[talk.religion.misc] Christmas parties

pooh@oddjob.UChicago.EDU (soggy and hard to light) (12/28/87)

In article <1340@vaxwaller.UUCP> chip@vaxwaller.UUCP (Chip Kozy) writes:

>	Although Christmas may have had its' roots in religion, it has
>become on of the most nonsecular holidays celebrated.

Sorry, Chip, but that won't wash.  Christmas IS a religious holiday,
through and through.  All the traditions that you feel have become
"nonreligious" because they're not in a church are still customs
that not everyone follows.

I grew up Jewish, for example.

Wreaths on the door?  Never heard of 'em.

Christmas tree?  Nope.

Carols?  Of any sort?  No.  We sung some Hanukkah songs,
sure, but never went around door to door singing them to anyone
else, or sang them at office parties, or heard them on the radio.

Gift giving?  First day of Hanukkah, although I suspect that
custom was borrowed from Christians to keep us kids from feeling
too bad.

Santa Claus?  Who's that?

No stockings, red and green were just two other colors, no
mistletoe (I never saw any until I was in college), and no
one cared if it snowed on Hanukkah.  No Rudolph the Red-Nosed
Reindeer.  We never sent out Christmas (OR Hanukkah) cards.

You see, these are still strange customs to me, and certainly
not SECULAR ones.  I have been exposed to them all my life,
but they have never been customs of ALL Americans, like Thanksgiving
and turkey.

They are so prevalent, unfortunately, that you THINK they have
become accepted by everyone and are hence nondenominational.  They
aren't.

Food for thought,
Pooh
       pooh@oddjob.uchicago.edu

Caesar: Pardon him, Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and
thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are
the laws of nature.
                        -- George Bernard Shaw

wlinden@unirot.UUCP (Will Linden) (12/30/87)

In article <14173@oddjob.UChicago.EDU> pooh@oddjob.uchicago.edu.UUCP (soggy and hard to light) writes:
>one cared if it snowed on Hanukkah.  No Rudolph the Red-Nosed
>Reindeer.  We never sent out Christmas (OR Hanukkah) cards.
>
>You see, these are still strange customs to me, and certainly
>not SECULAR ones.  I have been exposed to them all my life,
>but they have never been customs of ALL Americans, like Thanksgiving
>and turkey.
Your argument assumes that because something is "not the custom of
ALL Americans" THEREFORE it is "religious".
 That means that the May "Memorial Day", for instance, is "religious"
since some states observe Confederate Memorial Day instead.
THAT won't wash.

--
    Will Linden    cmcl2!rutgers!unirot!wlinden
    {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri!dasys1!wlinden

dale@sp7040.UUCP (Dale Clark) (12/31/87)

Take the example of Christna [sic?] beliefs.  Here was a demi-god born 1200
years before the Christian Jesus of a virgin mother who performed miracles
and was eventually put to death on a cross.  Sound familiar?  There have been
16 different sons-of-God, most of them males born of virgins.  But there is
no secular evidence that Jesus ever existed.  The Roman's never noted his
presence.  Winter has been a time of parties dating far back when tribes,
seeing the sun grow ever lower in the heavens (pardon by use of that word),
would have dances and prayers hoping for it to return.  Of course it always
did.

Even the Bible contradicts itself not only about the time the alleged "Jesus"
was born, but also about his name, and the fact that he was born of a virgin.
You want the exact citations? - I'll quote them for you.  But all this is
irrelevant to those persons who view the world through rose-colored glasses.
If you want to celebrate X-mas as religious - fine.  But don't interfere with
my celebration.  X-mas is a product of man, made by man, celebrated by man,
and so it will continue.

!{ihnp4!hpda!seismo!utah-cs!uplherc}!sp7040!dale
                                   "The agony of my soul found vent in one loud,
                                    long and final scream of despair."     --POE

richard@a.cs.okstate.edu (Richard Brown) (01/02/88)

in article <207@sp7040.UUCP>, dale@sp7040.UUCP (Dale Clark) says:

> Even the Bible contradicts itself not only about the time the alleged "Jesus"
> was born, but also about his name, and the fact that he was born of a virgin.
> You want the exact citations? - I'll quote them for you.  But all this is
> irrelevant to those persons who view the world through rose-colored glasses.
.
Yes, I would be interested in hearing your citations- in context, please.
"a text out of context is a pretext".
.
'rose colored glasses'?  let's see...
"If the world has hated Me how much more will it hate you?"
"Ye are not of this world, else the world would have loved you..."
etc.  Sorry, I don't have my Bible with me right now, so I can't give
you the exact citations.  The early Christians knew they would be abused,
tortured, imprisoned, and killed.  But they said they considered that
small loss compared to a life in the Spirit of Christ and the hope of
Eternal Life to come.
If that sounds like "rose-colored glasses" to you, then more power to ya'!
:
 Peace -- richard