[net.sf-lovers] Do you recall... & James P. Hogan

@RUTGERS.ARPA:jpa144@cit-vax (04/24/85)

From: jpa144@cit-vax (Jens Peter Alfke)

Barry Margolin (Margolin@MIT-MULTICS) writes:
> Ephrayim asked about a book in which the character[s] keep reliving
> the same day over.  I recall reading this book a few years ago, and
> I think it is James P. Hogan's "Twice Upon a Time".

Not as I recall -- Hogan's _Thrice_Upon_a_Time_ was about a computer-
-assisted device that could communicate with itself forwards and
backwards in time (hence the title), with some characters to make it
a story.

I actually enjoyed the book, but gave up halfway through two of his
other books; his characters generally seem to be cardboard, sturdy
enough only to hold up the scientific extrapolation that is the
core of his stories.  _The_Genesis_Machine_ inspired me to put it
down and read some >nonfictional< scientific lecturing.

[Flame --I say-- flame now off]

Oh yeah, the story -- does anyone else out there know what it is? If
it isn't one of the Dick stories that I mentioned previously, I'd like
to read it; it's a very interesting idea.

					--Pete  [jpa144@cit-vax]
If I spoke prose you'd soon find out
I don't know what I talk about!