[talk.religion.misc] Right and Wrong

hadeishi@husc4.harvard.edu (mitsuharu hadeishi) (10/07/86)

In article <1312@magic.DEC.COM> Glenn writes:
>In article <232@BMS-AT.UUCP>, stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:
>> Did it ever occur to anyone that something might
>> be true (or false) even if no one believes it to be true (or false)?

	Yes.

	And it is for this very reason that you must, yes MUST, doubt
the doctrine of your temporal Church.  If you are to remain faithful to
the living God, as you call Him, you must deal with Him directly.  The
Church may provide guidance, but it is flawed as are all human institutions.
As Dr. Gene Scott put it, "Don't be intimidated!"  Churches and Bibles
may provide guidance, but never perfect guidance.  To worship a
doctrine is the SAME as worshipping a graven image; idolatry!
God is not defined by any written Word; God is.  Nameless, without
definition.  The truth sits there, like love, waiting to be revealed.
(Remember His response to the question, "WHAT IS YOUR NAME?")

>> Christianity makes certain statements about the universe (and beyond).
>> These statements are either true or false.

	All statements are flawed.  Some statements more than others.
The flaw resides in the lack of clarity about the meanings of the words,
the meanings of the sentences, and the mind of the writer and reader.
These are not minor flaws; in the case of most religious statements
(either pro or con) they are fatal flaws.  In this case it is silly to try
to determine the truth or falsity of a particular statement because the
items being referred to in the statement have very little to do with the
real world.  I.e., if God is not what you and your adversary thinks
He is, then it is ridiculous to say either "God exists" or "God does
not exist."  Both statements are foolish if this is the case.  In the
former case because God is not the God of the speaker, in the latter
because the speaker is really thinking of a world view which does
not exhaust the alternative possibilities.

	The danger lies therefore in asking the wrong questions.
To the wrong questions there are no good answers, and debates will
rage forever.  Sounds like Hell to me.

>> 	Wake up! HASA and SASA especially! You guys are supposed to be
>> finding out what's really true!  I am sick and tired of relative truth.
>> Let's show why Christianity is false, or why it is true.  But let's not
>> have this "whatever works for you" drivel.

	Here is a possible logic-world for you:
	There is only one ultimate truth.  However, there are many relative
truths, frequently seemingly contradictory.  So Stuart wants to find
ultimate truth, HASA and SASA are scrambling for relative truths.
Both aspirations are valid, not contradictory.  (This is simply a
conjecture.  Call it a "synthesis" if you like.  I personally hold
this view, however.)

>> Remember, somebody might be right!
>
>     Yes, a scary thought, don't you agree? Of course, the possiblity exists
>that perhaps we're both right, or even both wrong!

	A very grave possibility, indeed :-).  More possible than you
perhaps imagine!

	A funny story:  A serious debate was raging within a Zen monastery.
Many members became involved in serious argument, but the head of the
monastery refused to commit himself.  Finally he put this message on his
door: "Those who argue about right and wrong are the very ones who are
right and wrong."  After that, no more arguing was heard in the
halls of that monastery.

				-Mitsu

P.S.  Please do not take the above too seriously.  I am just playing
with words.  However, the source of the above words I take very seriously.