[talk.religion.misc] Resurrection Questions

daveh@tekcrl.UUCP (Dave Hatcher) (09/30/86)

   I am wondering what significance (spiritualy speaking) the resurrection
   has on our salvation.

   What is the resurrection saying compared to the crucifixion, in response
   to our salvation.

	Dave Hatcher

ptl@fluke.UUCP (10/03/86)

Hi,

In article <1060@tekcrl.UUCP> daveh@tekcrl.UUCP (Dave Hatcher) writes:
>... What is the resurrection saying compared to the crucifixion, in response
>   to our salvation. ... Dave Hatcher

Both are equally required for salvation to be a reality.  Either one
without the other would have denied the prophesies of the Old Testament
and Jesus' own prophesies.

The resurrection also tells us there is a higher goal to our suffering on
earth - eternal life with God.  The greatest suffering for me is dieing to
my own self-centered pride.  This is separate from the pride God wants me
to have in myself and my abilities.

God Bless,

Mike Andrews

kiki@isieng.UUCP (10/03/86)

In article <1060@tekcrl.UUCP> daveh@tekcrl.UUCP (Dave Hatcher) writes:

>   I am wondering what significance (spiritualy speaking) the resurrection
>   has on our salvation.
>
>   What is the resurrection saying compared to the crucifixion, in response
>   to our salvation.
>
>	Dave Hatcher

Hi Dave!,

The resurrection is important for several different reasons.  The resurrection
itself is not cause for our salvation.  We are saved by Jesus who did the
things you said (i.e., was crucified, was resurrected.)

The resurrection as compared to the crucifixion is important because it shows
different aspects of God.  First off, God told man through the prophets
that Jesus would be raised.  Matthew 20:19 "And the third day he shall rise
again."  The Bible outlined Jesus' life before he came to earth so that we
could identify Him as the Son of God.  The Resurrection is one way he was
identified.  (Not too many people can come back to life after three days :-)).
Luke 9:22 "The Son of God must suffer many things, and be rejected of the
elders and chief priests and scribes, and be slain, and be raised the third
day."  The Bible says that Jesus would come to earth through the front door
meaning that he would clearly fulfill the prophecies, so that we will know
that He is the Son of God.

His death and resurrection, the Bible says, was done in our behalf to bring
us into relationship with God.  1 Peter 3:18 "For Christ also hath once suffered
for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to
death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit."  The Spirit here indicates
that even though Christ is physically dead, his Spirit is still alive.

Another important aspect of the resurrection is that after Jesus was resurrected
and went back to heaven, the Holy Spirit was given to man.  Jesus walking on
earth after his death shows the power and on-going existence of God.  Jesus
wasn't just a great teacher and man; he is an on-going part of our lives now.
He is not a man who lived and died; he is a man who lived on earth and still
lives in eternity.

Kiki