[talk.philosophy.misc] Quine against meaning

cbo@utai.UUCP (Calvin Bruce Ostrum) (09/19/86)

Peter Ladkin (ladkin@kestrel) writes:
| Are you familiar with the arguments of Quine that there is no
| such attribute as *meaning the same thing* ?
| However, he doesn't argue that everything is meaningless.

Quine is a semantic behaviorist, so he thinks meanings are to
be identified with sets of external stimuli. The meanings he
accepts, and thus the meanings for which he acknowledges there is
a criterion of individuation, are what he calls stimulus meanings.
(Note: certainly Quine thinks you can compare things which are
meaningful to see if they have the same meaning. This is just
a consequence of one of his biggest ontological claims: no entity
without identity.)
Quine's "arguments", such as they are, are directed toward full fledged
propositional meaning. As far as I can see, the arguments are terrible:
here is a sketch of the main one, the "argument from radical translation".

A linguist who went to a radically different culture from ours, attempting
to produce a translation manual, would have to set out by gathering two
sets of stimuli for each native utterance. (These should be as close as
possible to the natives perceptual input: what he sees expressed in terms
of retinal stimulation). One set contains those stimuli for which the
native assents to the given utterance (the positive stimulus meaning) and
the other contains those stimuli for which he dissents (the negative
stimulus meaning). Collectively these comprise the stimulus meaning, a
kind of meaning Quine finds unproblematic (since there is an obvious
criterion of individuation).

Collecting stimulus meanings is all that the linguist can do, according
to Quine. At this point, however, the translation manual is radically
underdetermined. There will be many different manuals, each of which
fits the empirical constraints available. These manuals will be different
in the sense that, for example, one of them will match a native utterance
A up with our utterance B, and another  will match A up with C, where
B and C "stand in no relation of synonomy, no matter how loose" (Quote
as I remember it from Word and Object). Of course B and C are equal in
stimulus meaning, but there is no more full notion of meaning which is
preserved under the translation. Since meaning is supposed to be preserved
under translation, and we have done the best translation possible in
principle, Quine concludes that there is no such thing as meaning (or,
more accurately, that stimulus meaning is the fullest kind of meaning
there is).

This is Quine's argument. As far as I know, all of his other arguments
are just variations on this. Don't flame me with the flaws in this argument.
As far as I am concerned, it is full of nonsequiturs, howlers, and
incorrect assumptions. Quine afficionados, feel free to flame the interpretaion
of the argument, but I think its pretty faithful.

		* * *

Quine aside, how about some real philosophy discussion? Like, for example:
Is realism correct? (vs. nominalism/idealism (old style) or
positivism/constructivism (new style)).

		* * *

Philosophy: (n). A system of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.
		---Ambrose Bierce

Calvin Bruce Ostrum, University of Toronto Department of Computer Science

uucp: 	{ihnp4 decwrl utzoo uw-beaver decvax allegra linus}!utcsri!utai!cbo
arpa:	cbo%toronto@csnet-relay
csnet:	cbo@toronto

ladkin@kestrel.ARPA (Peter Ladkin) (09/30/86)

In article <2382@utai.UUCP>, cbo@utai.UUCP (Calvin Bruce Ostrum) writes:
> Quine's "arguments", such as they are, are directed toward full fledged
> propositional meaning. As far as I can see, the arguments are terrible:
> here is a sketch of the main one, the "argument from radical translation".

[followed by an elegant summary of his argument from Word and Object]

Quine's original argument against analyticity,
necessary properties, and sameness-of-meaning, pre-dates
Word and Object by many years. The radical translation argument
is his positive contribution from W&O. His original comments were
ad hominem, showing that the explanations of these entities were
circular, and thus left room for sceptics such as himself to
doubt the whole arrangement. I always thought this argument
was rather good, and I still await some convincing explanation
of propositions and their identity (notwithstanding the fact
that I use pro forma definitions of this in formal languages
without blinking). I tend to think there isn't any.
The situation semantical approach seems to avoid many of the
problems with precise semantics that caused the reliance on
propositions and their identity, and is thus evidence that
maybe we can do without the notions that Quine suggested
were incoherent.

Peter Ladkin
ladkin@kestrel.arpa