[net.sf-lovers] Sir Issac Newton and TNOTB

WEBBER@RUTGERS.ARPA (04/19/85)

From: Bob Webber <WEBBER@RUTGERS.ARPA>

> From: dolqci!mike@topaz.arpa (Mike Stalnaker)
> Subject: Number of the Beast
> Date: 15 Apr 85 15:07:20 GMT
>
>       Am I the only one who enjoyed TNOTB?  I hope not.

of course not.  however, TNOTB is in essence a large joke.  people who
did not get it think it was a major waste of time and flame.  people
who did get it realize that you can't explain a joke to someone who
didn't get it; so they have less reason to write.

> One character there that I couldn't
> recognize was the dragon, Sir Isaac Newton.

i believe that was the name of one of the Venusians (sp?) (a
dragon-like race inhabiting Venus) in one of his juveniles, Star
Beast.  these sentients "spoke" with humans using a voder (a speech
synthesizer that one could play like an accordian).  as this memory
is over a decade old, take it with a grain of salt.

--------------------------------- BOB (webber@rutgers.arpa)
-------

plutchak@uwmacc.UUCP (Joel Plutchak) (04/19/85)

In article <1673@topaz.ARPA> WEBBER@RUTGERS.ARPA writes:
>From: Bob Webber <WEBBER@RUTGERS.ARPA>
>
>>       Am I the only one who enjoyed TNOTB?  I hope not.
>
>of course not.  however, TNOTB is in essence a large joke.  people who
>did not get it think it was a major waste of time and flame.  people
>who did get it realize that you can't explain a joke to someone who
>didn't get it; so they have less reason to write.

   And then there are those of us who read it, "got" it, and *still*
didn't like it.  The joke was largely on us people who spent time and
money to listen in on somebody elses private joke.
          -joel

oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (04/20/85)

In article <1673@topaz.ARPA> WEBBER@RUTGERS.ARPA writes:
>From: Bob Webber <WEBBER@RUTGERS.ARPA>
>
>of course not.  however, TNOTB is in essence a large joke.  people who
>did not get it think it was a major waste of time and flame.  people
>who did get it realize that you can't explain a joke to someone who
>didn't get it; so they have less reason to write.

Uhm..RAH takes himself too seriously to be able to write
a sardonic novel.. It takes somebody like LEM to write the stuff.
If we missed something in TNOTB, ah well.. Perhaps somebody will explain
what appears to be utter trash.. Than, I will volunteer to explain the
literary qualities of "The National Enquirer" :-).

Oz	(wizard of something or another, no doubt..)
	Electric: {ihnp4 | allegra | decvax ..}!utzoo!yetti!oz
	Bitnet:	  Oz@yuleo
--------
	[Where you stand on an issue depends on where you sit]

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (04/24/85)

> From: Bob Webber <WEBBER@RUTGERS.ARPA>
>
> > From: dolqci!mike@topaz.arpa (Mike Stalnaker)
> > Subject: Number of the Beast
> > Date: 15 Apr 85 15:07:20 GMT
> >
> >       Am I the only one who enjoyed TNOTB?  I hope not.
>
> of course not.  however, TNOTB is in essence a large joke.  people who
> did not get it think it was a major waste of time and flame.  people
> who did get it realize that you can't explain a joke to someone who
> didn't get it; so they have less reason to write.
>

> --------------------------------- BOB (webber@rutgers.arpa)
> -------

Oh brother...give me a break! (Gosh, some people didn't like something
that I did OBVIOUS don't know there head from their...feet...so anything
they say can be disregarded...)

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

                 /
               =|--
               = \
               =
             [][][]

"...I don't know what this thing does, but it's pointing in your direction."