[talk.religion.misc] Best for Others?

trash@oliveb.UUCP (Tom Repa) (10/01/86)

n.b. > = Kiki Herbst
     >>= Tom Albrecht

>>>The unique contribution of the Christian gospel is that it makes us a
>>>people who are more interested in your rights than in my rights.  We should
>>>all be as the Samaritan who was willing to risk life and property for the
>>>sake of another.
>>>
>>>Tom Albrecht
>>>"Reformata, semper reformanda"

>When one becomes a Christian many changes occur in his or her life.
>The biggest change is that God becomes the center of the person's life
>rather than self being the center.   ...
>
>    ...  Now imagine the ideal situation where everybody reacted to life
>in this way, wanted the best for others.  If everybody lived their lives
>in that way, I think we'd have a pretty good idea of what heaven is like.
>Kiki
	Pardon me if I like my afterlife in a different flavor.

"Wanting the _best_ for others"??? Who decides what is best? Me? You?
Your God? My Gods? Your *interpratations* of what your God wants?
My *interpratation* of what my Gods want?   Who decides?
Does "wanting the best for others" mean forcing  your opinions of what
is best  for them on them?  If it does how do you know if what you're
forcing on them is really the best? i.e.: She would have gone to Med
school, met the perfect man, and together they discovered how to
cure cancer, AIDS, and a host of degenerative neurological disorders
collectively known as "Reagan's Syndrome." Instead she had to stay out
school one semester to give birth to a child and give it up for adoption,
didn't take the class with the brilliant researcher who directed her
interest to research, and the perfect man with whom she would have had
such brilliant rapport. So she just became a good M.D.

	The answer is, of course, you don't. No one can. Except of
course your God and a host of my Gods. But my Gods aren't telling
and I don't trust your God. Which is why I think you should be
concerned with your life and leave mine alone. Each of us are
personally responsible for doing the best we can in this life and
no one else can live our life for us. So each of us must determine
what is best for ourselves. If you would like to inform me, go
ahead, but please don't try to legislate it.
	Your idea of heaven sounds to me a lot like the one
Robert Heinlein wrote of in "JOB: A comedy of Justice".
If you haven't read it, try it.
			Tom Repa (trash@oliven)

kiki@isieng.UUCP (10/03/86)

In article <51@oliveb.UUCP> trash@oliveb.UUCP (Tom Repa) writes:

>n.b. > = Kiki Herbst
>     >>= Tom Albrecht

>>When one becomes a Christian many changes occur in his or her life.
>>The biggest change is that God becomes the center of the person's life
>>rather than self being the center.   ...
>>Kiki
>	Pardon me if I like my afterlife in a different flavor.
>
>"Wanting the _best_ for others"??? Who decides what is best? Me? You?
>Your God? My Gods? Your *interpratations* of what your God wants?
>My *interpratation* of what my Gods want?   Who decides?

>Does "wanting the best for others" mean forcing  your opinions of what
>is best  for them on them?  If it does how do you know if what you're
>forcing on them is really the best?

I missed the first part of this discussion, so I was just commenting on
what Tom had written.  As for forcing opinions, though, you are right,
I don't know what's right for everyone, so I wouldn't try to force my
opinions on anybody.  But I am concerned with the way I live *my* life.
I know that God has a better mind then I do, so I rely on him for insight.
If someone also believes in God and relies on that same insight, I feel
very open to accepting advice from that person.  The thing about having
God decide is that God is Truth.  That's what he said through his son
Jesus.  (You can accept or reject that, that's your business.)  I believe
he is truth, so basing decisions on him won't cause the decision to vary
depending on the people involved, depending on the circumstatnce, depending
on interpretations and everything else you said.  God doesn't change.

>	The answer is, of course, you don't. No one can. Except of
>course your God and a host of my Gods. But my Gods aren't telling
>and I don't trust your God. Which is why I think you should be
>concerned with your life and leave mine alone. Each of us are
>personally responsible for doing the best we can in this life and
>no one else can live our life for us. So each of us must determine
>what is best for ourselves. If you would like to inform me, go
>ahead, but please don't try to legislate it.

Just information :-).  I would be the last person to legislate because I
hate being legislated to!  I agree with what you said.  Let me ask you,
how do you determine "what is best for ourselves", how do you determine
truth or what is right?

>	Your idea of heaven sounds to me a lot like the one
>Robert Heinlein wrote of in "JOB: A comedy of Justice".
>If you haven't read it, try it.

What do you think my concept of heaven is?  I know what the Bible says about
heaven and it sounds like a great place to me!

>			Tom Repa (trash@oliven)

Kiki

mberkley@watdcsu.UUCP (J.M.Berkley - Computing Services) (10/04/86)

{}
In article <51@oliveb.UUCP> trash@oliveb.UUCP (Tom Repa) writes:
>Does "wanting the best for others" mean forcing  your opinions of what
>is best  for them on them?

I believe that you ARE free to choose what is best for you, however
with every choice there are consequences.  If you decide that it is
in your best interests to rob a bank, then you are free to do so.
However, there are consequences to that action.  Those consequences
are enforced by society to protect the innocent.

Having sex makes you responsible for the consequences.  Having
an abortion is only an attempt to lessen the natural consequences
of that act.  Unfortunately, this involves the life of the one person
who is not guilty of anything: the baby.  "wanting the best for
others" means wanting the best for the child, not cutting him or
her off from life before birth.  Thus society should try to protect
this innocent little one.

So what about the mother and her rights?  In my opinion, she chose
to forgo those rights when she chose to have sex.  She should abide by
the consequences of her decision.  If she decides to abort her baby,
then she chooses another set of consequences, far worse than carrying
the baby to term.  I'm not talking about "Eternal" consequences, but
consequences right now: guilt and remorse, sterility, etc.,etc.

Do I sound high and mighty?  Yes.  What right do I have to dictate
what is right and wrong?  None.  But the truth still does not change.
I am not going to force anything upon an unwed mother, but abortion
is not the "best" thing to do for the baby or for the mother.

Mike Berkley

(PS - Please note, I'm talking about those cases where two people have
decided freely to have sex and have had "an accident;" I'm not
making a general statement about any other situation.)

marty1@houem.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) (10/05/86)

In <2617@watdcsu.UUCP>, mberkley@watdcsu.UUCP (J.M.Berkley - Computing
Services) wrote:

>Having sex makes you responsible for the consequences.  Having
>an abortion is only an attempt to lessen the natural consequences
>of that act.  Unfortunately, this involves the life of the one person
>who is not guilty of anything: the baby...
>
>So what about the mother and her rights?  In my opinion, she chose
>to forgo those rights when she chose to have sex.  She should abide by
>the consequences of her decision.  If she decides to abort her baby,
>then she chooses another set of consequences, far worse than carrying
>the baby to term.  I'm not talking about "Eternal" consequences, but
>consequences right now: guilt and remorse, sterility, etc.,etc.
>
>Do I sound high and mighty?  Yes.  What right do I have to dictate
>what is right and wrong?  None.  But the truth still does not change.
>I am not going to force anything upon an unwed mother, but abortion
>is not the "best" thing to do for the baby or for the mother.
>
>Mike Berkley

Thanks.  As far as I know, that's essentially the pro-choice position,
with two exceptions.  First, "Eternal" consequences are relevant for
those who believe in them.  Second, the fetus is not legally a
"person," for reasons that have been gone over before in this
newsgroup, so the state need not concern itself with protecting it.
Therefore, the list of consequences of abortion includes a lot of
"etc.," but don't add legal consequences to the list.

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201)-949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	ihnp4!houem!marty1

mberkley@watdcsu.UUCP (J.M.Berkley - Computing Services) (10/06/86)

In article <649@houem.UUCP> marty1@houem.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) writes:
>Second, the fetus is not legally a
>"person," for reasons that have been gone over before in this
>newsgroup, so the state need not concern itself with protecting it.
Maybe this is true in a legal sense, but not morally.  I'm
talking about morality in society, not legality.  Morally, you
can't do anything but consider the fetus a "person."

The view of pro-choice is that an unborn baby is not a person,
the view of pro-life is that the unborn baby is a person.
(This states the obvious, but you seem to need to hear it.)

Hopefully forums like this will lead to the unborn baby being
accorded the rights of a person in the law's eyes as well.

Mike Berkley

trash@oliveb.UUCP (Tom Repa) (10/06/86)

>>n.b. > = Kiki Herbst
>>     >>= Tom Repa

>>Does "wanting the best for others" mean forcing  your opinions of what
>>is best  for them on them?  If it does how do you know if what you're
>>forcing on them is really the best?
>
>                                            ....  The thing about having
> God decide is that God is Truth.  That's what he said through his son
> Jesus.  (You can accept or reject that, that's your business.)  I believe
> he is truth, so basing decisions on him won't cause the decision to vary
> depending on the people involved, depending on the circumstatnce, depending
> on interpretations and everything else you said.  God doesn't change.
	You say I can accept or reject the above statements. But the
whole point of talk.abotion is that some people are basing their world
view on the bible, and expecting other people to accept it. By Law.
I realize sometimes people try saying "it's killing a baby" and divorce
their arguments from religion, but the fact remains that some people do
not agree with that world view and, to use the wharf rats UNIX notation,
but it's a !baby. [n.b. I realize other people disagree with abortion
on other grounds, but this is a reply to Kiki. Hell, I don't LIKE the
thought of an abortion, or its use. But I think that if it is used to
allow people to move to a point in their life when they _want_ a child
and can afford to raise the child(ren) in a loving and caring environment,
then it is for the greater good of all involved.]
[[ Oh Boy! Now we can get into a Spockian discussion of the need of the
many vs. the need of the one. What Fun!]]

> Just information :-).  I would be the last person to legislate because I
> hate being legislated to!  I agree with what you said.  Let me ask you,
> how do you determine "what is best for ourselves", how do you determine
> truth or what is right?
	At least we agree on something!
But does the above hold true with regard to abortion?
If not, why not?

>>	Your idea of heaven sounds to me a lot like the one
>>Robert Heinlein wrote of in "JOB: A comedy of Justice".
>>If you haven't read it, try it.
>
> What do you think my concept of heaven is?  I know what the Bible says about
> heaven and it sounds like a great place to me!

Whoops! Sorry, you're right. I don't _know_ what your idea of heaven is,
although I think I have a good guess because of your frequent references
to the bible. My interpatation of what the bible says makes it sound, to me,
like an extremely boring place. So I guess I would rather go somewhere else.
Valhalla, perhaps. Or maybe Nirvana. Or maybe just get reincarnated as a
goat. :-)

					Tom Repa (trash@oliven)

--
Have you ever noticed how much they look like orchids?  Beautiful!!

Path:	{allegra,glacier,hplabs,ihnp4}!oliveb!oliven!trash

c160-aw@zooey.Berkeley.EDU (Christian Wiedmann) (10/07/86)

In article <2621@watdcsu.UUCP> mberkley@watdcsu.UUCP (J.M.Berkley - Computing Services) writes:
>Morally, you
>can't do anything but consider the fetus a "person."

You're making the mistaken assumption that YOUR morals are EVERYBODY's morals.
Personally, I agree with you, but on the other hand I don't think it's fair
to press your beliefs on a society. No doubt you've detected that I'm pro-
choice by now. Morals are essentially arbitrary rules shared to a limited
degree by members of a society. They are similar, but not identical. Remember,
there are no definitive or absolute morals.

-Christian Wiedmann

alan@cae780.UUCP (10/08/86)

In article <2621@watdcsu.UUCP> mberkley@watdcsu.UUCP (J.M.Berkley - Computing Services) writes:
>Maybe this is true in a legal sense, but not morally.  I'm
                                              ^^^^^^^
>talking about morality in society, not legality.  Morally, you
                                                   ^^^^^^^
>can't do anything but consider the fetus a "person."

THE FOLLOWING IS NOT AN OPINION ON ABORTION!

A note to (hopefully) prevent future flames on this and other subjects.  What
is moral is what a person or group accepts as being moral.  If it is the custom
of a society to eat their first-born (to use an extreme case), then this is
morally okay to them, and we cannot say they are wrong.  We abhor the practice,
and to everyone in our society (I hope), it is morally wrong.  But if we were
in their society, we would be morally violating the custom if we did not do the
same.

In this pluralistic society (that is what we are, isn't it?), issues such as
abortion and prayer in schools do NOT have one view agreed upon by EVERYONE.
If that were the case, then the above statements would be correct.  Instead,
they should read something like:

  "Morally, I cannot do anything but consider a fetus a 'person'."
           ^^^
It is fine for the poster to feel this way.  No arguments there. But he does
not have agreement from the whole society.

One more quick example:                        Moslems      Friday
It is morally wrong to work on the Sabbath for Jews     on  Saturday.
                                               Christians   Sunday

Each of these religious groups in America celebrate their Sabbath in their own
way, without imposing it on others.
--
                                             Alan Steinberg
                                             textronix!cae780!alan

Helllp, Mr. Wizarrrrd!  I don't want to be a programmer anymore!

carole@rosevax.UUCP (Carole Ashmore) (10/08/86)

In article <2617@watdcsu.UUCP>, mberkley@watdcsu.UUCP (J.M.Berkley - Computing Services) writes:
                            . . .  If she decides to abort her baby,
> then she chooses another set of consequences, far worse than carrying
> the baby to term.  I'm not talking about "Eternal" consequences, but
> consequences right now: guilt and remorse, sterility, etc.,etc.

Lord only knows what your qualifications are for telling the world
what consequences women have from abortions, particularly since you
seem to think that all women are alike and have the same reactions.

My qualifications include personal experience with both an
intentionally aborted pregnancy and a planned child carried to term.
Also, I spent two years as a volunteer for Planned Parenthood.  During
that time I talked to more than one hundred women who were
considering abortions, most of whom later had the abortions and came
back to tell us about the experience.

On the basis of these experiences and on the basis of my extensive
reading in the field I can say that:

	1. Sterility, and indeed, any bad physical consequence, is more
	likely to result from carrying a pregnancy to term than from
	a legal first trimester abortion.  (The situation gets
	statistically more complicated for second trimester abortions
	because many of them are done *because* of physical complications
	of the pregnancy  --because the woman's life or health is in danger.)
             The horror stories we have all heard of the awful physical
	consequences of abortion (infection, sterility, haemorraging, etc.)
	are leftovers from the bad old days when abortions were illegal and
	usually done under poor conditions by badly trained practitioners.
	Today, while it is slightly more dangerous to have an abortion
	than it is to never become pregnant, it is no more dangerous
	than carrying the pregnancy to term.

	2. Some women do suffer guilt, remorse, and other mental
	problems following an abortion; most women do not.
	The women who suffered guilt were nearly always
	women who felt that abortion was wrong, but felt forced into
	it by difficult social or economic circumstances.  Such women
	could be greatly helped by programs designed to help pregnant
	women choose alternatives to abortion.  On the other hand, the
	majority of women who did not feel abortion to be wrong reported
	feelings of liberation, strength, independence, and being in
	control of their lives.  These women would not be dissuaded
	from having abortions no matter how easy or attractive the
	alternative.

						Carole Ashmore

rap@oliveb.UUCP (Robert A. Pease) (10/08/86)

In article <2621@watdcsu.UUCP> mberkley@watdcsu.UUCP (J.M.Berkley - Computing Services) writes:
>In article <649@houem.UUCP> marty1@houem.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) writes:
>>Second, the fetus is not legally a
>>"person," for reasons that have been gone over before in this
>>newsgroup, so the state need not concern itself with protecting it.
>Maybe this is true in a legal sense, but not morally.  I'm
>talking about morality in society, not legality.  Morally, you
>can't do anything but consider the fetus a "person."

This is a position that I cannot agree with.  No one  KNOWS.
All  we can do is report observations, and because of this I
will not require that a fetus be thought of as an individual
person.

>The view of pro-choice is that an unborn baby is not a person,
>the view of pro-life is that the unborn baby is a person.
>(This states the obvious, but you seem to need to hear it.)
>
>Mike Berkley

I may be mis-stateing the position, but as I see it the pro-
choice  position  is  a  question  of when does one person's
rights end where those rights conflict  and  interfere  with
another person's rights.

An example I have used before.  If I injured myself in  such
a way that I would die if you did not give me some organ for
transplant and you were the only person  in  the  world  who
could  give  me this organ, do you have a right to refuse me
that organ if it doesn't adversly affect your helth?

My answer to the question is, yes.
--
					Robert A. Pease
    {hplabs|zehntel|fortune|ios|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!oliven!rap

sunny@hoptoad.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (10/09/86)

>   "Morally, I cannot do anything but consider a fetus a 'person'."
>            ^^^
> It is fine for the poster to feel this way.  No arguments there. But he does
> not have agreement from the whole society.

A fetus is a body which is going to die anyway.

The spirit lives eternally.

There are more spirits waiting to incarnate than there are bodies to hold them.

Normally, the spirit takes the body between birth and 10 days after.

Therefore, abortion is not murder, where I'm defining murder to be depriving
a spirit of a body it already possesses prior to it's being willing to depart
its body.

Likewise, pulling the plug on a medically sustained body whose spirit
has already departed is not murder.

What's the difference, as far as the absent spirit is concerned, between its
potential or obsolete body being allowed to or forced to expire, by failing
to support it, whether that support came from a human womb or a set of
medical machinery?

				Sunny
--
Sunny Kirsten
POB 557

mberkley@watdcsu.UUCP (J.M.Berkley - Computing Services) (10/09/86)

In article (Alan M. Steinberg) writes:
>In article (J.M.Berkley - Computing Services) writes:
>>Maybe this is true in a legal sense, but not morally.  I'm
>                                              ^^^^^^^
>>talking about morality in society, not legality.  Morally, you
>                                                   ^^^^^^^
>>can't do anything but consider the fetus a "person."
>
>What is moral is what a person or group accepts as being moral.
>If it is the custom of a society to eat their first-born (to use
>an extreme case), then this is morally okay to them, and we cannot
>say they are wrong.  We abhor the practice, and to everyone in our
>society (I hope), it is morally wrong.  But if we were
>in their society, we would be morally violating the custom if we did not do the
>same.

I don't recall any societies where murder is condoned for the
sake of convenience.  Sure there are/were societies where babies
were murdered for religious ceremonies or entire villages were
slaughtered for reasons of war but I do not know of any society
where it was acceptable for a child to be killed for reasons of
convenience.

That's what abortion is.  A matter of convenience.

Mike

gadfly@ihlpa.UUCP (Gadfly) (10/09/86)

--
> Morally, you can't do anything but consider the fetus a "person."

False.  Clearly, you must consider it "human", but "person"--what exactly
is a person?  All reasonable definitions ultimately resort to common
sense (a person is something that looks or acts like one), and this
excludes a 3-day old clump of cells.  And indeed, many quite upstanding
ethical codes, at present and through history, do not consider a fetus
to be a person.  It may become a person, just as Prince Andrew may become
king of England.  It thus has a *claim* to rights, as Andrew has a *claim*
to the throne.  Claims, of course, are relative, as Charles and Di might
tell you.

                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****
                 ****** ******  09 Oct 86 [18 Vendemiaire An CXCV]
ken perlow       *****   *****
(312)979-8042     ** ** ** **
ihnp4!ihlpa!gadfly  *** ***     <== NOTE NEW ADDRESS!

devonst@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) (10/10/86)

carole@rosevax.UUCP (Carole Ashmore) writes:

>On the basis of these experiences and on the basis of my extensive
>reading in the field I can say that:
>
>	1. Sterility, and indeed, any bad physical consequence, is more
>	likely to result from carrying a pregnancy to term than from
>	a legal first trimester abortion.
>
>	2. Some women do suffer guilt, remorse, and other mental
>	problems following an abortion; most women do not.
... [followed by more off-the-cuff assertions]

>						Carole Ashmore

Statistics, please, could we have some statistics?  It's easy for
abortionists (and anti-abortionists) to make such unsubstantiated claims.
Where are the facts to back up the assertions?

Do you, in your counseling, use the approach that the fetus is possibly a
living human and worthy of protection?  What comfort is it to these
women to be told the the child within her is simply a lump of flesh only to
find out later that it ain't necessarily so?  That's where the mental
problems come from.  I've talked with members of WEBA who invariably recall
their experience as one clouded by misinformation and half-truths all
designed to get the woman to have an abortion.  Remember, abortion is big
business.

Tom Albrecht

ptl@fluke.UUCP (10/10/86)

Hi,

In article <1976@curly.ucla-cs.ARPA> oleg%OACVAX.BITNET writes:
>... Talk.abortion is a place to discuss abortion issues.

Faith in God requires facing this serious moral question, anywhere.
If what you said was meant to be true, why then did the remainder of
your article deal strictly with abortion and your pro-choice stance.

>... The PRO-CHOICE view is that a woman's
>rights to privacy and her body over-rule any possible rights to life of
>a miniscule blob of cells that feeds of her body and does weird things
>to her chemistry.

With todays scientific abilities, the laws cannot keep up.  There is a
cutoff of x number of weeks, beyond which a baby is considered not
abortable.  Babies have lived that were born before the cutoff date.
Should the laws be continually updated, for every baby born before
a new cutoff date; or will people realize the baby is a little people.

>... The view of "pro-life" is that a life of a fetus
>is more important than needs and wants of a woman who is sentenced to
>nurture it within her body and then for 18-20 years as a dependent.

When a parent becomes too old to care for him/her self - you then
believe they too are an unwanted burden which makes it acceptable
for them to be killed.  Simply because they would depend on you?

>... The view of "pro-life" is that the State, governed by the inane logic
>of applying shoddy interpretations of nebulous allusions of a particular
>religious book of questionable authenticity, has a right to force women
>to endanger their lives against their will.
>... Oleg Kiselev, HASA "A" division founder

The current law does not reflect Christian belief in the sanctity of life.
Every law is made with someone's idea of moral right and wrong.  There
is no avoiding it.

I personally don't think there is a hard and fast never on abortion.
When the mother's life is clearly endangered is probably one I see as
possible - I pray I never face such a decision, and neither do you.

Recently in Washington State, some people were pushing for the right
to have abortion on demand when they didn't like the sex of the baby
they were about to have.  It was thrown out.  But where will it end,
and what effect will it have on the elderly.  Replace the words fetus
and baby with infirmed and elderly in pro-choice articles - maybe
this is where it is leading.  Then go another step and put in the
words long term sickness, quadraplegic, ... - another possible direction
things can go.

The women who have already had abortions suffer, too.  Condemning them
is equal to condemning the baby.  A woman I know recently had an
abortion, and she is now in much mental pain.  She doesn't need my
judgment or yours, she needs our love, God's unconditional love.
Christians must love even pro-choice advocates.  If you can't, then think
of them as your enemies, and God's *command* to love our enemies takes over.

God Bless,

Mike Andrews

alan@cae780.UUCP (10/10/86)

In article <2625@watdcsu.UUCP> mberkley@watdcsu.UUCP (J.M.Berkley - Computing Services) writes:

>In article (Alan M. Steinberg) writes:

(That's me, but the poster left out the first line.  It said:

THIS IS NOT TO DISCUSS ABORTION!!
I guess I did not check the subject, since I read talk.religion.misc, but
not talk.abortion.  I  have corrected the subject line, but still feel this
reply is necessary.

I had said:
>>What is moral is what a person or group accepts as being moral.
>>If it is the custom of a society to eat their first-born (to use
>>an extreme case), then this is morally okay to them, and we cannot
>>say they are wrong.  We abhor the practice, and to everyone in our
>>society (I hope), it is morally wrong.  But if we were
>>in their society, we would be morally violating the custom if we did not do the
>>same.

He then says:
>I don't recall any societies where murder is condoned for the
>sake of convenience.  ...but I do not know of any society
>where it was acceptable for a child to be killed for reasons of
>convenience.
>That's what abortion is.  A matter of convenience.

The poster was not listening.  I was discussing morals, not abortion.  He are
discussing abortion.  The reason why an issue becomes one of morals is
irrelevant.  The point is that there is disagreement among society, so that
there is no one singular moral stand.

To use Jonathan Swift's examples from Gulliver's Travels, if half of society
breaks its eggs on the big end, and the other half on the small end, then
that  society has no single moral stand on the right way to break its eggs.
One half may think the other half is morally wrong, but each has its own
reasons for believing what it does.  Each side is right in its moral opinion.

Now don't start saying that eggs are fetuses, and they shouldn't be broken.
That's an issue for net.abortion.
--

cc@locus.ucla.edu (Oleg "Kill the bastards" Kiselev) (10/12/86)

In article <686@cal-asd.fluke.UUCP> ptl@cal-asd.UUCP (Mike Andrews) writes:
>In article <1976@curly.ucla-cs.ARPA> oleg%OACVAX.BITNET writes:
>>... Talk.abortion is a place to discuss abortion issues.
>If what you said was meant to be true, why then did the remainder of
>your article deal strictly with abortion and your pro-choice stance.

You are right, I should have at least set the followup field properly.
Apologies. This article gets x-posted to talk.abortion and will be
"Followup"ed to talk.abortion only.

>Faith in God requires facing this serious moral question, anywhere.

Well, THAT is a proper thing to discuss in this news group. I do not
accept the existance of your God and therefore do not concern myself
with having to do something because of "faith".

>With todays scientific abilities, the laws cannot keep up.  There is a
>cutoff of x number of weeks, beyond which a baby is considered not
>abortable.  Babies have lived that were born before the cutoff date.
>Should the laws be continually updated, for every baby born before
>a new cutoff date; or will people realize the baby is a little people.

You want to keep the "removed" fetuses alive? Be my guest! You can start
hanging around the Family Planning Centers ("abortion clinics" in
"pro-life" terminology) and offering to the women who visit it to take
over their motherly functions for them. A small financial reward would
surely provide you with more fetuses than your body could support.

Or do you want to see statistics on the number of babies that grow up
NORMAL (i.e. not severely physically and brain damaged), or even SURVIVED
these very premature births.

Or do you need me to tell you that it COSTS LOTS OF MONEY to provide
the care for premature babies, money most people do not have???

Or do you need me to tell you that if YOU want not to have an abortion NOBODY
will force you to have one???

>>... The view of "pro-life" is that a life of a fetus
>>is more important than needs and wants of a woman who is sentenced to
>>nurture it within her body and then for 18-20 years as a dependent.
>
>When a parent becomes too old to care for him/her self - you then
>believe they too are an unwanted burden which makes it acceptable
>for them to be killed.  Simply because they would depend on you?

You are either an idiot or you are VERY naive. There are plenty of examples
of old people being killed by neglect and abuse in retirement houses. Their
children and relatives get rid of them and forget them completely. So much
for old people analogy.

You do not seem to realize that most human beings have emotions, likes, loves
and loyalties of other human beings associated with them, that the lives
of these human beings are very closely interwoven by emotional strings with
lives of other people -- a death of one person in this network of relationships
resonates through the entire network, ringing every node in it, causing grief,
sorrow, remorse. THAT is a true value, a true definition of a human being --
people are NOTHING without love and care of their fellow human beings.

There are very few people who have these emotional ties with a fetus. A wanted
future-child has very strong ones, an unwanted one has negative ones. The
people who are closest and most often the only ones linked to the unborn
child's life are the parents. If THEY do not want the baby -- WHAT RIGHT IS IT
OF YOURS TO TELL THEM WHAT TO DO?! It is not YOUR PLACE TO MAKE DEMANDS!

>>... The view of "pro-life" is that the State, governed by the inane logic
>>of applying shoddy interpretations of nebulous allusions of a particular
>>religious book of questionable authenticity, has a right to force women
>>to endanger their lives against their will.
>The current law does not reflect Christian belief in the sanctity of life.
>Every law is made with someone's idea of moral right and wrong.  There
>is no avoiding it.

Good thing too! You presume to speak for all Xtians. Yet there are plenty
of Xtians who do not extend this alleged sanctity of life upon a fetus!

>Then go another step and put in the
>words long term sickness, quadraplegic, ... - another possible direction
>things can go.

Do not attempt to cloud the issue! A local court case of a quadruplegic
woman, who practically lived on pain killers and just wanted to have the
doctors let her die,  is  still too fresh in my memory. I wish you never
have to face a situation in which either you will be begging someone to
kill you to end your suffering, or someone close to you was writhing in
pain for months or years, while you held their death and a release from
pain in your hands!

>The women who have already had abortions suffer, too.  Condemning them
>is equal to condemning the baby.  A woman I know recently had an
>abortion, and she is now in much mental pain.  She doesn't need my
>judgment or yours, she needs our love, God's unconditional love.
>Christians must love even pro-choice advocates.  If you can't, then think
>of them as your enemies, and God's *command* to love our enemies takes over.

You God's "*command*" means nothing to me. If He is displeased about my
attitude -- let Him tell me so. Not that I accept your God's existance.

As for "condemning" women who had abortions: ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?!
You are REALLY confused, my opponent: PRO-CHOICE means people have choices,
and whatever those choices are THEY ARE CHOICES OF THOSE PEOPLE and are
not a subject of judgement by strangers.

					Oleg Kiselev, HASA "A" division

arment@violet.berkeley.edu (Armentrout Group) (10/12/86)

In article <2625@watdcsu.UUCP> mberkley@watdcsu.UUCP (J.M.Berkley - Computing Services) writes:

>I don't recall any societies where murder is condoned for the
>sake of convenience.  Sure there are/were societies where babies
>were murdered for religious ceremonies or entire villages were
>slaughtered for reasons of war but I do not know of any society
>where it was acceptable for a child to be killed for reasons of
>convenience.
>
>That's what abortion is.  A matter of convenience.
>
>Mike

How about ancient Greece and Rome?  In those societies, it was permissible
for a father to expose a newborn baby outdoors if he felt that the baby
was too weak or sickly to be worth supporting, i.e. if the father thought
that raising the child would be too inconvenient.

ggw@ethos.UUCP (Gregory Woodbury) (10/12/86)

In article <1180@hoptoad.uucp> sunny@hoptoad.UUCP (Sunny Kirsten) writes:
>><referring to:>
>>   "Morally, I cannot do anything but consider a fetus a 'person'."
>> It is fine for the poster to feel this way.  No arguments there. But he does
>> not have agreement from the whole society.
>
>A fetus is a body which is going to die anyway.
>The spirit lives eternally.
>There are more spirits waiting to incarnate than there are bodies to hold them.
>Normally, the spirit takes the body between birth and 10 days after.
>Therefore, abortion is not murder, where I'm defining murder to be depriving
>a spirit of a body it already possesses prior to it's being willing to depart
>its body.
>				Sunny
>--

Specifically, ''the spirit takes the body between birth and 10 days after'',
OH REALLY!  Despite my feelings on the matter (pro-choice), I am NOT willing
to let this pass.  To blindly assert that the spirit comes to the body after
birth (besides, the spirit is -in christian terms- of god: do you possibly
mean the soul?)  is just too much.

It involves assumptions about the deity's actions; the nature of the spirit;
the relationship between the flesh and the spirit/soul; and several other
topics.  The issue of abortion has many facets, but to try to lay this one
aside by saying that the spirit/soul comes after birth doesn't work.

I am not saying that the spirit is present from conception (that is just as
arrogant), but that nobody can be absolutely sure when or where it does arise.

				Greg Woodbury
Gregory G. Woodbury				The usual disclaimers apply
Red Wolfe Software and Services, Durham, NC
{duke|mcnc|rti-sel}!ethos!ggw

awc@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Alex Cannon) (10/12/86)

Someone let Sunny Kirsten out for a walk, and she managed to get to a
keyboard again: :-)

>There are more spirits waiting to incarnate than there are bodies to hold
>them. Normally, the spirit takes the body between birth and 10 days after.

 Sunny, you're a loon.

>Therefore, abortion is not murder, where I'm defining murder to be depriving
>a spirit of a body it already possesses prior to it's being willing to depart
>its body.

 I think Sunny went through some awful trauma as a child, and she needs to
 substitute fantasy for reality so she can avoid thinking too hard.

>Likewise, pulling the plug on a medically sustained body whose spirit
>has already departed is not murder.

 I'm pro-choice and in favor of (self-)euthanasia, and it bothers me to
 see other people support my views with gibberish. Come on Sunny, you *must*
 have a brain; USE IT!

>				Sunny

Alex Cannon
Boston University

george@scirtp.UUCP (George Greene Jr.) (10/14/86)

I'll grant a tip of the hat to a worthy adversary here.

> I don't recall any societies where murder is condoned for the
> sake of convenience.  Sure there are/were societies where babies
> were murdered for religious ceremonies or entire villages were
> slaughtered for reasons of war but I do not know of any society
> where it was acceptable for a child to be killed for reasons of
> convenience.
>
> That's what abortion is.  A matter of convenience.

You have stated the pro-life position well and clearly.
Your side of the argument is blessed with the shorter defenses.
My main points against this particular formulation of it are:

1) Most of the societies were patriarchal, but most of the inconvenience
was borne by the mothers and their misbegotten children.  You can bet
that if fathers had had to share that inconvenience, "child murders"
would've been a lot more common historically.

2) In some cultures, since  children are your property and have to obey
their fathers, it is true that fathers with more kids have more workers,
and can earn more wealth by managing them productively.
This is another reason why patriarchal societies would
tend to cheat deserving women out of their abortions.  This is the main
reason why birth control is so impossible in Kenya and India today.  It
is also the main reason why lessening population growth has zero force
as an argument in favor of abortion.

3) The mere fact that you haven't read about societies where child murder
or abandonment for "convenience" was common  doesn't imply that they
didn't exist.  As Christians should know, Moses was abandoned for precisely
that reason.  I'm sure the history or soc. majors could help you on that
one.