[talk.philosophy.misc] Extinctions

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (09/25/86)

[This article contains no philosophy.  But in the 17th century it
would have been described as "natural philosophy".  Follow-ups are
directed to net.sci.]

[wex@milano.UUCP]
>I seem to recall that experts now think that 98% of all species are
>now extinct.  It is hard to believe figures for species extinction
>from the past because the information from that time is so poor.
>Most species were not even known; how would we determine how many
>species died out from say 1700-1799?  There is evidence for species
>known today but how does that compare with the past?

Records of the disappearance of birds and mammals have been
reasonably accurate since about 1600.  Around 130 bird and mammal
species became extinct between 1600 and 1975.  In 1600 there were
about 12,910 species of birds and mammals, and on this basis the
average rate of extinction during this period is estimated to be 5 to
50 times as great as the average rate during the prehistoric past.
[Sources: Fisher, Simon, and Vincent, *Wildlife in Danger* (1969);
Ehrlich et al., *Ecoscience*.]

No one knows or will ever know the exact number of species of all
types of organisms that have become extinct since 1600.  One
difficulty is that we don't know how many living species there are
even within an order of magnitude.  About 1.6 million species have
been catalogued and described, but this is probably well under half
of the total.

E.O. Wilson writes [*Biophilia* (1984), pp. 121-122]:

  Extinction is accelerating and could reach ruinous proportions during
  the next twenty years.  Not only are birds and mammals vanishing but
  such smaller forms as mosses, insects, and minnows.  A conservative
  estimate of the current extinction rate is one thousand species a
  year, mostly from the destruction of forests and other key habitats
  in the tropics.  By the 1990s the figure is expected to rise past ten
  thousand species a year (one species per hour).  During the next
  thirty years fully one million species could be erased.

For the latest on prehistoric extinction rates, see David Raup's
article in one of the March 1986 issues of *Science*.  (Raup is the
author of *The Nemesis Affair*.)

Richard Carnes