[talk.religion.misc] Only two positions?

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (10/01/86)

From: gkm@ho95e.UUCP (Gary McNees):
>Should I attempt to convince you
>or someone else who is not a Christian of the truth of Christianity,
>I would use an entirely different approach.  It is referred to as a
>presuppositional argument.  If is best presented by a Christian
>named Cornelius Van Till.  In essence, it shows that there are
>really only two positions: the Christian one and the non-Christian
>one.  Next, each position is presupposed as being the truth, and
>tested as to its ability to explain reality.

	Could you expand on this? Especially the part about
there really only being two positions. I've noticed this as a
hidden premise in some pro-Xian arguments, but I've never seen
it properly defended.

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	ELECTRIC AVENUE:	 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,hao,hplabs}!ames!barry

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (10/07/86)

>...In essence, it shows that there are really only two positions: the
>Christian one and the non-Christian one.

Wrong, wafer-breath!  Sounds more like, "really only two positions: the
correct one (mine) and the incorrect one (yours)".  Seems to me you've
left out the positions of many other forms of religion and non-religion.
'Course, you can draw line anywhere you like, but done in this fashion
they as useless as an undrawn line.
Dave Haynie	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh
		"Techno-Hippie, heathen, designing evil computers"

	These opinions are my own, though if you try them out, and decide
	that you really like them, a small donation would be appreciated.