[net.sf-lovers] story identification

@RUTGERS.ARPA:boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (03/05/85)

From: boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

> From: Joseph M. Newcomer <NEWCOMER@TL-20B.ARPA>

> The plot: Geologists have evidence (new theory, new instruments, ?) that
> a major earthquake will hit L.A. within the next (week, month, ?).  The
> story concentrates on the politics and sociology of getting t he city
> evacuated.  It is evacuated.  After k days, no earthquake.  Geologists
> look like fools; everyone unhappy.  City is un-evacuated.  Earthquake
> strikes, millions die.
>
> I thought I remembered it from Analog, but I've just done a massive search
> of the last 10 years and can't find it.  I have a friend who is a geologist
> but non-sf person to whom I would like to show it.

Your memory is better than your search skills. The story is, I believe
(I haven't looked up the issue to check), "Fault" by James Gunn, in the
June 1975 issue of ANALOG.

[I've sent this directly to the requestor, since he asked to have it
done so, but I thought I'd post it here for anyone else who cares to
know the answer.]

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

<"Bibliography is my business">

boyajian@akov68.DEC (04/24/85)

> From:	olivee!gnome

> How about a short story called The House.  It is about a futuristic
> house on the outskirts of a city that has been recently nuked.  One of
> the things I remember was the little robotic mice that tried to keep the
> inside of the house clean as it started to fall apart.  (no mention of
> where it got it's power from...)
>
> If you have ever read it - I'd love to find it again.

This story is "There Will Come Soft Rains" by Ray Bradbury. It can be
found in many places, but the easiest is THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES.