[talk.religion.misc] It works for me - what do you do to overcome fear, doubt and worry?

ptl@fluke.UUCP (10/10/86)

Hi,

Just wanted to get some feedback from you folks as to what you do
to fight back the times when fear, doubting, and worry enter your
lives.

When I remember to do it, one thing that works for me is to do an end
run on the `whatever' it is that's bothering me.  What I mean is ---
say xxx is really on my mind and bothering me, *really* worrying me,
causing me to even begin to have fears I know are blown up and irrational.
Instead of fighting off xxx, focusing on xxx, and battling xxx, I just
tell myself "I don't have time to waste worrying about xxx" and leave it
in God's hands and move on, trusting it is in God's ability to work on
whatever it is; and if He wants me to do something about it, He'll open
doors for me, give me insights into the problems, and desires in my heart
that I will know are from Him, leading me to action or even no action at all.

I'm writing this even now to help myself better accept just what I'm
sharing with you, to help me overcome some fears I'm battling right now.
Sharing it helps me believe in it, which actually helps me use this tool.
Funny - a lot like how faith works.

How about you?  What do you do to overcome fear, worry, and doubt in your
life?

All God's Blessings,

Mike Andrews (PTL)

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (10/13/86)

> How about you?  What do you do to overcome fear, worry, and doubt in your
> life?

Fear, worry, and doubt, huh?  If its due to something unknown, I try to learn
about that thing.  If its due to some problem, I solve the problem if its
within my capability (I'm afraid or I worry that my program will crash, so
I thrash it around 'till I can't find any more bugs).  If its something I
can't solve myself, I might join with others to help solve it (I'm afraid
the arms race will lead to the total destruction of the human race, so I
refuse to work for a bomb manufacturer, I vote for candidates that pledge
to work for disarmerment, etc.).  I do what I can to take direct and
indirect action against these problem, whether the problem appears to be
within me or in the global political arena.  And as a result I have very
few fears, doubts, and worries.  I think some of these are healthy, and
promote survival.  I believe leaving these in the hands of a supernatural
entity is akin to ignoring them and is very likely to give one a very false
sense of security.

> All God's Blessings,
>
> Mike Andrews (PTL)

All Hail Discordia!

Dave Haynie	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh
		"Techno-Hippie, heathen, designing evil computers"

	These opinions are my own, though if you try them out, and decide
	that you really like them, a small donation would be appreciated.

kiki@isieng.UUCP (10/14/86)

In article <887@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:

>> How about you?  What do you do to overcome fear, worry, and doubt in your
>> life?
>
>Fear, worry, and doubt, huh?  If its due to something unknown, I try to learn
>about that thing.  If its due to some problem, I solve the problem if its
>within my capability...  If its something I
>can't solve myself, I might join with others to help solve it...
>I believe leaving these in the hands of a supernatural
>entity is akin to ignoring them and is very likely to give one a very false
>sense of security.
>
>Dave Haynie	{caip,ihnp4,allegra,seismo}!cbmvax!daveh

Dave, your comment here reminded me of a dumb joke:  It's a story about a flood
and as the water started to rise up, there was a woman who insisted on staying
in her house as the rescue workers came to evacuate the neighborhood.  First,
they came by in a big four-wheel truck and told her to go with them. She responded "I'll be fine, I have faith in God.  He'll save me."  Later the rescuers came
back in a boat as the water got higher.  They said to come along the water was
getting too high.  The woman again said "I'll be fine I have faith that God will
save me."  Finally the rescuers come back in a helicopter as the woman is sitting on top of her house with just her head out of the water.  Again she refuses and eventually drowns.  When she gets to heaven she complains to God, "Why didn't
you save me?  I had faith in you, I thought you'd help me."  God responds to the
woman "What did you expect? I sent you a truck, a boat and a helicopter!"

God says that he helps those who help themselves.  He encourages us to use
our minds and to rationally analyze life situations.  Believing in God and
seeking His wisdom, doesn't mean that we should be stupid and drown like the
woman in the joke.  You're right, in instances like that people are relying
on a "very false sense of security."  But God does teach us not to worry.  We
should be prepared for life situtations, anticipate, plan, react and so on.
But we are guaranteed that He will help us deal with life.  There are numerous
times in my own life where God has given me better guidance than any person or
any part of my own mind could have provided.  If you are looking for answers,
and like you said sometimes cannot come to a conclusion, why not tap the best
source possible?  If there is a God and he created the world, us, everything
we ever deal with, then He probably knows the answers to the questions.  If
you don't believe that God has a much more superior intelligence than we do,
than this rational won't make a difference.  I believe that God is the Lord
of the universe and he will provide wisdom to those who seek his will.  I
believe this because His Son said so.

Kiki