls -- and it still took 100 years to fill the basin!

Mark Brader, utzoo!dciem!msb
	Until 3,000 million years ago we can say not a lot happened
	although further study would not come amiss.  Then signs of life
	appeared, including some large reptiles and, very recently, bipeds.
	It is too soon to say whether these bipeds will play an important
	part in the world's story.    -- Colin Morris in "History Today"

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (09/23/86)

In article <210@BMS-AT.UUCP> stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP writes:
> For those who didn't know what "special evolution" was:
>
> "Special evolution" refers to the well established laws of environmental
> adaptation (survival of the fittest) published by Darwin.  General
> evolution refers to the later extension of these laws as a possible
> explanation of the origin of life itself.

I'd be curious to know whose classification that is.  Terms in use by
most scientists don't include those, but do include:

abiogenesis	origin of life from the inorganic
microevolution	gene frequency changes within populations or species
speciation	the evolution of new species
macroevolution	the evolution of larger taxa than species with particular
		attention to the innovation of radically different structures.

> General evolution is a best a hypothesis.  The facts are established
> by experiments that took place long ago and are not repeatable.

Abiogenesis is a theory.  The historical event that resulted in life on
earth took place long ago and cannot be observed.

The only rival naturalistic theory that comes to mind is panspermia.

Macroevolution is also a theory.  The origin of the taxa also took place
long ago.  There is no serious scientific rival to this theory, though
creationists like to pretend they are the alternative.

> The only possibility for confirmation (at present) is to predict that a
> certain fossil (that has not already been found) should be found.  Are
> there any instances of a successful prediction?  The journals are full
> of "amazing finds".  If general evolution were such a well established
> theory, a new fossil find should come as no more surprise than the
> lastest atomic clock experiment confirming the validity of Einsteins
> predictions.

The most successful predictions have been in the macroevolution of the
vertebrates: the demonstration that birds arose from the dinosaurs.
Archaeopteryx and the other recently discovered fossil primitive bird
make a convincing link between the features of reptiles and birds.

"Amazing" finds in the fossil record no more disprove evolution than the
amazing finds of live animals like the platypus disproved creationism.
Just as creationists said "God created more than we knew about", so
scientists can observe that more taxa have evolved than we have yet
discovered.

> I AM NOT SAYING THAT EVOLUTION IS WRONG.  I am just saying
> that it by its very nature, like creation, is not scientifically verifiable.

No theory is "scientifically verifiable".  At best, a theory may be refutable
in the Popperian sense.  These criteria do exist for evolution: for example,
if a mosaic pattern (rather than the hierarchical patter we observe) of
characters of species is discovered, then evolution would be falsified.
There have been many opportunities for this to happen, with every discovery
of a new fossil, with every investigation into comparative anatomy, genetics,
or biochemistry.

> With advances in genetic research, it may become possible to
> scientifically prove (or disprove) the *possibility* of general
> evolution.  When we can observe artificially accelerated general
> evolution in the laboratory, we will have established that life could
> indeed arise from lifeless matter.  Perhaps we could even perform
> the experiment on a planetary scale!

This testability is what makes evolutionary theory scientific.  But it's
not just future tests that evolution has to pass: it has already passed
innumerable other tests since 1857 as our biological and biochemical
knowledge has increased.

> This still doesn't prove anything about what actually happened to us.

Correct.  Science doesn't prove ANYTHING.  For example, the movement of
the planets might not be due to universal gravitation, but due to being
pushed by invisible angels.  Science does provide the best theories.
Best by the criteria of ease of use, application of Occam's Razor,
conformity to observation, etc.
--

credmond@watmath.UUCP (Chris Redmond) (09/24/86)

In article <1188@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU> speter@athena.mit.edu (Peter Osgood) writes:

>So why have a Bible?  Simple.  Moses, who was responsible for at least
>five books, and his decendants, knew that his followers and decendants
>needed a guide for living daily life.  They needed something to refer
>to give them some insight into how they should act.
>
>So would not a better arguement for "the flood" be why rather than
>whether??

Yes, of course.   The United Church of Canada describes the Bible
as "the only infallible rule of faith and life" -- I believe other
Protestant, especially Presbyterian, churches use similar phrases.
Nothing at all in there about being an infallible textbook of
science or history!

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (09/24/86)

In article <214@BMS-AT.UUCP> stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:

>P.S.  So called "fossil evidence" has always puzzled me.  It's not so
>much the "missing links" but the absence of *any* continous change between
>species!

As I recall, certain lines do in fact show continuous change (certain
brachiopods, maybe?). The lack of continuous change has puzzled other
people, too. Some people today argue that evolution is in fact
punctuational: that once speciation occurs, little change usually
occurs in a species. That's why modern Homo Sapiens are mostly
indistinguishable from fossil Homo Sapiens. Evolution takes place (the
theory goes) in small populations undergoing intense selective
pressure. Not all evolutionary theorists buy the punctuationalist
arguments, however.

                       -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

garys@bunker.UUCP (Gary M. Samuelson) (09/26/86)

In article <1159@cybvax0.UUCP> mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:

>No theory is "scientifically verifiable".  At best, a theory may be refutable
>in the Popperian sense.  These criteria do exist for evolution: for example,
>if a mosaic pattern (rather than the hierarchical pattern we observe) of
>characters of species is discovered, then evolution would be falsified.

This seems like a place to start a fruitful discussion.  Would you go into
more detail regarding what would constitute a 'mosaic' pattern, as opposed
to a 'hierarchical' pattern?  Would finding what were considered modern
features in what was thought to be a primitive creature an example of
a 'mosaic' pattern?  Would finding features which were common to what
were thought to be distant relatives, but not common to what were thought
to be close relatives, an example of a 'mosaic' pattern?  (I'm just trying
to find out if I have a good feel for what a 'mosaic pattern' is.)

It occurs to me to wonder how much of the hierarchical pattern is 'really'
there, and how much is imposed on the observations because that is what
people expected or wanted to find.  It further occurs to me that some
patterns ought to be considered mosaic, but are forced into the hierarchical
model as examples of parallel evolution, or some such phrase meaning
that, yes, it's an exception, but we aren't going to let it bother us.
(That probably doesn't sound the way I want it to; take it as a suggestion
for introspection.  The ones who never question their objectivity are
the ones I think are least objective.)

It also occurs to me to ask whether creationism predicts a mosaic or
a hierarchical pattern (I know that many say that creationism doesn't
predict anything; please refrain from flooding the net with statements
to that effect.  I want to know what (if anything) creationism does
predict.)

Hoping for answers, not flames.

Gary Samuelson

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (09/26/86)

In article <1199@bunker.UUCP> garys@bunker.UUCP (Gary M. Samuelson) asks some
excellent questions:
> In article <1159@cybvax0.UUCP> mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:
>
> >No theory is "scientifically verifiable".  At best, a theory may be refutable
> >in the Popperian sense.  These criteria do exist for evolution: for example,
> >if a mosaic pattern (rather than the hierarchical pattern we observe) of
> >characters of species is discovered, then evolution would be falsified.
>
> This seems like a place to start a fruitful discussion.  Would you go into
> more detail regarding what would constitute a 'mosaic' pattern, as opposed
> to a 'hierarchical' pattern?  Would finding what were considered modern
> features in what was thought to be a primitive creature an example of
> a 'mosaic' pattern?  Would finding features which were common to what
> were thought to be distant relatives, but not common to what were thought
> to be close relatives, an example of a 'mosaic' pattern?  (I'm just trying
> to find out if I have a good feel for what a 'mosaic pattern' is.)

Yes: if there is enough of this sort of odd data, it becomes impossible
to postulate a phylogeny (based on the data-- you can always just make one
up. :-)

> It occurs to me to wonder how much of the hierarchical pattern is 'really'
> there, and how much is imposed on the observations because that is what
> people expected or wanted to find.  It further occurs to me that some
> patterns ought to be considered mosaic, but are forced into the hierarchical
> model as examples of parallel evolution, or some such phrase meaning
> that, yes, it's an exception, but we aren't going to let it bother us.
> (That probably doesn't sound the way I want it to; take it as a suggestion
> for introspection.  The ones who never question their objectivity are
> the ones I think are least objective.)

Actually, this is a problem that I have asked my frieds who are professional
cladists about.  They answer that yes, they do find mosaic data in their
studies, but that it is usually greatly outweighed by overall hierarchical
patterns.  It's a good question how the mosaic data can be accounted for:
there are a fair number of possibilities.

First, the data consists of phenotypic character states, such as whether or
not it has a bill like a duck.  The duck-billed platypus is an example of a
seeming exception contributing towards mosaic data.  But if you look more
closely at the platypus bill, it has a completely different structure than a
ducks.  So one reason for mosaic-appearing data is insufficiently exact
observation.  Most "parallel evolution" won't pass as truly the same
character under close enough examination.

But let's say that the character is something less complex, like a knob on
the leg of a beetle.  Say no amount of exacting observation can tell the
difference between two knobs.  Still, the knob is a phenotypic character:
it is what develops from the particular assortment of genes.  Many different
assortments of genes can create the same phenotypic character.  So another
reason for mosaic-appearing data is the phenotype/genotype distinction.

Finally, a third common source of mosaic-appearing data is hybridization.
This is much more common between plants than animals.  When hybridization
is guessed, frequently a seemingly mosaic pattern can be made sense of.

> It also occurs to me to ask whether creationism predicts a mosaic or
> a hierarchical pattern (I know that many say that creationism doesn't
> predict anything; please refrain from flooding the net with statements
> to that effect.  I want to know what (if anything) creationism does
> predict.)

To the best of my knowledge, creationism doesn't predict any particular
pattern: hierarchical or mosaic patterns work just as well with creationist
ideas (such as they are :-).  It is interesting to me that with all the
blather creationists make about Biblical "kinds", there is NO published
enumeration or classification of "kinds" by any creationist.

Keep up the good questions, Gary.
--

"There is a thin line between ignorance and arrogance.
I have erased that line!"  --   Professor Science

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

sundar@cwruecmp.UUCP (Sundar R. Iyengar) (09/29/86)

In article <136@spectrix.UUCP> clewis@.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:

>Question: one of the theories being bandied about is the possibility
>that the Mediteranean may have been dry at one point (straits of
>Gibralter being closed), and an earthquake or other landslip at one
>point would have punctured the "wall" at Gibralter and the Atlantic
>filled the Mediteranean in.

Going by the theory of Plate Tectonics, the African plate separated from
the Antartican plate and joined Europian plate.  If this is true, water
would have gotten trapped in the Mediterranean region irrespective of whether
Gibralter was closed or not.

sundar r. iyengar

arpa:  sundar.case@csnet-relay     531, crawford hall
csnet: sundar@case		   case western reserve university
uucp:  decvax!cwruecmp!sundar	   cleveland, oh 44106

magore@watdcsu.UUCP (M.A.Gore - ICR) (10/01/86)

>"There is a thin line between ignorance and arrogance.
>I have erased that line!"  --   Professor Science
>--
>Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

	Very good quote. Good lesson, let's not *just* ERASE the 'line'
as well....
	 (hint the arrogant person *erases* the line the ignorant
person can't tell that a 'fast one' was pulled on him....)
	-This is not what the quote intended to say to be sure... (-:

# My comment here *does not* reflect on the content of this current
# topic. Just underpins an *idea* given voice here before.....
# Mike Gore
# Institute for Computer Research.
# These ideas/concepts do not imply views held by the University of Waterloo.

magore@watdcsu.UUCP (10/02/86)

In article <2604@watdcsu.UUCP> magore@watdcsu.UUCP (M.A.Gore - ICR) writes:
Replying to myself:
> ="There is a thin line between ignorance and arrogance.
> =I have erased that line!"  --   Professor Science
> =--
> =Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh
>
>	Very good quote. Good lesson, let's not *just* ERASE the 'line'
>as well....
>	 (hint the arrogant person *erases* the line the ignorant
>person can't tell that a 'fast one' was pulled on him....)
>	-This is not what the quote intended to say to be sure... (-:

	I have made an error... There is *no line* between ignorance and
arrogance... - ignorance is a state of mind - arrogance is a state of
heart... Hence no line connects them... So science can't help much here
-read as attitude-...  Anger is a state of heart also...
	In a recent posting I expressed a little too much of the
wrong type of anger to Mike Huybensz and perhaps clouded the
good points I had to say... I am sorry for that type of anger
and would like to say so here -since I made 'it' public-....