[talk.religion.misc] Foothead, Foothead, on the net/Who's the biggest liar yet?

gsmith@brahms.UUCP (04/18/87)

   Oh dear! There I was, snidely implying that Foothead might not understand
the net and UNIX(*) that well, and in particular might not understand the
implications of the phony arndt@prometheus appearing from daemon@ucbvax.
Wrong, wrong, wrongo--and my sincere apologies. Obviously Foothead knew about
all this.  He must have. Because Foothead IS the phony Ken Arndt. This would
explain why he was so annoyed at my original pointing out of this, above
and beyond the standard Foothead irritabilities.

  Now, I posted an article yesterday "speculating" that this was true, as a
counter to Foothead's duplicitous "speculations". As stated, this was based
on mere stylistic analyses. But in fact, we had done some more checking,
and already knew that Foothead was indulging in a "pseudoposition" of his
own. To use George Greene's more accurate and assertive formulation, Foothead
is a damn liar.  Either that, or he is indeed the biggest master baiter on
talk.religion.misc.

  First: where are the arndt@prometheus articles really coming from? Would
you believe, Rich Rosen? No, not exactly. Specifically they come from the
account rlr@borax.lcs.mit.edu.

  We have the following from the ucbvax news log:

Apr 16 06:49:20 ucbvax sendmail[7351]: AA07351: message-id=<666@prometheus.UUCP>
Apr 16 06:49:20 ucbvax sendmail[7351]: AA07351: from=<rlr@BORAX.LCS.MIT.EDU>, size=5888, class=0
Apr 16 06:49:38 ucbvax sendmail[7371]: AA07351: to=XXXX, delay=00:00:53, stat=Sent

And for confirmation, over at borax:

Apr 16 10:45:53 borax.lcs.mit.edu: 27885 sendmail: AA27885: message-id=<666@prometheus.UUCP>
Apr 16 10:45:54 borax.lcs.mit.edu: 27885 sendmail: AA27885: from=rlr, size=5772, class=0
Apr 16 10:46:47 borax.lcs.mit.edu: 27887 sendmail: AA27885: to=XXXX, delay=00:00:57, stat=Sent

(The XXXX is put there at Erik Fair's request. It is the standard method
that the bitnetters and certain non-usenet arpanetters use for posting.)

  In other words, the phony <666@prometheus.UUCP> "Ken Arndt" article
actually came from a "Rich Rosen" account at MIT. Did Rich do it? Well, Rich
is in New Jersey, whereas Foothead is at MIT, which even a Californian like
me knows is in a different state. So far, this is just Foothead-style kneejerk
"reasoning".  (Either that, or just Foothead-style pseudopositioning.)

  But what does Rich have to say about it?

  I sent him a letter asking about the rlr@borax account. According to him,
this got set up during the Brahms-Rosen "we are all Rich Rosen" wars. He
now has a password on it, and uses it to forward mail from Massachusetts.
We might wonder, does Foothead know about it? Well, lo and behold, we find
the following from the mail log at borax (and eddie concurred):

Apr 15 18:46:44 borax.lcs.mit.edu: 20516 sendmail: AA20516: message-id=<8704152247.AA14732@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Apr 15 18:46:45 borax.lcs.mit.edu: 20516 sendmail: AA20516: from=<fh@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>, size=1925, class=0
Apr 15 18:46:56 borax.lcs.mit.edu: 20519 sendmail: AA20516: to=<rlr@BORAX.LCS.MIT.EDU>, delay=00:00:32, stat=Sent

This was the night before the <666@prometheus.UUCP> posting!

  In other words, we get mail traffic from Foothead to rlr@borax, and then
mail traffic from rlr@borax to ucbvax here in Berkeley. Does Rich Rosen
know that Foothead is sending mail to rlr@borax? rlr@pyuxe, the original
genuine Rich Rosen, says not. He wonders how it is that Foothead is sending
mail to rlr@borax but it isn't reaching him--after all, he "knows" it's
used to forward mail to him. I will take a chance, and leap to the con-
clusion that perhaps Foothead knows how to edit .forward files. I also
notice that Foothead's mail to rlr@borax is 1925 bytes long.  The article
that <666@prometheus.UUCP> was responding to was <9322@decwrl.DEC.COM>,
which was 1663 bytes long on our system.  That does leave room for mail
headers. And what a coincidence, were Foothead the perpetrator, he would
read and save the original on eddie, and somehow get it over to borax.
(A suggestion for next time: use something other than e-mail. Magnetic
tape perhaps? :-)

  What about the Paul Koloc connection? According to Koloc, his prometheus
was broken into and a phony arndt@prometheus account was set up. This happened
just before April 1, and an April Fools' "joke" seems likely. Paul then had
to remove the account and send out cancel messages on the bogus articles.
He says a number of attempted entries were then rebuffed, the log showing
the following:

BAD LOGIN ATTEMPT arndt	tty02	Tue Mar 31 12:45:56 1987
BAD LOGIN ATTEMPT ogin:	tty02	Wed Apr  1 13:34:36 1987
BAD LOGIN ATTEMPT arndt	tty02	Fri Apr  3 11:52:47 1987
BAD LOGIN ATTEMPT arndt	tty02	Fri Apr  3 11:53:01 1987
BAD LOGIN ATTEMPT hey,_pau	tty02	Fri Apr  3 11:53:59 1987
BAD LOGIN ATTEMPT arndt	tty02	Fri Apr  3 11:54:18 1987
BAD LOGIN ATTEMPT arndt	tty02	Mon Apr  6 16:44:44 1987
BAD LOGIN ATTEMPT arndt	tty02	Mon Apr  6 16:44:56 1987
BAD LOGIN ATTEMPT arndt	tty02	Tue Apr  7 11:25:03 1987
BAD LOGIN ATTEMPT arndt	tty02	Tue Apr  7 11:25:13 1987

  Curioser and curioser! Bogus arndt@prometheus articles, and a bogus
arndt@prometheus login. And simultaneously, valspeak gets run on
pmk@prometheus articles. Since Foothead is strongly implicated in the
first--his insistent attempts to point the finger before anyone even
suggested he was involved are truly laughable--we wonder. And we do
recall, another, just amazing coincidence, Foothead indeed has been on
an anti-Koloc and anti-Arndt rampage from the very beginning of his known
net.existence.

  Far be it from us to ask Foothead to explain anything, or exhibit
minimal honesty. For someone who goes around exclaiming how certain
other posters are notorious liars, seeing him go into detail here
would be like getting sex and marriage tips from Tammy Bakker. The
rest of you can draw your own conclusions; those on the ARPANET can
even go telneting around for themselves if they wish to check the above.

  We have a question for the system administrators: now what?

  Do note that genuine prometheus.UUCP articles are effectively cancelled
by the pre-existence of the phonies at prometheus's feeds. Prometheus
itself did not see them, since the netnews transfer algorithm checks paths
first to avoid "obvious" redundancies.

  Let us guess at the answer: nothing. Just sit while the net degenerates
as more and more Feethead join in on the fun. Sounds reasonable.

  But in conclusion, we would like to thank Foothead for exposing the
kneejerk inability of many netters to distinguishing the real Ken Arndt's
stated beliefs from an obvious forgery.  Oh no, they just had to flame
automatically. WE could tell they were phony from the beginning.  And we
think a lot (as in many) of his beliefs are screwy too. Pat Robertson for
President?  Like, fer shur, gag us with a pitchfork!

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
ucbvax!brahms!gsmith	Gene Ward Smith /Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
Some billion years ago, an anonymous speck of protoplasm protruded the
first primitive pseudopodium into the primeval slime, and perhaps the
first state of uncertainty occurred.		   --I J Good

(*) UNIX is a registered Trademark of AT&T.

gsmith@brahms.UUCP (04/22/87)

In article <3198@mirror.TMC.COM>, rs@mirror (Rich Salz) writes:
>Nice work in tracking down what's going on, fellows; I appreciate
>it, as do many others on the net, I'm sure.

Many thanks Rich, but much is still unclear.  Certain things would be
nice to clarify.  Certain other things will probably never be genuinely
known.  The eddie sysadmins are no longer interested.  It will probably
never be known whether Lee Harvey Foothead was acting alone...

rlr@pyuxe (the original and genuine Rich Rosen) wishes to declare his
innocence in the whole affair.  We know from the logs that fh@eddie was
sending e-mail to both rlr@borax and rlr@pyuxe separately.  In particu-
lar, we conjecture that fh@eddie knew that the .forward file at rlr@borax
was changed.  The real Rich Rosen tells us further that he has changed
his rlr@borax password since this all broke out in the open.

(This is why we are cross-posting back to *.religion and even posting
again--Rich Rosen has gotten e-mail congratulating him for his clever
Arndt sendups, and wants us to be more explicit.)

We also know, according to the logs, that no one *but* fh@eddie sent
e-mail to rlr@borax the week before the phony article <666@prometheus>
was posted.  We should have mentioned this the first time around, but it
did not occur to us that this negative item had separate significance.

Along these lines, we received mail from a long-time reader of *.religion
to the effect that six weeks ago or so he saw fh@eddie remotely logged
on to rlr@borax.

Matthew and I are also a bit taken aback at the abrupt sinking of the
fh@eddie account.  We were having our little fun, casting our net of
little clue by little clue, baiting the Fishhead.  We're confident he
will flounder in from some other port and muddy the waters well.

(OK, so we've overfished our metaphors.  So sue us.)

We do not claim the evidence we found was conclusive of anything, nor
do we believe that "proof", short of a notarized confession, even exists
in any true sense as a philosophical point, so your insistence on such,
Mikki, was completely unrealistic.  Hell, it's not generally known who
"Foothead" really is in the first place.  For all we can tell, some super
clever hacker who hates fh@eddie to the core was setting him up for the
big fall, confident that the brahms gang would track down the news, mail
and login logs on four machines that he purposely forged just for this
purpose.  We doubt it very much.  We suspect that fh@eddie, half-bright
boy that he is, was merely half-clever enough to use rlr@borax to half-hide
his tracks.  As long-time readers of *.religion all remember, anything is
possible, but only a few things actually happen.

We personally disapprove of eddie's strict policy concerning forged news.
We have posted at times articles apparently from Santa Claus or "the real
Rich Rosen" with a standard brahms gang signature.  We don't think anyone
was fooled by them.  And we enjoyed the mod.announce April Fools' Day
forging of a "Mark Horton" article, and the fake ubizmo@brahms "UCB Wrath
Dept" articles some time back immensely.  The fake "arndt@prometheus"
articles, however, were feet of a different odor entirely.  We do not
deny that some people find vicious harassment of others quite hilarious,
but even Mikki has "heartily agreed" that these particular forgeries were
out of acceptable net.bounds.

We also are sorry that Gene Spafford judges talk.* based on Bonehead's
personal campaign to turn talk.religion.misc into a proctological exam-
ination room.  From the very beginning he stated that his purpose was to
outflame the brahms gang and anyone else, etc.  The grapevine we've heard
says that Foothead wanted to be the big metaflamer of the flamers--we
think he has overdone it for some months now, and this latest has merely
blown up in his face.  Unfortunately, talk.religion.misc and talk.* suf-
fers for this.

As a final comment, it was refreshing to see the real Ken Arndt.  In case
there was any lingering doubt, do note that it was crossposted to two max-
imally inappropriate groups.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	  Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
ucbvax!brahms!gsmith	  Gene Ward Smith /Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
Those imposters, then, whom they call mathematicians, I consulted without
scruple, because they seemed to use no sacrifice, nor pray to any spirit
for their divinations.  		--Saint Augustine

ooblick@mit-eddie.UUCP (04/22/87)

Since I opened my mouth on this issue in the first place, I feel obliged
to clarify my views.

First, I admit a big error in being upset about root using privileges
when someone is accused of wrongdoing.  I should have thought first.

However, when said "root" then posts to the net that fh was using scripts
in his login to "forge news and mail", this is where I get upset.  This
was blatently untrue.  The scripts were used to allow Pooh and Paul
Zimmerman news and mail access.  I have been told that "time" was the
reason why this was not checked out before action was taken.  However, the
time it has taken in posting to the net in the first place, then in
response to complaints from myself and others, seem to indicate that it
would have been much more prudent to check first.

Therefore, the reasons posted to the net for removing fh were bogus.
On the other hand, fh could just as easily (and without so much bullshit)
have been removed for NO reason, or because it sure looks like he at least
had something to do with the phony arndt articles.

Not that I am crushed because fh is no more (quite the contrary), I just
don't like the "act now, check later" attitude, and hope that other sysadmins
do not adopt it.

Mikki Barry