[talk.philosophy.misc] What is Love?

MIQ@PSUVMA.BITNET (09/14/86)

     Actually, my favorite definition was written by Robert Heinlein.
Paraphrased:   Love is the condition when the happiness of another
person is essential to your own.

-------
                                     ---------------------------
James D. Maloy                       |   THIS SPACE FOR RENT   |
The Pennsylvania State University    |      Call 555-2317      |
                                     ---------------------------
Bitnet: MIQ@PSUECL
UUCP  : :akgua,allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4:!psuvax1!psuvma.bitnet!miq

     "I am pleased to see we have differences.  May we together become
greater than the sum of both of us."
                                           -- Surak of Vulcan

colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (09/16/86)

>      Actually, my favorite definition was written by Robert Heinlein.
> Paraphrased:   Love is the condition when the happiness of another
> person is essential to your own.

And I thought Spinoza's definition was wide of the mark!  This one
looks as if a robot had thought it up.

	"Work faster or I'll kill you."
	"I guess that means I love you."
	*BANG*

__
	"since feeling is first
	 whoever pays attention to the syntax of things
	 will never wholly kiss you"

				--E. E. Cummings
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

belmonte@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Matthew Belmonte) (09/22/86)

In article <930@sunybcs.UUCP>, colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
> >      Actually, my favorite definition was written by Robert Heinlein.
> > Paraphrased:   Love is the condition when the happiness of another
> > person is essential to your own.
>
> And I thought Spinoza's definition was wide of the mark!  This one
> looks as if a robot had thought it up.
>
> 	"Work faster or I'll kill you."
> 	"I guess that means I love you."
How is it that that means the worker loves the threatener?  It seems that you
are trying to say that the threatener's happiness is essential to the worker's
happiness.  It looks like the worker thinks that the worker's life is
essential to his happiness.  (He may or may not be correct in thinking this,
but that's another subject.  In any case, he's acting according to his view
that his life is essential to his happiness.)  Now, if the worker's life is
essential to his happiness, and, coincidentally, the worker's life (and,
more importantly, his rate of production) is essential to the threatener's
happiness, how does it follow that the threatener's happiness is essential
to the worker's own happiness?  The worker's happiness may be necessary but
not sufficient for the threatener's happiness.  It's a big universe.  There
are lots of things Out There capable of getting the threatener riled.  So,
conceivably, the threatener could spare the worker & still be made unhappy
by some other influence.  In such a case, the threatener would be unhappy
and the worker would be happy (assuming the case of a simple-minded worker
who requires nothing but life for happiness).  It seems that we have a
counterexample.
One could hypothesize about a threatener who existed only to make this worker
work.  In such circumstances, the worker might love the threatener, going on
Heinlein's definition of love.  But such a case is absurd.
--
Matthew Belmonte
ARPA: