[talk.religion.misc] Holy Hubert

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (10/05/86)

In article <2773@pogo.UUCP> daveb@pogo.UUCP (Dave Butler) writes:

>    I remember being harangued on my college campus by evangelists (Only
>in my day it was Holy Hubert and self proclaimed Saint Ray. I wonder if
>they're still around), I and my girlfriend insulted just because we
>walked by.

   Hey, anybody else remember Holy Hubert? I'm tired of hearing about
Bro Jed -- Hubert is still #1 as far as I am concerned and I wonder
what became of him.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
ucbvax!weyl!gsmith            "When Ubizmo talks, people listen."

marty@ism780c.UUCP (10/07/86)

This message is empty.

jaw@nike.UUCP (James A. Woods) (10/08/86)

#  "i live in berkeley, the open ward" -- bumper sticker, 1970's

>    Hey, anybody else remember Holy Hubert? I'm tired of hearing about
> what became of him.

dealt antiques out of emeryville for awhile -- maybe still does.
he never did need a bullhorn ala the secular types like m. savio.

the supercilious grin hh always donned between throaty gasps
and the bulging cranial vein effect always reminded me of
hershell gordon lewis' "10000 maniacs" filmic characterizations,
more than, say, the understated madness of huston's "wise blood".
lord knows out of what private hell hubert's visage arose.

but then there was "crazy liza", and "the orange man", and "serge"
(harvard '59, ex-ibm'er) who stood around on telegraph grimacing
"the square root of business" to random passers-by.  he fell off a cliff
a couple years back.

a lot of these street crazies have the bad teeth so symptomatic
of one-too-many electro-shock treatments; there used to be a few on
every campus ...

but hear now, let's entertain no discussion of "ordinary" characters:
the math prof. sent up the river for first-degree (sort of a reverse
streleski, about whom graffiti still adorns the urinals at stanford),
or mild-mannered street poets or jugglers, the "bubble lady", or the
"moon man" (still holding on to the one-acre lunar parcel he sold me).

o.k. over to you, have i missed much from the 80's?  or has your college
completed the blue velvet transition to stepford wives levittown i like to
imagine?

ames!jaw

rhetorical p.s:  where are those marvelous miniature apocalyptic jesus
freak comix (courtesy jack t. chick productions) now that we need them?