[talk.religion.misc] one more time...

M. Terribile writes:
>> ... All of Christianity rests on a
>> single point: the Resurrection.  If Jesus did not rise from the dead after
>> a brutal crucifixion, there is no point whatsoever in Christianity....

And Mike Huybensz replies:
>Very seldom will I speak in favor of Christianity, but the above is downright
>stupid.  While the resurrection might be a key point of christian theology,
>it has nothing to do with Christian morality (some of which even I value.)

Well, that simply isn't true.  In the Letter of James it says right out that
the works are the evidence of faith.  The faith is the source for the
morality.  If you throw away the fiath and just keep the morality you have
something entirely different.

It should be noted that the ressurection centrality is an important feature
of the Acts.  The morality problems argued out there wouldn't be compelling
at all were it not for their cause in the bringing together of these
different groups through preaching of the ressurection.  THe notion
persisted, finding explicit recognition in a number of early reformation
hymns.  In _Christe ist Erstanden_ we have the line "If Christ were not
arisen, then death were still our prison."

>Ideas like turning the other cheek, etc. may not be original to Christianity,
>and are far too often overshadowed by obnoxious teachings.  But I consider
>the moral teaching to be the point of Christianity, and preoccupation with
>belief in Jesus and "the life to come" to be dross.  (That's because of my
>scientific materialist viewpoint, which doesn't believe in the latter two.)

That kind of reasoning is a crock.  What your saying is that from your
perspective, you want to throw out of Christianity the part which is
inconvenient to your way of thinking.  Two and a half millenia of Christians
beg to differe with you on that point.

C. Wingate

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (09/09/86)

za56@sdcc3.UUCP (Brian McNeill) says:
>Still no evidence, I see, for the ressurection.  When I first heard
>about the supposed ressurection, I couldn't believe people actually
>believed this stuff.  And then, when I read the Bible, I was shocked
>how LITTLE evidence there was for his ressurection..."Well, after
>3 days, he rose from the grave, said "hi" to his apostles, and
>wandered off to a town from which he was borne off into heaven...
>interesting...You'd think that after being ressurected, he'd wander
>around a bit, so people would have real EVIDENCE that he was God's
>son, but the only people who saw Jesus reborn in the Bible are
>the apostles, a coupla women, and thats about it....a whole lotta
>eyewitnesses isn't that....kinda ridiculous, if you ask me.

You can find a whole lot more eyewitnesses in the Book of Mormon,
an entire kingdom worth of them since Christ spend the intervening 3 days
on the American continent teaching the people who lived over here.

No flames please, you asked for eyewitnesses.  I'm simply providing
some.
--
\"\t\f1A\h'+1m'\f4\(mo\h'+1m'\f1the\h'+1m'\f4\(es\t\f1\c

                                                       Terry Grevstad
                                         Network Research Corporation
                                                   ihnp4!nrcvax!terry
	                 {sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!terry
                                            ucbvax!calma!nrcvax!terry

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel Rives) (09/10/86)

In article <3342@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:
>M. Terribile writes:
>>> ... All of Christianity rests on a
>>> single point: the Resurrection.  If Jesus did not rise from the dead after
>>> a brutal crucifixion, there is no point whatsoever in Christianity....
>
>And Mike Huybensz replies:
>>Very seldom will I speak in favor of Christianity, but the above is downright
>>stupid.  While the resurrection might be a key point of christian theology,
>>it has nothing to do with Christian morality (some of which even I value.)
>
>Well, that simply isn't true.  In the Letter of James it says right out that
>the works are the evidence of faith.  The faith is the source for the
>morality.  If you throw away the fiath and just keep the morality you have
>something entirely different.

I fail to see that Charley has managed to disprove anything of Mike's statement.
The logic here is quite disjointed. As I read it, he has made the following
assertions:

	1. The works are a result of faith.
	2. The morality is a result of faith.
	3. With out faith, the morality is not the same (as what?).

Assuming that "the works" includes "the resurrection", Charley's assertions
say nothing about the connection between "the resurrection" and "the
morality".

--
Joel Rives

USENET: gatech!gitpyr!cc100jr
BITNET: gatech!gitvm1!cc100jr

   "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!"
					<< Buckaroo Banzai >>

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel Rives) (09/10/86)

In article <3342@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:
>M. Terribile writes:
>>> ... All of Christianity rests on a
>>> single point: the Resurrection.  If Jesus did not rise from the dead after
>>> a brutal crucifixion, there is no point whatsoever in Christianity....
>
>And Mike Huybensz replies:
>>Very seldom will I speak in favor of Christianity, but the above is downright
>>stupid.  While the resurrection might be a key point of christian theology,
>>it has nothing to do with Christian morality (some of which even I value.)

           [First paragraph here]

>It should be noted that the ressurection centrality is an important feature
>of the Acts.  The morality problems argued out there wouldn't be compelling
>at all were it not for their cause in the bringing together of these
>different groups through preaching of the ressurection.  THe notion
>persisted, finding explicit recognition in a number of early reformation
>hymns.  In _Christe ist Erstanden_ we have the line "If Christ were not
>arisen, then death were still our prison."

It is rather difficult to determine exactly what you are trying to say here.
Could you, perhaps, state this again?

--
Joel Rives

USENET: gatech!gitpyr!cc100jr
BITNET: gatech!gitvm1!cc100jr

   "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!"
					<< Buckaroo Banzai >>

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel Rives) (09/10/86)

In article <3342@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:
>And Mike Huybensz replies:

		  [Earlier text deleted]

>>Ideas like turning the other cheek, etc. may not be original to Christianity,
>>and are far too often overshadowed by obnoxious teachings.  But I consider
>>the moral teaching to be the point of Christianity, and preoccupation with
>>belief in Jesus and "the life to come" to be dross.  (That's because of my
>>scientific materialist viewpoint, which doesn't believe in the latter two.)
>
>That kind of reasoning is a crock.  What your saying is that from your
>perspective, you want to throw out of Christianity the part which is
>inconvenient to your way of thinking.  Two and a half millenia of Christians
>beg to differe with you on that point.

The form of reasoning that Mike exhibits in his paragraph is far more
substantial than the reasoning that you have presented in your rebuttal.
As I read his statements, Mike has said nothing about throwing anything out
of Christianity. He does suggest that, perhaps, some of the moral concepts
of Christianity are borrowed from other cultures. That is another matter.
Mike goes on to present his "personal" opinion about some of the teachings
of Christianity. He prefaced the entire article with a statement that clearly
denotes him as not being a Christian. However, as he goes on to mention, Mike
is openminded enough to be receptive to ideas that may develop out of
Christianity that have merit in his life.

Now, I must ask you. Exactly what "point" are "two and a half millenia of
Christians" eager to differ with Mike on? Furthermore, who appointed you
as spokesperson for those "two and a half millenia of Christians"?
--

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (09/10/86)

In article <1133@cybvax0.UUCP> mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:
>In article <1500@mtx5a.UUCP> mat@mtx5a.UUCP (m.terribile) writes:
>> ... All of Christianity rests on a
>> single point: the Resurrection.  If Jesus did not rise from the dead after
>> a brutal crucifixion, there is no point whatsoever in Christianity....
>
>Very seldom will I speak in favor of Christianity, but the above is downright
>stupid.  While the resurrection might be a key point of christian theology,
>it has nothing to do with Christian morality (some of which even I value.)
>
>Ideas like turning the other cheek, etc. may not be original to Christianity,
>and are far too often overshadowed by obnoxious teachings.  But I consider
>the moral teaching to be the point of Christianity, and preoccupation with
>belief in Jesus and "the life to come" to be dross.  (That's because of my
>scientific materialist viewpoint, which doesn't believe in the latter two.)
>
>Even fundamentalists should recognize morality as one of the points of
>Christianity.

Sure, 'morality' is *a* point of Christianity. However, *your* opinion of
what is important about Christianity is far less important than *Christ's*
opinion! Take a look at what Christ (Jesus) had to say, and you'll find that
he was much more preoccupied with his death/resurrection/you-can-only-meet-
God-thru-Me/your-relationship-with-God-is-what-counts message than with
anything having to do with what we call 'morality'.

If you choose to reject Christ, or reject his message, that's your decision
to make. But to try to water down the bible until it looks like every other
religion out there is to do a grave injustice. There is only one unique
thing about the Bible/Christianity that makes it any different than other
religions: Jesus. No other religion has a central human figure ('prophet',
whatever you want to call it) who claimed to *be* God. Everything else
about Christianity, including the true value of Jesus' death and resurrection,
stems from that one thing: either Jesus was who he claimed to be, or he
wasn't. If he wasn't, then the Bible is just a pile of mostly-correct teachings
(wrong at least in the case of who Jesus was), and we can all follow any
'moral'/religious code we feel like without looking back. If Jesus was/is God,
then a lot of things automatically follow, and Christianity is something
to be reckoned with. (My intent here is not to discuss all that again, just
to say that Christianity isn't Christianity without Christ!).

Pete
(a random-reader of hot topics)

--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (09/10/86)

In article <3342@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:
> And Mike Huybensz replies:
> >While the resurrection might be a key point of christian theology,
> >it has nothing to do with Christian morality (some of which even I value.)
>
> Well, that simply isn't true.  In the Letter of James it says right out that
> the works are the evidence of faith.  The faith is the source for the
> morality.  If you throw away the fiath and just keep the morality you have
> something entirely different.

First off, the Letter of James is not the resurrection.  But I'll let that
slip, since I can see you're upset.  :-)

Second, what are my works, if I am not a believer?  How can they be evidence
of faith?  This contradicts the Letter of James.

Third, once again you are trying to explain morality with theology: I see
no reason to nail the two together other than Christian vested interests in
the historical status quo.

> >Ideas like turning the other cheek, etc. may not be original to Christianity,
> >and are far too often overshadowed by obnoxious teachings.  But I consider
> >the moral teaching to be the point of Christianity, and preoccupation with
> >belief in Jesus and "the life to come" to be dross.  (That's because of my
> >scientific materialist viewpoint, which doesn't believe in the latter two.)
>
> That kind of reasoning is a crock.  What your saying is that from your
> perspective, you want to throw out of Christianity the part which is
> inconvenient to your way of thinking.  Two and a half millenia of Christians
> beg to differe with you on that point.

Two (and a half?) millenia of Christians have not been able to produce a
convincing justification for their theological ideas.  However, some of their
moral ideas seem good to me.

The notion that you take the whole thing or nothing is the real crock.
The Jews could have used that argument against the early Christians (and
probably did) and so could the Catholics against any other schismatic sects
(from which most protestant demoninations evolved.)

Do you agree with my original point that there is something of value in
Christianity even if you don't believe in the resurrection?  (I wonder if
some Unitarians would agree.)
--

Strephon: "Have you the heart to apply the prosaic rules of evidence to a
	   case brimming with such poetical emotion?"

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

kiki@isieng.UUCP (09/10/86)

In article <3342@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:
>M. Terribile writes:
>>> ... All of Christianity rests on a
>>> single point: the Resurrection.  If Jesus did not rise from the dead after
>>> a brutal crucifixion, there is no point whatsoever in Christianity....
>
>And Mike Huybensz replies:
>>Very seldom will I speak in favor of Christianity, but the above is downright
>>stupid.  While the resurrection might be a key point of christian theology,
>>it has nothing to do with Christian morality (some of which even I value.)
>
>Well, that simply isn't true.  In the Letter of James it says right out that
>the works are the evidence of faith...

Paul in Corinthians writes "If Christ be not risen, then our preaching is in
vain and your faith is in vain."  Why does the Christian faith rely so heavily
on the resurrection?  There are three main reasons why this is true.  (Romans
1:1-17 is a section of scripture that substantiates my thoughts.)

First, the story of Jesus was predicted before Jesus was on earth.  The prophets
talked about his birth, life, death, and resurrection as signs to prove that
Jesus was the son of God.  If Jesus didn't fulfill these prophesies, it would
be clear that Jesus was not God.

Second, Jesus combined in himself the nature of God and man.  He came through
the genealogy of David, but his resurrection demonstrated that he was God.
Thus he closes the gap between man and God.

Third (and to me most crucial), when Jesus was resurrected He sent the comforter--the Holy Spirit--which definitely plays a great impact on Christian morality
and faith.  That, by the ways, is also what makes Christianity unique from any
other faith.

The Holy Spirit is the Lord's way of bringing man into a unique relationship
with Himself, that through their very lives and personalities He imparts His
own nature and life to others and touches and changes them.

"I have come to give life and to give it abundantly"

Kiki

jho@ihlpa.UUCP (Yosi Hoshen) (09/11/86)

>                                                There is only one unique
> thing about the Bible/Christianity that makes it any different than other
> religions: Jesus. No other religion has a central human figure ('prophet',
> whatever you want to call it) who claimed to *be* God. Everything else
> about Christianity, including the true value of Jesus' death and resurrection,
> stems from that one thing: either Jesus was who he claimed to be, or he
> wasn't...

I don't find this claim unusual.  The Roman Emperor Caligula
made similar claims.  He also claimed be a god.  I  think that
neither you nor I can prove that he was not a god.

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Ma-Ma-Ma-Max Ma-Ma-Max Headroom) (09/12/86)

>                                                There is only one unique
> thing about the Bible/Christianity that makes it any different than other
> religions: Jesus. No other religion has a central human figure ('prophet',
> whatever you want to call it) who claimed to *be* God. Everything else
> about Christianity, including the true value of Jesus' death and resurrection,
> stems from that one thing: either Jesus was who he claimed to be, or he
> wasn't...

Aw, c'mon!  Every Pharaoh of Egypt was a human/god, and proclaimed it
quite loudly!  And they had as much *substantiated* evidence to back
it up as anyone else.

"What are we going to do?"
"Me, I'm examining the major Western religions.  I'm looking
 for something that's soft on morality, generous with holidays,
 and has a short initiation period."
		Scott J. Berry		ihnp4!hou2g!scott

see1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Ellen Seebacher) (09/12/86)

In article <3342@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:

>...  Two and a half millennia of Christians beg to differ with you...

Two and a half?  What year IS this?  :-)

Rip van Winkle

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Whatever I'm calling myself this week) (09/12/86)

>>                                                There is only one unique
>> thing about the Bible/Christianity that makes it any different than other
>> religions: Jesus. No other religion has a central human figure ('prophet',
>> whatever you want to call it) who claimed to *be* God. Everything else
>> about Christianity, including the true value of Jesus' death and resurrection,
>> stems from that one thing: either Jesus was who he claimed to be, or he
>> wasn't...

> Aw, c'mon!  Every Pharaoh of Egypt was a human/god, and proclaimed it
> quite loudly!  And they had as much *substantiated* evidence to back
> it up as anyone else.

This reminds me (lately EVERYTHING reminds me of something else) of the joke
about the atheist who winds up in heaven because she led a good life, and
apparently THAT was all that any deity of the benevolent variety would care
about in "rewarding" and "punishing" people.  So she witnessed people of all
religions enjoying the pleasures of heaven.  (Even humanists & Ubizmatists...)
But this person found a wall, beyond which he heard a lot of noise.  When she
approached the wall to look over it and see what was going on, she was told
that she must not do this, because "on the other side are the Christians, and
they think they're the only ones up here; it wouldn't be heaven for them were
it otherwise".

The moral being that a lot of Christians declare themselves and their religion
to be unique, often using this as "proof" of its veracity.  Surely it IS
unique in the sense that it names a unique set of deities/entities/aspects,
uses a unique set of books, etc.  (Actually, of course, there's a lot of
overlap there with other religions, so the uniqueness idea actually goes
bye-bye there too.)  But to claim that "Christianity is the one and only
religion that... [INSERT PET 'UNIQUENESS' HERE]" winds up being 1) wrong,
2) erroneously used as "proof" of the correctness of the beliefs.  It's
really quite amusing to see people do this sometimes.
--
"If you see this boy", said the ballerina, "do not---I repeat, do not---attempt
 to reason with him." 			Rich Rosen    bellcore!pyuxd!rlr

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (09/12/86)

In article <222@octopus.UUCP> pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:
> Sure, 'morality' is *a* point of Christianity. However, *your* opinion of
> what is important about Christianity is far less important than *Christ's*
> opinion! Take a look at what Christ (Jesus) had to say, and you'll find that
> he was much more preoccupied with his death/resurrection/you-can-only-meet-
> God-thru-Me/your-relationship-with-God-is-what-counts message than with
> anything having to do with what we call 'morality'.

We don't know Christ's opinion.  Because he's dead, and all we have are
self-serving, revisionist reports written long after his death by lunatics
like Paul.  As Tim Maroney pointed out, much more is written about JC's
moral teachings than about theological BS like godhood and resurrection.

> If you choose to reject Christ, or reject his message, that's your decision
> to make. But to try to water down the bible until it looks like every other
> religion out there is to do a grave injustice.

It does look like every other religion out there.

> There is only one unique
> thing about the Bible/Christianity that makes it any different than other
> religions: Jesus.

See?  You admit it yourself.

> If he wasn't [god], then the Bible is just a pile of mostly-correct teachings
> (wrong at least in the case of who Jesus was), and we can all follow any
> 'moral'/religious code we feel like without looking back.

Exactly my point.  I happen to like a bunch of Christian moral teachings
(and dislike some others.)
--

Writing with conviction is no substitute for writing with a rational argument.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (09/13/86)

In article <222@octopus.UUCP> pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:
>                                               There is only one unique
>thing about the Bible/Christianity that makes it any different than other
>religions: Jesus. No other religion has a central human figure ('prophet',
>whatever you want to call it) who claimed to *be* God.
> (etc.)
>        If he wasn't, then the Bible is just a pile of mostly-correct teachings
>(wrong at least in the case of who Jesus was), and we can all follow any
>'moral'/religious code we feel like without looking back. If Jesus was/is God,
>then a lot of things automatically follow, and Christianity is something
>to be reckoned with.

Firstly, the claim is not all that unique.  Although Joseph Smith (founder
of the L.D.S. (Mormon) church) didn't claim to be God at the time, it was
clear that he was scheduled to become one after his martyrdom.  The accepted
theory was that he and the rest of the faithful would end up as gods of
their own worlds, accompanied by their wives.  Although I can't lay a hand
on them, I imagine that there are a number of people in institutions who
claim to be God.

Secondly, even if that were a unique point it wouldn't be important.  The
fact that somebody claims something doesn't make it so, as Ubizmatists have
been trying to demonstrate to the unbelievers all along.  The whole point
of the Ubizmatist movement is that any unsubstantiated claim has equal
weight.  So the point is not what Jesus *claimed* to be, but rather what
he *proved* to be.  I'm not arguing the latter point, but rather pointing
out that the former is a non-issue and can't be a meaningful distinction
among religions.  Now if you want to argue that Christianity is distinguished
by being the only *true* religion, I'd say that's an important distinction.

	Jim Gillogly
	HASA, U[Spam] division
	{decvax, sdcrdcf}!randvax!jim
	jim@rand-unix.arpa
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, sdcrdcf}!randvax!jim

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (09/15/86)

In article <1146@cybvax0.UUCP> mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:
>In article <222@octopus.UUCP> pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:
>> Sure, 'morality' is *a* point of Christianity. However, *your* opinion of
>> what is important about Christianity is far less important than *Christ's*
>> opinion! Take a look at what Christ (Jesus) had to say, and you'll find that
>> he was much more preoccupied with his death/resurrection/you-can-only-meet-
>> God-thru-Me/your-relationship-with-God-is-what-counts message than with
>> anything having to do with what we call 'morality'.
>
>We don't know Christ's opinion.  Because he's dead, and all we have are
                        ^^^^^^^ we know what He *said*. Does that not count?
> [flame] reports written long after his death by [flame].
>As Tim Maroney pointed out, much more is written about JC's
>moral teachings than about theological BS like godhood and resurrection.

Is it quantity of analytical BS you want? Rather strange. I'm happily willing
to ignore what others wrote/write about Jesus... look at what HE *said* and
did.

>> If you choose to reject Christ, or reject his message, that's your decision
>> to make. But to try to water down the bible until it looks like every other
>> religion out there is to do a grave injustice.
>
>It does look like every other religion out there.

Really? Why do you then admit...

>> There is only one unique
>> thing about the Bible/Christianity that makes it any different than other
>> religions: Jesus.

>See?  You admit it yourself.
As do you. I'm glad we agree that Jesus is unique, which makes Christianity
unique! (:-) I know I'm jumping to conclusions... I'm sure I haven't convinced
you of much...)

>> If he wasn't [god], then the Bible is just a pile of mostly-correct teachings
>> (wrong at least in the case of who Jesus was), and we can all follow any
>> 'moral'/religious code we feel like without looking back.

>Exactly my point.  I happen to like a bunch of Christian moral teachings
>(and dislike some others.)

But you've missed my point. What you like may be *moral* teachings, but they
aren't at all unique to Christianity, as has been pointed out by others.

The things in the Bible that look like everyday moral teachings are just that
until they are accompanied by the means to achieve them through a relationship
with Jesus. All religions based on a moral law (including the law of the
old testament) fall apart eventually, because we are incapable of following
a moral law perfectly. Jesus uniquely acts as the bridge/ambassador/certificate
or whatever-you-want-to-call-it that allows us to have a relationship with God
without being required to achieve moral perfection first.

I think a lot of Christians are *very* confused on this point, which obviously
confuses everybody else out there. To listen to Falwell, etc, you need to be
morally perfect before (or immediately after) you become a Christian. That's
*wrong*.

The purpose of moral teachings ('the Law' as its put in the bible) is not to
give us a bunch of rules that we should try to live by. The purpose of the Law
is to show us that it is *impossible* for us to achieve moral perfection
under our own strength/willpower/etc -- we can't get to heaven on our own
power.

Enough for now.

Pete

--

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (09/16/86)

>                                                There is only one unique
> thing about the Bible/Christianity that makes it any different than other
> religions: Jesus. No other religion has a central human figure ('prophet',
> whatever you want to call it) who claimed to *be* God.

This remark is just silly.  What do you think an *avatar* is?
And much of Hindu thought is based on the concept of an avatar.

When you make statements like this, you make intelligent people
see your religion as being composed of either uneducated people
(if you really haven't studied what you're talking about,) fools
(if you have been told but it just hasn't penetrated,) or liars
(if you know but just don't care.)  It doesn't do your cause any
good to be seen as any of the three.

Perhaps you should educate yourself in comparative religion
before you try to make any brilliant statements on the subject.
--

                                     Sue Brezden
                                     (HASA member)

         When you got nothin', you got nothin' to lose.
         You're invisible now, you got no secrets to conceal.
                                  -Bob Dylan

daveb@pogo.UUCP (Dave Butler) (09/18/86)

In article <222@octopus.UUCP> Pete Holzman writes:

>There is only one unique
>thing about the Bible/Christianity that makes it any different than other
>religions: Jesus. No other religion has a central human figure ('prophet',
>whatever you want to call it) who claimed to *be* God.

Sorry to burst your bubble Pete, but Vishnu came to earth several times. One
of his most important manefestations was Krishna (also called Lord of Lust),
who, on the day of his birth, went out to do battle with a major demon and
vanquished her. This battle was fought in huge ampitheater valley and
a hundred thousand worriors witnessed the fight (Much more impressive numbers
than the couple of hundred witnesses to Jesus' resurection). Every one of the
soldiers saw the fight as clearly as if they were ten feet away (It's a
miracle!!).

Not only that, but Krishna could not be mistaken for merely human if he
weren't in disguissed. He was tall, beatiful, "black as a lotus", had 4 arms,
and could speak from the moment of his birth. The Bible may have been
"inspired" by God, but Krishna gave us the _Bagavad_Gita_ in person. If you
don't buy this and think its a bunch of cowflop, then stop and think for a
moment, and maybe you'll understand why hindus (and many other people) think
the same about christianity.

				Enjoyed this Immensely,

				Dave Butler

    Remember: Silly is a state of Mind, Stupid is a way of Life.

sher@rochester.UUCP (09/18/86)

In article <223@octopus.UUCP] pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:
]a moral law perfectly. Jesus uniquely acts as the bridge/ambassador/certificate
]or whatever-you-want-to-call-it that allows us to have a relationship with God
]without being required to achieve moral perfection first.
]
]Pete
]
]--
]  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
] OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014
]  OOOOO \___/        UUCP: {hplabs!hpdsd,pyramid}!octopus!pete
]___| \_____          Phone: 408/996-7746

Hmmm thats funny.  Somehow I've managed to have a personal relationship
with God (He speaks, I listen or fail to but ...) without dealing with
intermediaries.  (Guess I must be morally perfect then :-) Of course
there is nothing wrong with going through an intermediary.  But I doubt
it is necessary.  Of course being christian is a handicap in that
regard.

--
-David Sher
sher@rochester

magore@watdcsu.UUCP (M.A.Gore - ICR) (09/19/86)

In article <232@dione.rice.EDU> scorpion@titan.UUCP (Vernon Lee) writes:
>In article <3571@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU> za56@sdcc3.UUCP (Brian McNeill) writes:
>>>What kind of Sunday School was *that* ??  All of Christianity rests on a
>>>single point: the Resurrection.  If Jesus did not rise from the dead after
>>>a brutal crucifixion, there is no point whatsoever in Christianity.
>
>Why does the resurrection imply god is worth worshipping?  Someday science

	The power of Cristianity is *IF* you are *WILLING* and are
*earnest/diligent*-(as in good honest try) you will find God: Luke11:10,
Jeremiah 29:19... etc. God will convince you Psalm 16:7, John 14:16-17,
John 15:26 ... etc. I mean if God convinced you wouldn't you worship him ?????
If God led you to read the Bible to know Him more wouldn't you? He said
he didn't make understanding easy: 1 Corinthians 1:18-25 .... etc. So
keep an open mind while you look.

[munch munch]

>scorpion (Vernon Lee)
>HASA, 5th column

# Mike Gore
# Institute for Computer Research.
# These ideas/concepts do not imply views held by the University of Waterloo.

pete@octopus.UUCP (09/19/86)

In article <2741@pogo.UUCP> daveb@pogo.UUCP (Dave Butler) writes:
>In article <222@octopus.UUCP> Pete Holzman writes:
>>There is only one unique
>>thing about the Bible/Christianity that makes it any different than other
>>religions: Jesus. No other religion has a central human figure ('prophet',
>>whatever you want to call it) who claimed to *be* God.
>
>Sorry to burst your bubble Pete, but Vishnu came to earth several times. One
>of his most important manefestations was Krishna (also called Lord of Lust),
>[interesting story of a miraculous battle...]
>
>Not only that, but Krishna could not be mistaken for merely human if he
>weren't in disguissed. He was tall, beatiful, "black as a lotus", had 4 arms,
>and could speak from the moment of his birth. The Bible may have been
>"inspired" by God, but Krishna gave us the _Bagavad_Gita_ in person. If you
>don't buy this and think its a bunch of cowflop, then stop and think for a
>moment, and maybe you'll understand why hindus (and many other people) think
>the same about christianity.

Dave, I'll admit up front that I'm personally no expert on comparative
religions. However, I think your example is rather poor: From the description
you gave, Krishna was in no way fully human. In fact, he even needed a disguise
to *look* human. I didn't say it very well, I guess: Jesus claimed to be fully
God *and* fully human simultaneously, and provided evidence to that effect.

There's lots of interesting followup questions of course. I probably won't
get involved (I don't have lots of time-- this is fun, but my family needs
to get more of my time! Oh well...)

--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014
  OOOOO \___/        UUCP: {hplabs!hpdsd,pyramid}!octopus!pete
___| \_____          Phone: 408/996-7746

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (09/19/86)

[I've sent followup to talk.religion.misc; I hope that's ok and appropriate!]

In article <1309@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
>> (I wrote...) There is only one unique
>> thing about the Bible/Christianity that makes it any different than other
>> religions: Jesus. No other religion has a central human figure ('prophet',
>> whatever you want to call it) who claimed to *be* God.
>
>This remark is just silly.  What do you think an *avatar* is?
>And much of Hindu thought is based on the concept of an avatar.

[see below for important statement regarding my qualifications in this
 discussion]
However, I find it hard to include the Hindu idea of 'God' here, since as far
as I can tell, being 'God' is nothing unique: Self (atman) is the same as
Ultimate Reality (Brahman), and Brahman is the supreme Lord (Isvara). In other
words, we *all* are God, according to Hinduism (if we can only achieve the
true knowledge).

I'll admit: I didn't make my statement very carefully. In any case, Jesus'
*claims* as to who he is aren't really important in and of themselves, except
that he thought it was important that we decide whether his claims were true,
and then act on that decision.

>When you make statements like this, you make intelligent people
>see your religion as being composed of either uneducated people
>(if you really haven't studied what you're talking about,)
that's me...
>fools (if you have been told but it just hasn't penetrated,) or liars
>(if you know but just don't care.)  It doesn't do your cause any
>good to be seen as any of the three.
>
>Perhaps you should educate yourself in comparative religion
>before you try to make any brilliant statements on the subject.

Sorry. I am *not* well educated in comparative religion. I have read some
pretty good books talking about Christianity vs. <whatever> in very general
terms, but haven't gone into it in great detail. Due to my lack of detailed
background knowledge, I didn't qualify my statement very carefully... I
guess it goes to show that general statements about complicated subjects
may contain some truth, but they also allow for lots of misinterpretation!
I'll try to stick to more well-defined in assertions in the future!
(And just so I can continue in this discussion, I went and read 50 pages
on Hinduism in a pretty good comparative religions book...I hope that
doesn't suddenly make me a fool or a liar! :-))

Maybe we can now move on to more central issues. Like, is there really any
hope of truly becoming one with God via any religion other than Christianity?
(including Science). Or... if we are to assume there is no God, then is there
any hope that humanity will improve itself? Is there evidence that we are
'improving' our lot as a species in the long run? Is there anything new under
the sun (new == real change for the better as people, not new==new and better
gadgets available to the rich of the world).

--

kiki@isieng.UUCP (09/19/86)

In article <2741@pogo.UUCP> daveb@pogo.UUCP (Dave Butler) writes:
>In article <222@octopus.UUCP> Pete Holzman writes:
>
>>There is only one unique
>>thing about the Bible/Christianity that makes it any different than other
>>religions: Jesus. No other religion has a central human figure ('prophet',
>>whatever you want to call it) who claimed to *be* God.
>
>Sorry to burst your bubble Pete, but Vishnu came to earth several times. One
>of his most important manefestations was Krishna (also called Lord of Lust),
>who, on the day of his birth, went out to do battle with a major demon and
>vanquished her...  He was tall, beautiful, "black as a lotus", had 4 arms,
>and could speak from the moment of his birth. The Bible may have been
>"inspired" by God, but Krishna gave us the _Bagavad_Gita_ in person. If you
>don't buy this and think its a bunch of cowflop, then stop and think for a
>moment, and maybe you'll understand why hindus (and many other people) think
>the same about christianity.

Thank God that we have been given minds so that we can rationally evaluate what
truth and fact is.  Just because a large number of people believe something or
have "tons of faith" doesn't make something true.  If you're flying an airplane
and you put a cactus in the pilot's see and believe with all your heart that
the cactus will fly the plane, it ain't gonna fly the plane.  If you don't put
a pilot up there, the cactus won't make a difference no matter how strongly
you may believe in it.  If there's a God, it doesn't matter how many people
believe it or have faith in something as God; if it's not God, it ain't gonna
fly!

Jesus was probably the most remembered character in human history.  More books
have been written, more songs sung, more paintings painted, more great drama
written than any other figure in the past.  Have you ever wondered why?  Why
doesn't he fade into the past like others?

Several books in the Bible were written by men who were eye witnesses to Jesus'
life.  They wrote not about some mystic, bizarre creature; they wrote about a
man who once lived on earth and lived and breathed just like we do.  These men
knew Jesus intimately; they slept and ate with Him and followed Him.  When Jesus
was on earth he expressed the thoughts of God in human words.

John wrote in chapter 20, verses 30-31: Now Jesus did many other signs in the
presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are
written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ and the Son of God and
that believeing you may have life in his name.

Nothing mystic and bizarre about that.  John talks about Jesus giving "light"
which is knowledge, understanding, truth.  The Bible teaches man to use his
mind, to pursue knowledge.  We can pursue all kinds of knowledge--art, science,
health, literature, politics, etc.--but if we don't know the knowledge that
is written in the Bible, we can never understand what is really happening.

So what is it that you "buy", Dave?  A creature with four arms?  Vishnu?  The
greek gods? Buddha?   We are constantly put in situations where we need to
make rational choices.  If we didn't make intelligent choices, think of where
we'd be now.  Or think of where we'd be if *everyone* made intelligent choices!

>				Enjoyed this Immensely,
>				Dave Butler

                     Me Too!
                     Kiki Herbst

>    Remember: Silly is a state of Mind, Stupid is a way of Life.

     "If any man is willing to do His will, he shall know of the teaching,
      whether it is of God, or whether I speak from Myself"--Jesus Christ
      (John 7:17)

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel Rives) (09/19/86)

In article <223@octopus.UUCP> pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:
>In article <1146@cybvax0.UUCP> mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:
>>
>>We don't know Christ's opinion.  Because he's dead, and all we have are
>                        ^^^^^^^ we know what He *said*. Does that not count?

You seem to have totally missed the point here Pete. What Mike stated (excuse
me for paraphrasing you Mike) was that we don't know Jesus's opinion
because we don't know what he said. The only evidence that Jesus even said
anything worth noting is in the New Testament and that is hearsay at best.
Because the bible says that Jesus said one thing or another does not prove
anything of the sort.

This sort of falacy seems to crop up over and over. Let me present to you
an example of your own approach using another religion. According to the
Baghavad Gita, the God Krishna came to earth in the form of a man (sound
familiar?). This God/Man came to be the chariot driver for Prince Arjuna
at a time when Arjuna was at civil war with another who challenged Arjuna's
right to the throne. Much of the body of the Gita is in the form of
conversation between Arjuna and the God become man. Now, I may claim this
writing to be the gospel and every word of it the absolute truth - much as
CHristians do with their book. Are you going to believe me when I tell you
everything in this book is fact? Why not? It says it right there in the
Bhagavad Gita - the word of God.

>>> to make. But to try to water down the bible until it looks like every other
>>> religion out there is to do a grave injustice.
>>
>>It does look like every other religion out there.
>
>Really? Why do you then admit...
>
>>> There is only one unique
>>> thing about the Bible/Christianity that makes it any different than other
>>> religions: Jesus.
>
>>See?  You admit it yourself.
>
>As do you. I'm glad we agree that Jesus is unique, which makes Christianity
>unique! (:-) I know I'm jumping to conclusions... I'm sure I haven't convinced
>you of much...)

Every religion has a founder. So what? That certainly makes each religion
unique. This form of uniqueness is hardly notable.

--
                                               Joel Rives
                                               gatech!gitpyr!cc100jr

{ * }-------{ * }-------{ * }-------{ * }-------{ * }-------{ ^ }-------{ * }

              There is no place to seek the mind;
                It is like the footprints of the birds in the sky.

{ * }-------{ * }-------{ * }-------{ * }--------{ * }-------{ * }-------{ * }

daveh@tekcrl.UUCP (Dave Hatcher) (10/01/86)

Subject: Re: one more time... (who claims to be God and Human?)

>Maybe we can now move on to more central issues. Like, is there really any
>hope of truly becoming one with God via any religion other than Christianity?

>OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises

     The idea of becoming one with God is a very interesting question,
   and is the central point of all the contemporary religions. If you study
   them from the bottom line perspective of what their salvation is,
   you will find it is the same for all religions.  Including Christianity.
     To me it seems that the bottom line has two parts. The first part is a
   complete giving of one's self to God. And the second is that the way for
   an abandonment to God is through the medium of *LOVE*.
     Now if you want to argue which path is correct and which one isn't,
   somehow always ends up in an argument about *FORM*. And arguments
   about *FORM* somehow has ways of dividing people from each other..and
   from..God. You just can not argue *FORM* and keep *LOVE* in your heart.

	Dave Hatcher

stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) (10/02/86)

In article <1018@rti-sel.UUCP>, wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) writes:
> who denies the resurrection as a Christian. Whether that Christian
> truly believes s/he is a Christian or not is beside the point, because

I think the same mastermind must be in charge of brainwashing all
American students.  Did it ever occur to anyone that something might
be true (or false) even if no one believes it to be true (or false)?
If your right arm gets amputated, does believing real sincerely that
it didn't happen change the facts?  Christianity makes certain statements
about the universe (and beyond).  These statements are either true or
false.  If it is true that anyone outside of Christ will go to Hell, they
are going there whether they believe it or not.  It is simple kindness
for Christians to try and warn their neighbors before it happens.

	Wake up! HASA and SASA especially! You guys are supposed to be
finding out what's really true!  I am sick and tired of relative truth.
Let's show why Christianity is false, or why it is true.  But let's not
have this "whatever works for you" drivel.

Remember, somebody might be right!
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!{vrdxhq|dgis}!BMS-AT!stuart>

devonst@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) (10/02/86)

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) writes:
>In article <1500@mtx5a.UUCP> mat@mtx5a.UUCP (m.terribile) writes:
>
>>What kind of Sunday School was *that* ??  All of Christianity rests on a
>>single point: the Resurrection.  If Jesus did not rise from the dead after
>>a brutal crucifixion, there is no point whatsoever in Christianity.  ...
>
>No. What you mean to say is: I, Mark Terribile, reject any Christian
>who denies the resurrection as a Christian. Whether that Christian
>truly believes s/he is a Christian or not is beside the point, because
>I happen to have a direct line to the truth. And people who do not
>accept my definition of Christianity are deluding themselves.

For nearly two millenia the Christian faith has understood that there are
certain basic dogmas which define what it means to be a Christian.  Belief
in the bodily resurrection of Christ is one of these.  For you
to assert that one can be a Christian and deny the concept of the
resurrection is very bold and, I'm afraid to say, quite wrong.  The
resurrection is not some obscure and secondary teaching within
Christianity; it is the very foundation of the Christian faith.

>This kind of judgementalism and denial of the truth and wisdom in
>other approaches to living a good life are exactly the things that
>drive a large number of Americans out of the organized churches.

A Christian doesn't deny that other religions can offer some measure of
good to society.  You can live a "good life" in the human sense as part
of another religion.  But if you deny that Christ is the Son of God, that
His death was an attoning sacrifice for sin, that he rose from the dead as
evidence of His ultimate power over death, don't call yourself a Christian.
You're no more a Christian than a Hindu who denies these things.

>They've certainly turned me off to the idea of affiliating with
>any existing Christian denomination, in spite of the fact that I'm
>very concerned with the importance of fellowship, community action,
>and the search for religious meaning in my life.

That's an interesting statement because many "mainline" denominations would
affirm the things you are saying.  There are ministers in the PCUSA church,
for instance, that deny the divinity of Christ and the bodily resurrection.

>Consequently, I
>am considering the Unitarian Universalist Church in my search for
>truth: an organization that accepts ANYONE who is interested in
>talking about religious issues, in fellowship, and in people being
>supportive of each other. To me, that's what religion should really be
>all about, not this literalist argument over dogma and the contents of
>a document that has been twisted and altered for nonreligious reasons
>over a span of 20 centuries.

That's what you think religion is all about.  That sounds a little to
wishy-washy for me.  I want to be a part of a group that knows where it is
going and is willing to help others find the way.  Christianity is a
religion that has a foundation outside the mere imaginations of men.  As it
has been said of the Jews, so it is true also of Christians, we are a
people of the Book.

Unitarian Universalists are most certainly not Christians, but I guess
that's what you are looking for.  You appears as if you have made up your
mind about who Jesus Chrsit is and you don't want any part of it.  That's
OK, just don't tell Christians what Christianity is.

>After a few months of reading net.religion.christian, I have to say I
>have little interest in what's said in that group any more. So I've
>unsubscribed to that group and resubscribed to net.religion, a group
>that maybe will be a little more congenial to my hard-won beliefs.
>
>Geez, does this mean I'm an honorary member of HASA? :-)
>
>                       -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

I'll send this to net.religion so you'll see it.

--
Tom Albrecht
"Reformata, semper reformanda"

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (10/06/86)

In article <232@BMS-AT.UUCP> stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:

>In article <1018@rti-sel.UUCP>, wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) writes:
>> who denies the resurrection as a Christian. Whether that Christian
>> truly believes s/he is a Christian or not is beside the point, because
>
>I think the same mastermind must be in charge of brainwashing all
>American students.

I'm not a student: I'm a 40-year-old man who has been thinking about
these issues most of my life.

>Did it ever occur to anyone that something might
>be true (or false) even if no one believes it to be true (or false)?
>If your right arm gets amputated, does believing real sincerely that
>it didn't happen change the facts?  Christianity makes certain statements
>about the universe (and beyond).  These statements are either true or
>false.  If it is true that anyone outside of Christ will go to Hell, they
>are going there whether they believe it or not.  It is simple kindness
>for Christians to try and warn their neighbors before it happens.

My comment was about Christian fundamentalists who deny the
Christianity of all those who in some sense accept the truth of what
Christ said but don't buy into the whole mystical enchilada of the
Resurrection, Christ's divinity, and the literal interpretation of the
Bible. What you people don't seem to realize is that this describes A
LOT of people who describe themselves as Christian. And many of these
people resent your absolute definition of what Christianity is all
about. What arrogance.

I reject your concept of a vengeful God who would commit innocents to
eternal torment, I reject literal interpretations of the Bible, I
reject the notion that humanity is fundamentally flawed. Yes, I've
read the Bible; it contains wisdom, but so do the texts of the other
great religions of the world. I have no use for a 'God' who would damn
me for living a good and moral life outside the confines of the
Christian personality cult.

>	Wake up! HASA and SASA especially! You guys are supposed to be
>finding out what's really true!  I am sick and tired of relative truth.
>Let's show why Christianity is false, or why it is true.  But let's not
>have this "whatever works for you" drivel.
>
>Remember, somebody might be right!

Whatever works for you, Stuart. I mean it.

                        -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

In article <2722@burdvax.UUCP> devonst@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) writes:

>For nearly two millenia the Christian faith has understood that there are
>certain basic dogmas which define what it means to be a Christian.  Belief
>in the bodily resurrection of Christ is one of these.  For you
>to assert that one can be a Christian and deny the concept of the
>resurrection is very bold and, I'm afraid to say, quite wrong.  ...

Then why do you later say:

>>They've certainly turned me off to the idea of affiliating with
>>any existing Christian denomination, in spite of the fact that I'm
>>very concerned with the importance of fellowship, community action,
>>and the search for religious meaning in my life.
>
>That's an interesting statement because many "mainline" denominations would
>affirm the things you are saying.  There are ministers in the PCUSA church,
>for instance, that deny the divinity of Christ and the bodily resurrection.

There are two possibilities: either you're saying you CAN be a
Christian and deny the resurrection, or that many 'mainline'
denominations are not truly Christian. The former seems contradictory,
the latter seems arrogant to me. What I said was NOT bold: many
members of Christian churches would agree with me. Check, for example,
the statements of belief in the book "Religion In America" by Leo
Rosten (I think I've got the name and title right).

>Unitarian Universalists are most certainly not Christians, but I guess
>that's what you are looking for.  You appears as if you have made up your
>mind about who Jesus Chrsit is and you don't want any part of it.  That's
>OK, just don't tell Christians what Christianity is.

I spent eight years in Catholic grade school, four years in Catholic
high school, and a year at a Catholic college with religion and
theology courses mandatory every semester. I was raised in a
denomination that claims to be Christian (whether you want to admit
that Catholics are Christians or not is a different matter). My
understanding of what Christ and Christianity are about is based on
knowledge, not ignorance. I do not reject the good things Christ said
and did: I reject the mystery aspects of the Christian religion just
as I reject the mystery aspects of other religions. The Bible is a
set of writings that have been misinterpreted and mistranslated over
the past 4000 years, and I see no reason to assume all of its authors
over that period were directly inspired by a divine principle. There
are many other motives for writing a religious tract: I can think of
politics, for one thing. And why shouldn't I tell Christians or anyone
else what I think Christianity is? I thought talk.religion.misc was a
place for the free exchange of ideas on religion.

                                -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

thain@magic.UUCP (10/06/86)

     Stuart Gathman is under the mistaken impression that clouding the
discussion with non-sequter reasoning takes the place of good old thinking.
Perhaps he is right. After all he provides the perfect example of a person
screaming so loudly about what they "know" is right that they can't even
hear themselves think.

In article <232@BMS-AT.UUCP>, stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:
> In article <1018@rti-sel.UUCP>, wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) writes:

> I think the same mastermind must be in charge of brainwashing all
> American students.

     O.K., I confess. By the use of designer drugs and heathan sacrifical
practices we have enslaved all the American students into believing that soon
Oleg will lead them on a religious jihad so that they may turn forever away
the Big Daddy/Junior/Spook concept and erect statues to their favorite talking
animal out of whatever they're little minds concoct. This is the true purpose
of HASA. We are winning!

> Did it ever occur to anyone that something might
> be true (or false) even if no one believes it to be true (or false)?
> If your right arm gets amputated, does believing real sincerely that
> it didn't happen change the facts?  Christianity makes certain statements
> about the universe (and beyond).  These statements are either true or
> false.  If it is true that anyone outside of Christ will go to Hell, they
> are going there whether they believe it or not.  It is simple kindness
> for Christians to try and warn their neighbors before it happens.

     O.K., you've warned me. I have been amply warned in my lifetime. I still
feel that it's a crock of horsehocky, but I acknowlage that I've been warned.
NOW Stuart, now that you've done your duty as your God commanded, you can
leave me alone. There are other ways to come to terms with the universe,
despite how you might feel about it.

     I feel as a public service to you however, that I should warn you about
believing the purveyors of Organized Religion. They have always at the upper
levels of adminstration mixed politics within they're religious doctrines
so beware of they're "truths". Also, beware of those who would interpet your
Biblical passages for you, as they have been known to use the word of God
to justify unjust actions. Beware those who use the Bible to support
moralizations wich God spake not about. Open your ears, look with your eyes,
search your feelings. expand your religious horizons despite what others may
tell you.

     There. Now I've warned you.

> 	Wake up! HASA and SASA especially! You guys are supposed to be
> finding out what's really true!  I am sick and tired of relative truth.
> Let's show why Christianity is false, or why it is true.  But let's not
> have this "whatever works for you" drivel.

     Numerous times arguments have been presented in this forum for why
Christianity bites the big one. All the supporters have done is howled about
how they're being picked on, screaming that one must be liberal with Biblical
interpertations but stingy to accord the same liberalness to evidence posted
by non-Christians. This "whatever works for you drivel" seems to be a damn
sight better than, " well, *we're* right and your wrong because we have said
so and we have God on our side!" attitude which has developed.

     Tell me Stuart, what is so "right' about Christianity? Why should I become
one?

> Remember, somebody might be right!

     Yes, a scary thought, don't you agree? Of course, the possiblity exists
that perhaps we're both right, or even both wrong!

                              Happy Trails,

                                 Glenn

Proud member, HASA
"S" Division Commander
thain@src.DEC.COM

( JOIN NOW! All HASA members recieve the following!)*

 1) 15% off all Whale oil Balms
 2) Aura Colors altered while you wait!
 3) Seven Sacred Monkees from the Secret Ancient Crypts handtowel sets
 4) The Best of HASA - only $9.99!

 And.....if you order now.....you will recieve an autographed picture of
Mel Torme singing, " The Devil Went Down to Georgia!"

* Offer void. Refund satisfied if not gaurenteed.

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (10/07/86)

From: devonst@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht):
>For nearly two millenia the Christian faith has understood that there are
>certain basic dogmas which define what it means to be a Christian.  Belief
>in the bodily resurrection of Christ is one of these.  For you
>to assert that one can be a Christian and deny the concept of the
>resurrection is very bold and, I'm afraid to say, quite wrong.  The
>resurrection is not some obscure and secondary teaching within
>Christianity; it is the very foundation of the Christian faith.
>[...]
>A Christian doesn't deny that other religions can offer some measure of
>good to society.  You can live a "good life" in the human sense as part
>of another religion.  But if you deny that Christ is the Son of God, that
>His death was an attoning sacrifice for sin, that he rose from the dead as
>evidence of His ultimate power over death, don't call yourself a Christian.
>You're no more a Christian than a Hindu who denies these things.

	And you, sir, are presumptuous. Not even the Pope has
been able to dictate "The" definition of Christianity for the
last 400 years. Your definition is a common one; it is accepted
by many, perhaps most, Christians. But not all, by any means.
There is no official body in all the world with the authority to
define what a Christian is. Didn't you hear about the
Reformation? :-)

>>They've certainly turned me off to the idea of affiliating with
>>any existing Christian denomination, in spite of the fact that I'm
>>very concerned with the importance of fellowship, community action,
>>and the search for religious meaning in my life. [Bill Ingogly]
>
>That's an interesting statement because many "mainline" denominations would
>affirm the things you are saying.  There are ministers in the PCUSA church,
>for instance, that deny the divinity of Christ and the bodily resurrection.

	Glad to see you admit it. In light of this, by what right
do you assert authority to tell us what THE definition of
Christian is?

>Unitarian Universalists are most certainly not Christians, but I guess
>that's what you are looking for.  You appears as if you have made up your
>mind about who Jesus Chrsit is and you don't want any part of it.  That's
>OK, just don't tell Christians what Christianity is.

	I love it. A little more of this kind of insult, and
you'll have liberal Christians lining up to join HASA in droves :-).

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	ELECTRIC AVENUE:	 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,hao,hplabs}!ames!barry

gnome@oliveb.UUCP (Gary) (10/08/86)

>      Stuart Gathman is under the mistaken impression that clouding the
> discussion with non-sequter reasoning takes the place of good old thinking.
> Perhaps he is right. After all he provides the perfect example of a person
> screaming so loudly about what they "know" is right that they can't even
> hear themselves think.

...Are these attributes right??...
> In article <232@BMS-AT.UUCP>, stuart@BMS-AT.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:
>> In article <1018@rti-sel.UUCP>, wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) writes:
>> If it is true that anyone outside of Christ will go to Hell, they
>> are going there whether they believe it or not.  It is simple kindness
>> for Christians to try and warn their neighbors before it happens.

Yeh, right, and then do your damndest to make sure it happens...

>> 	Wake up! HASA and SASA especially! You guys are supposed to be
>> finding out what's really true!  I am sick and tired of relative truth.
>> Let's show why Christianity is false, or why it is true.  But let's not
>> have this "whatever works for you" drivel.

Gee, your religion "works for you"!  Therefore it, also, is drivel.

> This "whatever works for you drivel" seems to be a damn
> sight better than, " well, *we're* right and your wrong because we have said
> so and we have God on our side!" attitude which has developed.
>
> Tell me Stuart, what is so "right' about Christianity? Why should I become
> one?
>
>> Remember, somebody might be right!
>
>      Yes, a scary thought, don't you agree? Of course, the possiblity exists
> that perhaps we're both right, or even both wrong!
>
>                               Happy Trails,
>                                  Glenn
> Proud member, HASA
> "S" Division Commander
>  And.....if you order now.....you will recieve an autographed picture of
> Mel Torme singing, " The Devil Went Down to Georgia!"

The Devil went down to Georgia... and started his own religious network.
It had satellites and 800 numbers.  It had music and faith healing.
Why, he even thought he'd run for president.

But there were too many people who saw him as a fool, no matter which
bible he thumped.  So he gave up the political path, and all the heavy
journalistic scrutiny that goes with it, and went back into the mire
of other fools with satellites and tax-deductible phone-in lines.

And all the time, his followers kept wondering why they felt as though the
universe was laughing behind their backs...

Gary
HASA
H-Division (Heathen Helpful and Happy)

"Someday, I'd like to write-down all of mankind's misunderstandings
 about the world around them,  put it all in a hardcover book, and
 leave copies of it in every hotel room -- Oh!  Somebody beat me to it!"

devonst@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) (10/08/86)

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) writes:

>There are two possibilities: either you're saying you CAN be a
>Christian and deny the resurrection, or that many 'mainline'
>denominations are not truly Christian. The former seems contradictory,
>the latter seems arrogant to me. What I said was NOT bold: many
>members of Christian churches would agree with me. Check, for example,
>the statements of belief in the book "Religion In America" by Leo
>Rosten (I think I've got the name and title right).

What I would assert is that one cannot be a Christian and still deny the
historical fact of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.  This is just not an
option.  The resurrection is CENTRAL to the Christian faith.  Those
churches that deny the resurrection, the divinity of Christ and a whole
host of other core doctrines have no business claiming the label of
"Christian".

As far as I know, the teaching standards of the PCUSA still hold to the
orthodox positions of the Christian faith.  However, there is still
sufficient "latitude" within that group so that individuals who deny the
core truths of Christianity can be ordained ministers.  I simply suggested
that you might feel comfortable in one of these liberal churches.

>>Unitarian Universalists are most certainly not Christians, but I guess
>>that's what you are looking for.  You appears as if you have made up your
>>mind about who Jesus Chrsit is and you don't want any part of it.  That's
>>OK, just don't tell Christians what Christianity is.
>
>I spent eight years in Catholic grade school, four years in Catholic
>high school, and a year at a Catholic college with religion and
>theology courses mandatory every semester. I was raised in a
>denomination that claims to be Christian (whether you want to admit
>that Catholics are Christians or not is a different matter). My
>understanding of what Christ and Christianity are about is based on
>knowledge, not ignorance. I do not reject the good things Christ said
>and did: I reject the mystery aspects of the Christian religion just
>as I reject the mystery aspects of other religions. The Bible is a
>set of writings that have been misinterpreted and mistranslated over
>the past 4000 years, and I see no reason to assume all of its authors
>over that period were directly inspired by a divine principle. There
>are many other motives for writing a religious tract: I can think of
>politics, for one thing. And why shouldn't I tell Christians or anyone
>else what I think Christianity is? I thought talk.religion.misc was a
>place for the free exchange of ideas on religion.
>
>                                -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

I would suggest that your understanding of Christianity is flawed.  If you
read the NT, the writings of the church fathers and conservative,
contemporary authors such as Charles Hodge or Francis Shaeffer you will
get a more accurate perspective on Christianity.  If you reject
Christianity because you reject supernaturalism, then say so.

I appreciate your perspectives on Christianity.  My only suggestion was that
you not define Christianity according to what YOU THINK it should be, only what
its adherents declare it to be.

--

strickln@ihlpa.UUCP (Stephen D. Stricklen) (10/08/86)

#
# #Consequently, I
# #am considering the Unitarian Universalist Church in my search for
# #truth: an organization that accepts ANYONE who is interested in
# #talking about religious issues, in fellowship, and in people being
# #supportive of each other. To me, that's what religion should really be
# #all about, not this literalist argument over dogma and the contents of
# #a document that has been twisted and altered for nonreligious reasons
# #over a span of 20 centuries.
# #
#
# That's what you think religion is all about.  That sounds a little to
# wishy-washy for me.  I want to be a part of a group that knows where it is
# going and is willing to help others find the way.  Christianity is a
# religion that has a foundation outside the mere imaginations of men.  As it
# has been said of the Jews, so it is true also of Christians, we are a
# people of the Book.

I find the above comments quite bigoted.  Religious and belief systems are
extremely personal things.  My church (a Unitarian Universalist congregation)
believes that one's religious beliefs are so important in life that no one
and no institution may be allowed to dictate them.  We know exactly where
we are going and we have many ways (not just one!) to help individuals find
their path through life and their own personal truth.

#
# Unitarian Universalists are most certainly not Christians, but I guess
# that's what you are looking for.  You appears as if you have made up your
# mind about who Jesus Chrsit is and you don't want any part of it.  That's
# OK, just don't tell Christians what Christianity is.
#

I am sure there are at least as many definitions of "Christian" and
"Christianity" as there are religious denominations.  Some Unitarian
Universalists consider themselves Christian, just as some consider themselves
Deists or atheists.  Most of us, however, want no part of getting caught up
in labels such as these.  As for Jesus, we spend much of our church year
studying his teachings.  We believe him to be one of the greatest prophets
to have ever lived.  However, we believe him to be one of many, many
persons whose religious writings and teachings can offer us guidance and
fresh viewpoints of the world and universe about us.

Steve Stricklen
AT&T Bell Laboratories
ihnp4!ihlpa!strickln

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (10/10/86)

In article <1030@rti-sel.UUCP> wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) writes:

>I spent eight years in Catholic grade school, four years in Catholic
>high school, and a year at a Catholic college with religion and
>theology courses mandatory every semester.

Ha!

That's the best one I've heard in a long time, .. this guy is
claiming they have "Catholics" in North Carolina??  Give me a break!
:-) :-) :-) :-)

Seriously,  I'd like to see the complete works of the "beliefs,
cosmologies, and life plans of the "Hasaites" and "Sashaites".
I'm really not interested in how "smart, intellectual, and honest"
they are, just what the brain-set is.

How bout it guys/women,  we all know about what these "Xians"
(actually a secret Chinese paramilitary group) believe, but what
are YOUR individual global concepts.  Come on "'fess up"!
+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+
| Paul M. Koloc, President: (301) 445-1075                | FUSION |
| Prometheus II, Ltd.; College Park, MD 20740-0222        |  this  |
| {umcp-cs | seismo}!prometheus!pmk; pmk@prometheus.UUCP  | decade |
+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+

alan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Alan Algustyniak) (10/10/86)

Tom Albrecht and Willaim Ingogly are debating the question: What is the
	defn of a Christian.

It seems logical to me, based on both the entomology of the word, and on
the most basic of Christian beliefs that, in a nutshell:

	A person who really believes that Jesus Christ is God is
	a Christian.  One who does not, is not.

One piece of data to throw into the fray is that in 1979, only 47%
of Dutch Catholics thought that Christ is the Son of God.

 Add to this that
Catholics are more dogmatic than other Christians on the whole
(especially in Europe) and that the percentage above was decreasing,
and you now can see stmts like 'There are X number of Christians in
the world' in a new light.

	Al Algustyniak

(1) Not Quite a Heresy Trial, TIME, 24 Dec, 1979, p.83

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (10/11/86)

In article <3071@sdcrdcf.UUCP> alan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Alan Algustyniak) writes:

>Tom Albrecht and Willaim Ingogly are debating the question: What is the
>	defn of a Christian.

>It seems logical to me, based on both the entomology of the word, and on
>the most basic of Christian beliefs that, in a nutshell:

>	A person who really believes that Jesus Christ is God is
>	a Christian.  One who does not, is not.

>One piece of data to throw into the fray is that in 1979, only 47%
>of Dutch Catholics thought that Christ is the Son of God.

    Based on the above, I might conclude that 53% of Dutch Catholics
are not Christians, whereas many Hindus are. This seems too much at
variance with normal usage, if so.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
        Fifty flippant frogs / Walked by on flippered feet
    And with their slime they made the time / Unnaturally fleet.

devonst@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) (10/13/86)

gsmith@brahms.UUCP (Gene Ward Smith) writes:
>In article <3071@sdcrdcf.UUCP> alan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Alan Algustyniak) writes:
>
>>It seems logical to me, based on both the entomology of the word, and on
>>the most basic of Christian beliefs that, in a nutshell:
>
>>	A person who really believes that Jesus Christ is God is
>>	a Christian.  One who does not, is not.
>
>>One piece of data to throw into the fray is that in 1979, only 47%
>>of Dutch Catholics thought that Christ is the Son of God.
>
>    Based on the above, I might conclude that 53% of Dutch Catholics
>are not Christians, whereas many Hindus are. This seems too much at
		     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!?
>variance with normal usage, if so.
>
>ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

I don't know any Hindus who could, in good faith, acknowledge as being true
the statements in the Apostle's Creed.  Hindus might believe that Jesus
Christ was a good teacher, as many other religions do, but would have
difficulty declaring that He is the only-begotten Son of God whose death was
an atoning sacrifice for the sins of His people and is the ONLY way to the
Father.

They might find Jesus' declaration that "no man comes to the Father except
by me" to be a little arrogant and bigoted.

--
Tom Albrecht

devonst@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) (10/13/86)

strickln@ihlpa.UUCP (Stephen D. Stricklen) writes:
[I said]
>#
># That's what you think religion is all about.  That sounds a little to
># wishy-washy for me.  I want to be a part of a group that knows where it is
># going and is willing to help others find the way.  Christianity is a
># religion that has a foundation outside the mere imaginations of men.  As it
># has been said of the Jews, so it is true also of Christians, we are a
># people of the Book.
>
>I find the above comments quite bigoted.  Religious and belief systems are
>extremely personal things.  My church (a Unitarian Universalist congregation)
>believes that one's religious beliefs are so important in life that no one
>and no institution may be allowed to dictate them.  We know exactly where
>we are going and we have many ways (not just one!) to help individuals find
>their path through life and their own personal truth.
>
>#
># Unitarian Universalists are most certainly not Christians,
>
>I am sure there are at least as many definitions of "Christian" and
>"Christianity" as there are religious denominations.  Some Unitarian
>Universalists consider themselves Christian, just as some consider themselves
>Deists or atheists.  Most of us, however, want no part of getting caught up
>in labels such as these.  As for Jesus, we spend much of our church year
>studying his teachings.  We believe him to be one of the greatest prophets
>to have ever lived.  However, we believe him to be one of many, many
>persons whose religious writings and teachings can offer us guidance and
>fresh viewpoints of the world and universe about us.
>
>Steve Stricklen

First of all, I apologize and ask forgiveness of all those Unitarian
Universalists who believe that Jesus Christ is the second person of the
Trinity and who also believe that He died as a sacrifice for our sins and
rose bodily from the grave as evidence of His power over death and hell.  I
didn't mean to argue that all UUs were not Christians.  My point should
have been that the doctrinal formulations of the UU denomination, as I
understand them, deny the Christian doctrine of the Trinity and all
that goes with it.

Secondly, I will continue to assert that the only correct definition of who
is a Christian and what constitutes a Christian denomination is the
Bible.  Any group which claims to be Christian, but which refuses to use the
Bible as sole authority over matters of faith and practice cannot be
considered in the mainstream of Christianity.  Jesus Christ, the Word of
God, gave us His written word as a guidebook for the life of the church.
Jesus prayed for the peace and purity of His church, but peace can only
come about when members are willing to subject their every thought and
action to the light of His Word.

You may think this position bigoted.  That is your privilege.
Centuries of Christians have died for this belief.  I stand with those
faithful martyrs who believed that the truth of the Bible was worth dying
for.  The main problem with the Christian church today is that it is too
willing to compromise on the truth.  When denomination after denomination
throw out the Bible as the objective standard we see the effects: a church
that no longer knows what it believes.  It's OK to believe (or deny) anything
and be a Christian.  Well I don't buy it.  I think that there is an objective
standard for faith and practice, I believe that it has been faithfully
maintained for the church and I believe in the Spirit who guides the church
in all truth.

--

gary@ethos.UUCP (Gary J. Smith) (10/14/86)

In article <3071@sdcrdcf.UUCP> alan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Alan Algustyniak) writes:

>It seems logical to me, based on both the entomology of the word, and on
>the most basic of Christian beliefs that, in a nutshell:
>
>	A person who really believes that Jesus Christ is God is
>	a Christian.  One who does not, is not.

I think most Christians would disagree with (as is evident in the
statistics you offered), just as the tradition of the Church
tends to disagree with you.  The debates and decisions of the
early Councils were trying to get at this very question, and they
did not find it as simple and straightforward as you--they wound
up formulating a subtle and complicated statement where they
affirm that believing "Jesus Christ is God" is not enough.  You
must also believe he is man.

Gary J. Smith                           {ihnp4,mcnc,duke}!ethos!gary
5802 Garrett Rd, Durham, NC 27707 voice: 919-493-9575 data: 489-6496
--

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (10/14/86)

In article <2735@burdvax.UUCP> devonst@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) writes:

>What I would assert is that one cannot be a Christian and still deny the
>historical fact of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.  This is just not an
>option.  The resurrection is CENTRAL to the Christian faith.  Those
>churches that deny the resurrection, the divinity of Christ and a whole
>host of other core doctrines have no business claiming the label of
>"Christian".

Well, this still seems to me to be YOUR opinion; whether everyone who
says s/he's a Christian would agree with you remains to be seen. I
have no idea whether what you're saying is a minority or majority
opinion in the set of all churches that claim to be Christian, or in
some subset of those churches. IF someone can show to me that a clear
majority of people who call themselves Christians believe this, I'll
accept it as a majority opinion and agree that people who don't tow
the line probably shouldn't be calling themselves Christian.

>...  I simply suggested
>that you might feel comfortable in one of these liberal churches.

I agree.

>I would suggest that your understanding of Christianity is flawed.  If you
>read the NT, the writings of the church fathers and conservative,
>contemporary authors such as Charles Hodge or Francis Shaeffer you will
>get a more accurate perspective on Christianity.  If you reject
>Christianity because you reject supernaturalism, then say so.

Again, the claim that such a perspective would be more accurate is
your claim. I would agree that my perspective might be more complete
if I read some of these authors (I have read the NT, by the way),
but I still believe that there's far from a consensus on these things
among those who call themselves Christian. And if you say you're
Christian and someone else isn't while that person is claiming s/he's
Christian and you're not, who should I believe?

I don't reject Christianity or supernaturalism out of hand: I simply
don't know what the Ultimate Truth is, or whether an Ultimate Truth
exists, or even if it makes any sense to ask such a question. That's
what agnosticism is about (at least my brand of it). I consider myself
in many ways a religious person and certainly a moral person, but I
see my life more in terms of defining my own theology as I go along.
And this is a lifelong process: I don't think ANY book or prophet is
going to give me all the answers to my living a moral and satisfying
life.

Christ died for me, but so did everyone else in history who paid a
great price for peace and the well-being of his fellow human beings.
That's my perspective on Christianity; that's my perspective on ALL
religions. I respect anyone for his beliefs if they help him to be a
better person. That includes HASA members as well as Christians. :-)

                            -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

marty@ism780c.UUCP (Marty Smith) (10/14/86)

In article <2755@burdvax.UUCP> devonst@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) writes:
[...]
>Secondly, I will continue to assert that the only correct definition of who
>is a Christian and what constitutes a Christian denomination is the
>Bible.  Any group which claims to be Christian, but which refuses to use the
>Bible as sole authority over matters of faith and practice cannot be
>considered in the mainstream of Christianity.

If there is a sole authority over matters of faith, ie the Bible, then there
is no faith.  I believe faith cancels out doubt, and without doubt there
is no faith.  As soon as one accepts the Bible without doubt as the sole
authority over matters of faith, one's faith evaporates.  Faith about
something which is certain is vacuous.  The same must be true of the other
side.  If one totally rejects the Bible and thereby rejects faith, then one
loses all doubt and becomes just as intolerant as his opposite.

>Jesus Christ, the Word of
>God, gave us His written word as a guidebook for the life of the church.

This statement reminds me of a type of picture I always saw at Sunday
school.  In the picture, which is always being held on the lap of my
elderly Sunday school teacher (who always wore a black, gray, or dark
blue dress), Jesus is standing in a cloud of angel hair, hands outstretched,
backed by beams of benevolent golden light from heaven, and a teenage boy
WASP and a younger girl WASP with perfect skin, teeth, and hair, are kneeling
in prayer at his feet, looking up to him with smiles of contentment.

My Sunday school teacher would hold up the picture and smile and say,
"This is what God has for us."  I always felt guilty at that moment, because
no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't cast out of my thoughts the desire to
go home and play baseball instead.

>Jesus prayed for the peace and purity of His church, but peace can only
>come about when members are willing to subject their every thought and
>action to the light of His Word.

I'm going home to play baseball instead.

				Marty Smith