[net.music] CD-only releases

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (10/19/84)

> From: rocksvax!dave

> The Police "Synchronicity" CD has "Murder By Numbers" on it whereas
> the vinyl version leaves this off.  Seeing this was one of my favorite
> Police songs I was a little disappointed to find out that all albums
> with the same name are not the same.

This is not particularly new, though it's not exactly common, either. I bought
a 10" disk by Rickie Lee Jones called GIRL AT HER VOLCANO, and then ended up
buying the cassette for it because the tape had a "bonus song not available on
LP" (I don't off-hand recall which song it was). Because this happens so rarely,
I don't get as irritated about this as I do the increasingly common habit of
record companies to use songs "not available on LP" as flip sides of hit
singles. Of course, no one's *forcing* you to buy the singles just for those
songs, but if you really like the artist/group, you're stuck between a rock and
a hard place.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

gtaylor@lasspvax.UUCP (Greg Taylor) (10/23/84)

There's at least one case I can think of in which the "not available on
the album" stuff made all the difference in the world. David Byrne's
"catherine wheel" was originally done as a score for Twyla Tharp, of
some 70 minutes in length. When the record company decided to put it
out, they only decided to do a single lp, and trashed the sequencing
in favour of the more "playable stuff." THE TAPE, however, has all 70
of the stuff, sequenced in the same order as the dance piece.

And it does make all the difference in the world.

I bet you just *HATE* New Order if you're not into buying singles....Roxy
Music initially swore that they'd never put out the same versions of
stuff on singles, but that fell by the way$ide.

   Traditionele communicatie is een controlemiddel omdat het gestructureerde,
   omlijnde visies opdringt. Door die communicatie te versplinteren halen we
   ook de controle eruit, en krijgt persoonlijke intuitie weer en plaats.