[talk.philosophy.misc] A and not A

mark@umcp-cs.UUCP (Mark Weiser) (09/23/86)

So can one have a consistent system in which A and not A are both true?
Well, not in the technical sense of consistent, because it is defined
to NOT mean this.  So change consistent to mean workable, practical,
inspiring, enlightening.  Now what does it mean to say A and not A are
both "true"?  True is slippery concept here.  If true is defined as
follows: "'A' is true iff A", assuming all the appropriate temporal
and situational caveats, then again a technical problem confronts
us in the meaning of 'iff', which will not permit both A and not A
to appear in the above definition and make sense.  So change truth
to mean: 'part of the possible existence of people".  NOW can
both A and not A be true?  Sure, you bet, even within the same person,
and I don't mean trivially because people can disagree.

A and not A can both be true, in a consistent system, within the definitions
above, because both A and not A are in fact always present.  There is
no A without not A (every foreground has its background, else it
is not present at all).  Therefore in a profound sense EVERY system must
have both A and not A true, else it has nothing in it at all.

(The above is loosely based on a long association with the thought of Heidegger.
I am responsible for the content, not him.  He's dead, after all.)
-mark
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark@maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817
CSNet:	mark@umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark

ladkin@kestrel.ARPA (Peter Ladkin) (09/24/86)

In article <3539@umcp-cs.UUCP>, mark@umcp-cs.UUCP (Mark Weiser) writes:
> [.....]  So change truth
> to mean: 'part of the possible existence of people".

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Peter Ladkin
ladkin@kestrel.arpa

cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel Rives) (09/24/86)

In article <3539@umcp-cs.UUCP> mark@umcp-cs.UUCP (Mark Weiser) writes:
>A and not A can both be true, in a consistent system, within the definitions
>above, because both A and not A are in fact always present.  There is
>no A without not A (every foreground has its background, else it
>is not present at all).  Therefore in a profound sense EVERY system must
>have both A and not A true, else it has nothing in it at all.
>
>(The above is loosely based on a long association with the thought of Heidegger.

If you find value in this way of thinking then I recommend that you read some
on Taoist philosophy.

--
                                               Joel Rives
                                               gatech!gitpyr!cc100jr

{ * }-------{ * }-------{ * }-------{ * }-------{ * }-------{ ^ }-------{ * }

              There is no place to seek the mind;
                It is like the footprints of the birds in the sky.

{ * }-------{ * }-------{ * }-------{ * }--------{ * }-------{ * }-------{ * }

mark@umcp-cs.UUCP (Mark Weiser) (09/26/86)

In article <12726@kestrel.ARPA> ladkin@kestrel.ARPA (Peter Ladkin) writes:
>In article <3539@umcp-cs.UUCP>, mark@umcp-cs.UUCP (Mark Weiser) writes:
>> [.....]  So change truth
>> to mean: 'part of the possible existence of people".
>
>??????????????????????????????????????????????????????
>
>Peter Ladkin
>ladkin@kestrel.arpa

Oh, I bet you are one of those who likes: "'P' is true just if P"
for your definition of truth (Tarski).  I find this definition
rather silly as it leaves out just about all the hard questions,
and furthermore only applies when there is language, or worse,
logic.  Long before there was language there was truth and falsity:
for instance, the pre-linguistic hunter/gatherer on a false trail
or a true trail in the woods.  Before there can be a P, much less
a 'P', there has to be the possiblity of experiencing the world.
That is why 'truth' as 'part of the possible existence of people',
while just a shorthand expression, is a lot closer to what truth
really means than the logicians definition.

If you want to know more, check out one of the most influential
philosophers of the 20th century, Martin Heidegger.  With particular
regard to truth, try: "On the Essence of Truth", in Existence and
Being, published by Regnery, Chicago (1949).
-mark
--

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/26/86)

[Mark Weiser:  mark@umcp-cs.UUCP ]
>A and not A can both be true, in a consistent system, within  the
>definitions  above,  because  both A and not A are in fact always
>present. There is no A without not A (every  foreground  has  its
>background,  else  it is not present at all). Therefore in a pro-
>found sense EVERY system must have both A and not A true, else it
>has nothing in it at all.

>(The above is loosely  based  on  a  long  association  with  the
>thought of Heidegger.

This is basically Hegel's teaching on  the  matter,  although  he
would  not  have  used  the  words *consistent system* (something
closed and static), and especially, *a*  system  -  since  that
makes truth a matter of convention. To him, "truth is a process",
and an objective one. The idea of "A" not only  presupposes  "not
A"  as  background, but changes the "system" to call not-A forth.
Paraphrasing Heraclitus,  you  cannot  enter  the  same  system
twice.

On second thoughts, I'd better say (still in a Hegelian mode  but
not  using  his  vocabulary):  you  cannot enter the same *context*
twice - and it is more inevitable than with  Heraclitus's  river.
Water might stop flowing; but your very entering a context changes it.

Now, in what direction does thought change its context?

To quote Mark Weiser again,

>Therefore in a profound sense EVERY system must have both A and
>not A true, else it has nothing in it at all.

According to Hegel, thought evolves  in  the  direction  of  this
"profound  sense":  a  synthesis  of  the opposites inherently
present in the "system" - he would have said, in Reality, being a
(lowcase o) objectivist - is, step by step, realized by the  pro-
cess  of  pure  thought.  Each A evolves into some not-A and then
into some <A & not-A> - which was implicitly there all along.

"Only in the end is a thing what it is in truth" (Hegel).

Thus, in place of the "system" of Mark Weiser, there is the real-
ity  inquired  into, and the inquiring thought - but according to
Hegel, in the end, the two merge. Reality is fully knowable
because it's made of the same stuff thought is.

The time implied in this process of truth  is logical time,
not the time of nature - but (this is another story)
it is, according to Hegel, also the time of human history.

[Based on a long-term but long-past acquaintance with Hegel's
thought. The books to read are the Phenomenology of the Spirit
and the larger Logic. A good translation is essential.
Hegel uses the language in many non-obvious ways.]

		Jan Wasilewsky

ladkin@kestrel.ARPA (Peter Ladkin) (09/27/86)

In article <3591@umcp-cs.UUCP>, mark@umcp-cs.UUCP (Mark Weiser) writes:
> Oh, I bet you are one of those who .....

......was completely puzzled by what you meant.

> That is why 'truth' as 'part of the possible existence of people',
> while just a shorthand expression, is a lot closer to what truth
> really means than the logicians definition.

How about giving the longhand definition instead? I still find
the shorthand incomprehensible.

About Heidegger, have you read any of Dreyfus's commentaries?

Peter Ladkin
ladkin@kestrel.arpa

mark@umcp-cs.UUCP (Mark Weiser) (09/27/86)

In article <2282@gitpyr.UUCP> cc100jr@gitpyr.UUCP (Joel Rives) writes:

>If you find value in this way of thinking then I recommend that you read some
>on Taoist philosophy.

I have read some Taoist philosophy.  I find Heidegger more satisfying
because he has to wrestle with the entire Western philosophical
tradition, not ignore or dismiss it.  Thus I can read Heidegger on
Kant, on Aristotle, on various pre-Socratics, on philosophy of
science and art.
-mark
--

belmonte@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Matthew Belmonte) (10/11/86)

In article <117400049@inmet>, janw@inmet.UUCP writes:
> Paraphrasing Heraclitus,  you  cannot  enter  the  same  system
> twice.
No, that's paraphrasing Plato's misinterpretation of Heraclitus.  Plato said
that Heraclitus said that "you could not step into the same river twice."
The real fragment is "Upon those who step into the same river flow other and
yet other waters."  I think Heraclitus must be one of the most misinterpreted
philosophers.  The same river continues to exist as such, but its composition
changes.  It becomes warmer and cooler as the seasons change.  It may flow into
a desert or sea somewhere and cease to exist as such.  The _logos_ is in
constant flux.  There is opposition in everything.  But things can change in
their accidental properties and still remain what they are (were).  It is only
when the set of essential properties no longer fits the definition of thing
that new-thing has ceased to be thing.  We don't define "river" as containing
certain waters or containing waters of a certain temperature.  (Please no flames
about water's freezing and boiling depending upon temperature;  I'm saying
"certain temperature," not "certain temperature range.")  Therefore, when a
river warms or cools or flows we still believe that it's the same river.
A final comment about _A_ and "not _A_" -- let's be sure what we mean by
"not _A_."  Define the set B as
	- {A} if A is an individual (Yes, I know this is debatable for most A.)
	- A if a is a set
By not-A, we could mean "the opposite of A" or we could mean, more generally,
the set U-B, where U is the universe.  Unless the universe is restricted to A
and its opposite, then these two interpretations are not equivalent.
--
Matthew Belmonte
ARPA: