[talk.philosophy.misc] Decline of Philosophy

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/09/86)

[williams@kirk.dec.com ]
/* ----- "Decline of Philosophy" ----- */
>The average value of philosophy in the states can be approximate-
>ly  measured  by  the  number of philosophy books you can find in
>bookstores.  The current theme appears to be "  business  manage-
>ment " and " self help ".  Both these fields are symptomatic, and
>actually contain little or no insight into modern problems.

For this reason philosophers ought to be grateful  to  Ayn  Rand,
whose  philosophy  books  are  in  the bookstores and sell.  That
can open the market to others - e.g., those who would criticize her.

Even the cheap mysticism now flooding the shelves opens the way
to people who would start with debunking it, then propose their
own ideas.

A philosopher ought not to be snotty, but come to the readers
and begin by discussing *their* concerns in plain English
(or whatever the language of the land is).
It is easier for philosophers to do than for anyone else, since
philosophy is universal and applies to everything (including
self-help and even business management).

Those philosophers whose work is esoteric and  unreadable  cannot
do  it, but that's only fair.  Why should laymen pay, directly or
through taxes or through tuition fees, for someone else's hobby?

The customer is the boss. Educate your bosses - but don't
ignore them.

		Jan Wasilewsky

m128abo@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Michael Ellis) (09/12/86)

> Jan >> John

>> The average value of philosophy in the states can be approximate-
>> ly measured by the number of philosophy books you can find in
>> bookstores.  The current theme appears to be " business manage-
>> ment " and " self help ".  Both these fields are symptomatic, and
>> actually contain little or no insight into modern problems.

> For this reason philosophers ought to be grateful to Ayn Rand, whose
> philosophy books are in the bookstores and sell.  That can open the
> market to others - e.g., those who would criticize her.

> Even the cheap mysticism now flooding the shelves opens the way to
> people who would start with debunking it, then propose their own
> ideas.

    Do you think that the presence of all that cheap mysticism has
    opened the market to truly worthwhile mysticism? I'm about as sure
    of the answer to this question as I am that Rand's misosophy has
    been opening doors to worthwhile philosophy.

> A philosopher ought not to be snotty, but come to the readers and
> begin by discussing *their* concerns in plain English (or whatever
> the language of the land is).  It is easier for philosophers to do
> than for anyone else, since philosophy is universal and applies to
> everything (including self-help and even business management).

    Certain areas, like phenomenology or analytic philosophy, indeed
    seem to be difficult to put into plain language. I'm not sure
    whether that is intrinsic to the subject matter or whether it is
    due to an affliction that tends to characterize those drawn to
    these pursuits.

    Personally, I find that Quine (for analytic philosophy) and Dreyfus
    (for phenomenology) are able to make everything clear and jargonfree,
    and, most importantly, downright compelling.

>Those philosophers whose work is esoteric and  unreadable  cannot
>do  it, but that's only fair.  Why should laymen pay, directly or
>through taxes or through tuition fees, for someone else's hobby?

    Frankly, I don't think discussion about academic funding
    belongs here, Jan. I respect your opinion on this issue, but
    *please* keep political discussions in net.politics.theory, the
    newsgroup intended for such topics.

    Now as to the question of whether current philosophy is important
    enough to be classified as important research, is it your
    opinion that what you apparently cannot or will not understand
    ("esoteric or "nreadable") must obviously be somebody's idle
    "hobby"?

>The customer is the boss. Educate your bosses - but don't
>ignore them.

    Don't forget to educate yourself while you're at it..

-michael

    Non potest esse in intellectu solo

-Anselm

bsmith@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (09/13/86)

Michael,
I'm trying real hard to stop laughing.  The statement that Quine is able
to make everything perfectly clear and understandable is a little bit
of an overstatement.  Try reading his "Two Dogmas of Empiricism."  Come
to think of it, be prepared to try reading it 3 or 4 times before it
makes a whole lot of sense.

Barry Smith

tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (T. Moody) (09/15/86)

In article <11700379@inmet> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:

>Those philosophers whose work is esoteric and  unreadable  cannot
>do  it, but that's only fair.  Why should laymen pay, directly or
>through taxes or through tuition fees, for someone else's hobby?
>
>The customer is the boss. Educate your bosses - but don't
>ignore them.
>
>		Jan Wasilewsky

I tend to agree that so-called "professional" philosophers, like
myself, have a responsibility to maximize the intelligibility of their
work to the intellectual public, but there may be natural limits to
that intelligibility.

Scientists, for example, tend to write for other scientists.  What
this means is that they use convenient jargon and presuppose of their
readers a fairly detailed background knowledge of the matter at hand.
And the intelligent layman is seldom heard to complain that scientific
research journals are "too technical"; instead, he looks for digests
and respectable popularizations.

But even the intelligent layman *does* complain about the technical
thickness of philosophy, as it is practiced these days.  The
implication is that philosophers should *not* write for other
philosophers.  Why?

I think that mosty people believe that philosophy is *for everybody*,
in a way that science is not.  That is, the layman may well feel that
he is not really entitled to an opinion on cell membrane diffusion or
high-energy particle interactions.  But the same layman is likely to
feel that he *is* entitled to an opinion about, say, free will or the
nature of knowledge.

There may be many reasons for this, but part of it is the sense that
while science is about *facts*, philosophy is about *positions*.
Thus, expertise in science consists of the internalization of a great
deal of information, and the mastery of the relevant problem-solving
techniques.  And we all understand that these things require a great
deal of specialized training.

The practice of philosophy, on the other hand, is more like staking
out a piece of territory and defending it.  And the overall
battlefield is a place where anyone has a right to be entrenched.  And
so, when philosophy becomes too technical, the layman feels that an
attempt is being made to make this battlefield inaccessible.

To some extent, the layman is right.  By making philosophy
unintelligible to the layman, philosophers can hope that it will
appear more "scientific" and thus more respectable.

On the other hand, the only progress there is in philosophy is
negative: adding to the necrology of failed arguments and positions,
as the inadequacies of this or that position are exposed.  In this
atmosphere, understanding requires a fairly detailed familiarity with
what is often a long and cmplex fugue of arguments and
counterarguments.  And so, philospohers begin to presuppose this
familiarity, in their written works.  To the extent that they do so,
what they write becomes less and less accessible to outsiders who lack
this familiarity.  And so it goes.

There is an interesting article called "Philosophy as Ideology" in the
Winter, 1986 issue of _Metaphilosophy_.  And though I blush to mention
it, there is a piece called "Progress in Philosophy" by yours truly in
the last _American_Philosophical_Quarterly_.

kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) (09/23/86)

I appreciated Todd Moody's lamentations on the relative inaccessibility
of philosophical inquiries to the lay public.  I think this is an
issue which philosophically minded afficianados (professional and
hobbyist alike) would do well to keep in mind.  I agree that we
often plunge into arcane discussions which don't fill the bill as
a spectator sport.

On the other hand, books like _The Tao is Silent_, _The Mind's I_,
and _Elbow Room -- The Varieties of Free Will Worth Wanting_ are
good examples of philosophy packaged for the educated layman.

Perhaps it is time to revive the Atheneum, that arena of philosophical
debate with which the Greeks amused themselves some 2500 years ago.
I would love to hear George Will on Free Will or Anthony Lewis on
the Evolution of Opinion.  A strong dose of civility plus good-natured
humor would make for healthy and lively dialogue that would attract
a larger following.

In the meantime, could we have a review of the bidding?  I seem
to have forgotten the point which we were arguing about....

Barry Kort
hounx!kort