[talk.philosophy.misc] Logic and Emotions

cher@ihlpf.UUCP (Mike Cherepov) (09/11/86)

> Read my definition again. You're just repeating what was said before.
> You're right that this isn't a clarification.

I do not have your definition anymore, how about those: "fallacy is
a statement based on a false or invalid inference", and
"inference is a process of deriving a conclusion from facts or
premises". Pulled out of the American Heritage Dictionary.
Using these, I can not help but classify something like
"this man is very repugnant, so his reasoning is bad" as a
fallacy.
Are you objecting against my use of word "logic" where "informal
reasoning" might have been more appropriate? Actually, I don't
think even the most pedantic view can totally invalidate that phrasing.
			Mike Cherepov

ladkin@kestrel.ARPA (Peter Ladkin) (09/16/86)

In article <711@ihlpf.UUCP>, cher@ihlpf.UUCP (Mike Cherepov) writes:
> I do not have your definition anymore, how about those: "fallacy is
> a statement based on a false or invalid inference", and
> "inference is a process of deriving a conclusion from facts or
> premises". Pulled out of the American Heritage Dictionary.

This definition is incorrect, since any statement whatever can be
the conclusion of an invalid inference: take an arbitrary statement P.
Then  *not P, therefore P* is an invalid inference.
Hence the statement P is a fallacy according to the definition.
BTW, my edition of the AHD has no such definition.

Peter Ladkin
ladkin@kestrel.arpa