[talk.philosophy.misc] Types of Utilitarianisms

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (10/10/86)

In article <117400125@inmet> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:

>Utilitarianism does not pass its own test. Case by case optimiza-
>tion  is  not optimal - for at least two reasons: the overhead is
>too high, and human weakness distorts judgement, exposing one  to
>the  temptations  of  the  moment - cumulative temptations of
>many moments. This leads to what I call the Principle Principle -
>or  the  Rule Rule - which is that one needs inflexible rules. In
>legal sphere, this justifies  written  law  -  and  as  laws  are
>changeable too, constitutions.

   This seems to be an argument, not against Utilitarianism per se,
but in favor of what is sometimes called Rule Utilitarianism. In any
case, to say flatly that Utilitarianism doesn't pass its own test is
manifestly a fallacy. If I decide my goal is to optimize X, then it
is nonsense to claim optimizing X is not the best way to optimize X.
It might be true that the best way to optimize X (in this case human
happiness) is not via a situational method. Then we move the utility
considerations to the "meta level": we use this as a basis for choosing
our rules.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith     Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
"What is algebra exactly? Is it those three-cornered things?"J.M. Barrie

tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (10/11/86)

>>Case by case optimiza-
>>tion  is  not optimal - for at least two reasons: the overhead is
>>too high, and human weakness distorts judgement, exposing one  to
>>the  temptations  of  the  moment - cumulative temptations of
>>many moments. This leads to what I call the Principle Principle -
>>or  the  Rule Rule - which is that one needs inflexible rules. In
>>legal sphere, this justifies  written  law  -  and  as  laws  are
>>changeable too, constitutions.

Well said. In any case, we are at a point in time when it is
becoming possible to formalize "rule-based protocols" as
mathematical objects and study this problem scientifically
(as I was saying from my soapbox last year ... :-)