[talk.religion.misc] Are Hindus Christian?

gsmith@brahms (Gene Ward Smith) (10/14/86)

In article <2754@burdvax.UUCP> devonst@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) writes:
>gsmith@brahms.UUCP (Gene Ward Smith) writes:
>>In article <3071@sdcrdcf.UUCP> alan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Alan Algustyniak) writes:

>>>	A person who really believes that Jesus Christ is God is
>>>	a Christian.  One who does not, is not.

>>>One piece of data to throw into the fray is that in 1979, only 47%
>>>of Dutch Catholics thought that Christ is the Son of God.

>>    Based on the above, I might conclude that 53% of Dutch Catholics
>>are not Christians, whereas many Hindus are. This seems too much at
>		     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!?
>>variance with normal usage, if so.

>I don't know any Hindus who could, in good faith, acknowledge as being true
>the statements in the Apostle's Creed.  Hindus might believe that Jesus
>Christ was a good teacher, as many other religions do, but would have
>difficulty declaring that He is the only-begotten Son of God whose death was
>an atoning sacrifice for the sins of His people and is the ONLY way to the
>Father.

    I don't remember the Apostle's Creed nor most of the above theology
as forming a part of Alan Algustyniak's proposed definition. It is rather
common for Hindus to believe that Jesus was an Avatar, and hence divine--
just as Rama and Krishna were divine.

>They might find Jesus' declaration that "no man comes to the Father except
>by me" to be a little arrogant and bigoted.

   They might. They might also interpret in in a way different that you
would, so that Jesus is saying something like "no one achieves realization
that Atman is Brahman without becoming aware of the divinity which I
embody" (I am winging it here).

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
ucbvax!weyl!gsmith                  Institute of Pi Research