[talk.philosophy.misc] The meaning of language

hadeishi@husc4.harvard.edu (mitsuharu hadeishi) (10/08/86)

In article <13207@kestrel.ARPA> ladkin@kestrel.arpa (Peter Ladkin) writes:
>In article <337@husc6.HARVARD.EDU>, hadeishi@husc4.harvard.edu (mitsuharu hadeishi) writes:
>> [..]	Language in itself contains no meaning; it requires
>> at least two people with common experiences before the symbols
>> can be said to have meaning. [...]
>
>Although this statement is not central to your point as I read it,
>I should point out that it is highly contentious.
>
>Since you mention the private language argument (if there is just one),
>I assume you take it to be valid. Could you show us your version of
>the argument in more detail, please?

	My simple point was that, for example, a language created by
some intelligent creatures who have all died out would become a
"meaningless" set of symbols (assuming that language consists of
strings of symbols or sommething of that nature.)  If humans were to
try to interpret that language, they would only have the barest chance
if there were some way to associate their symbols with our own
human experiences (i.e., if the language were pictoral, we could
associate their symbols with our own conception of the relationship
between our visual world and the objective world.)  However, if these
creatures' experiences and modes of expression differed too greatly
from our own, we would have no points of reference and therefore would
not be able to decipher the language.

	My point here being that the symbols in themselves are not
identical with their meanings.  That is the string of letters (or
pattern of dots on your CRT) corresponding to the word "symbol"
is in itself different from the idea or fuzzy area of idea behind
this word.  (Here I perhaps differ from the behaviorist interpretations
of Wittgenstein in that I find it perfectly sound to talk about the
"ideas" or "concepts" in some sense "behind" or "interior" to
a person's language.  This is because, again, I feel that it is
not necessary nor is it desirable to require precise meanings for
words.)

	By this I mean to emphasize the distinction between thought and
language.  It has been assumed implicitly by many that language and
thought were either inseperable or so closely related that it makes
no difference.  However, my contention is that they are quite independent
(although they interact very closely) and that language in itself
should be rigorously separated from meaning and also from the continuous
and subtle nature of life experience.

				-Mitsu

(P.S. I will concede that a language in my view could be
said to have meaning if only one person associated meaning with it.
However, such a language would have no meaning in the context of
communication, which is to me the central fact of language: the
power and the limitation of language can be discerned only from
analyzing its role in communication.)

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (10/10/86)

In article <350@husc6.HARVARD.EDU> hadeishi@husc4.UUCP (mitsuharu hadeishi) writes:
>	My simple point was that, for example, a language created by
>some intelligent creatures who have all died out would become a
>"meaningless" set of symbols (assuming that language consists of
>strings of symbols or sommething of that nature.)  If humans were to
>try to interpret that language, they would only have the barest chance
>if there were some way to associate their symbols with our own
>human experiences (i.e., if the language were pictoral, we could
>associate their symbols with our own conception of the relationship
>between our visual world and the objective world.)  However, if these
>creatures' experiences and modes of expression differed too greatly
>from our own, we would have no points of reference and therefore would
>not be able to decipher the language.

   This is what you believe.  However, since you offer no evidence or
justification for this opinion, why do you expect others to accept it?
Exactly the opposite seems true to me; that no matter how different the
experiences and descriptions, the necessary internal consistency would
be enough to decipher the language, given a sufficiently large sample.

   Without argument or justification how can we call the discussion
conducted in this group 'philosophy'?

   -- David desJardins

hadeishi@husc4.harvard.edu (mitsuharu hadeishi) (10/10/86)

ve.  However, since you offer no evidence or
>justification for this opinion, why do you expect others to accept it?
>Exactly the opposite seems true to me; that no matter how different the
>experiences and descriptions, the necessary internal consistency would
>be enough to decipher the language, given a sufficiently large sample.

	Language does not need to be internally consistent.  A formal
logical system does, but not language.

	Actually, in the case of language I see no particular way to
adequately define what you might mean by "internally consistent."

	Question: How would one go about trying to decipher a language created
by aliens?

	Suppose these aliens had absolutely no points of experience
in common with ours.

	Imagine still further that these aliens had a system of concepts
which is for the most part orthogonal to ours.  (They cannot be
completely orthogonal because they, like we, use a form of language.)
So, for example, they may have no concept of time, space, objective
reality, et cetera.

	My assertion is this: the system of strings of symbols
which we call language always refers to some kind of internal concept
or idea.  We communicate by stringing together referents to these
concepts.  To understand another person we essentially must
recreate the thought of another by using the clues given by these
referents.  Therein lies the art of listening.

	However if the strings of symbols used by these aliens
do not refer to the ideas and concepts we are used to dealing with,
then we would not be able to translate them into any intelligible
form of English, no matter how many lengthy definitions we provide.
I.e., the wine tasters, if they only spoke of wine, would not be
able to communicate to us the quality of their taste of wine no
matter how long they spoke.  And wine tasters are human!

	The best we might be able to do is "Glibbitz glob gloo."
If they had a concept of objects, perhaps "THE glibbitz glob gloo."
If in addition they had an idea of objects acting on one another
in a time-sequence relationship, perhaps "THE glibbitz globbed the gloo."

	However, as the wine-taster example clearly shows, it is
not at all possible to transmit meaning only through the use of
language.  There must be shared experience.  (This is clear.
Do you dispute this, David?)

	Equally clear is this fact:  even if in principle we could
decipher meaning from language without shared experience (which
I argue is clearly impossible), it is certainly not possible in practice.

	In fact, there has to be a considerable amount of shared
experience before this can be done, in practice.  (cf. Artificial
Intelligence attempts at language translation.)

	When I say shared experience I also include the implicit
assumption that the two beings sharing the experiences have similar
minds; i.e., more accurately I should say shared concepts.

	What I am discussing here is practical philosophy.

	For example, even between two intelligent persons (and I
give you credit for being very intelligent, David, though perhaps not
altogether modest) even a slight difference in conceptual outlook
can render attempts to communicate almost futile.

	Between you and me, David, there exists a conceptual chasm.

	This chasm is not wide, though it is very deep.

	We can discuss the weather, the Red Sox, perhaps even the
color of the sky (unless you are color blind.)

	We can discuss the meaning of children's stories.

	Already this indicates a very, very large commonality
between our conceptual frameworks.  (Again, for extensive discussions
of this remarkable fact, please see the literature on AI attempts
to develop programs that can analyze children's stories, even very
short ones of a few sentences.  A convenient source is Dreyfus'
_What Computers Can't Do_, a controversial work but full of
fascinating examples.)

	This chasm, however, prevents you from appreciating the
nature of my argument, and in particular allows you to ignore
even the simplest elements of evidence I've adduced to support
my point.  (In this case the wine taster example is enough to
support my language argument.)

	I would like to say something more.

	I am not at all arguing for a kind of futility.

	That is, simply because of my lack of confidence in the
expressive omnipotence of language, I do not mean to imply that
we as humans are in any way limited to the limitations of our
language (or even our conceptual frameworks.)

	I am arguing for a dynamic reappraisal of our personal
intellectual frameworks.

	By this I mean: if you feel that language is expressively
omnipotent, you are satisfied with the type of discussion which
is restricted to language.

	This limits you, for the most part, to remain within your
a priori conceptual frameworks.  This is a statement of practical
reality, not necessity.  I.e., it is the trap which is easy to
fall into if you are a philosopher.

	You may feel that you are exploring many different frameworks
and possibilities through language.  However it is the language you
use that restricts you to a certain class of frameworks and possibilities.

	It is difficult to generate a radically new type of framework
from within this kind of discourse.  (Although I am attempting it here,
I did not arrive here through this kind of discourse.  I should
mention that I am not talking about drugs.  I do not take psychoactive
drugs, I have never done so, and I never will do so.)

	The question arises: do we need to generate new frameworks?
Why not consider the ones we have to be sufficient?  To this I answer:
you must look within yourself and answer this question as truthfully
as you can.

	But: In fact I do not think that *within* new frameworks lies the
answer.

	What I am talking about is a return to the basics.

	The basics being: what are the questions we should be
asking?  In what way should we go about answering them?  What are
the pitfalls into which we can fall?

	Reasoning takes you from premisses to conclusions.

	If your premisses are based on confusion, then your
philosophy will be based on confusion.

	If you do not constantly recheck you premisses against
reality, you will firstly be unable to distinguish between
plasuible-sounding premisses and secondly will not be able to
catch subtle fallacies in your premisses.

	This is why philosophers have the impression that they
frequently are getting nowhere (cf. the ethics debate.)

	Reality itself is a fertile ground for correcting your
errors.  There is no need to go to great lengths to check.
However, you have to go to some lengths.

	This is why language must be distrusted.

	Language simply represents concepts.  Some concepts lie
outside the range of language to express without direct
experience (my entire argument above.)

	Therefore we cannot just lie back in our armchairs and
expect that we will be able to fathom reality by talking and
talking.

	We will just be rearranging concepts in our minds.

	I believe this is the intuition of the artists.  If only
artists could influence philosophers!  Unfortunately it is usually
the other way 'round.  (Artists should have more confidence in their
intellectual authority, I think :-)

	The above has had resounding importance in my personal
and intellectual development.  I am speaking from experience, not
just theory.  It has reached a sufficient level of coherence for me
to feel confident in trying to express it in words.  Especially
to you philosophers out there on the net.  Even philosophers
deserve to be saved from themselves.

			-Mitsu

tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (10/11/86)

>>	My simple point was that, for example, a language created by
>>some intelligent creatures who have all died out would become a
>>"meaningless" set of symbols (assuming that language consists of
>>strings of symbols or something of that nature.)  If humans were to
>>try to interpret that language, they would only have the barest chance.

>   This is what you believe.  However, since you offer no evidence or
>justification for this opinion, why do you expect others to accept it?
>Exactly the opposite seems true to me;

Yes, this is a point which requires some technical knowledge
to understand.

There is bound to be some "information" (in the information-
theoretic sense) in the samples of the language that remain.
Cryptographers have frequently managed to break what were
thought to be impossibly difficult encoding schemes. There
are some very clever fellows in the "Cryptography Cabal" ...

g-rh@cca.UUCP (Richard Harter) (10/12/86)

In article <> tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Tom Tedrick) writes:
>>>	My simple point was that, for example, a language created by
>>>some intelligent creatures who have all died out would become a
>>>"meaningless" set of symbols (assuming that language consists of
>>>strings of symbols or something of that nature.)  If humans were to
>>>try to interpret that language, they would only have the barest chance.
>
>>   This is what you believe.  However, since you offer no evidence or
>>justification for this opinion, why do you expect others to accept it?
>>Exactly the opposite seems true to me;
>
>Yes, this is a point which requires some technical knowledge
>to understand.
>
>There is bound to be some "information" (in the information-
>theoretic sense) in the samples of the language that remain.
>Cryptographers have frequently managed to break what were
>thought to be impossibly difficult encoding schemes. There
>are some very clever fellows in the "Cryptography Cabal" ...

	Well there would certainly be "information", but that does
not necessarily suffice for translation.  Text in a natural language
has an information signature; encryption is basically a process of
disguising that signature without destroying the "information".
The effect of encryption is to transform the information signature;
cryptanalysis ultimately works by deducing the transformation
process by comparing the transformed signature with the original
signature.  It does not, however, reconstruct the original
"meaning" which is a different issue.

	In practice the cryptanalyst working with a foreign language
[i.e. one she does not know] can reconstruct the original
plain text; however once she has reached that point she has
to turn it over to a translater.

	The difficulties of translating text in an unknown
language de novo are enormous.  My recollection is that it has
been done in a couple of instances [rather incompletely] and that
most dead languages for which there are no cross translation
aids simply remain untranslated.  In any case, the problem is
how do you interpret the symbols that you have.  In the story
"Omnilingual", H. Beam Piper made the point that scientific
knowledge would likely be discernable from context because of
the universality of scientific knowledge.  For example, suppose
we found a chart that was recognizably the periodic table;
that would give us the names of the elements.  Similarly numbers
would probably be deducible.  This method has actually been
used, e.g. the Mayan astronomical tables.  However it clearly
has its limits.

	The nature of the difficulties can be imagined by
supposing that you are given a number of books [without pictures]
in an unknown language and are given the task of reconstructing
the language.  Without knowledge of the linguistic principles
of the language you don't even know what kinds of parts of
speech are being used.  [Some languages don't have the noun-verb-
adverb-adjective-preposition categories that we are accustomed to.]

	Even if languages are known, translation has its problems.
Quite often the original text rests on cultural presuppositions
that must be reproduced and included if the translation is to be
at all faithful.  For example, it is almost impossible to make a
translation of a work of oriental philosophy that is even compre-
hensible unless you have some background in oriental philosophy.

	So, as far as "evidence" is concerned, it is simply that
the success rate of reconstructing human written language in the
absence of translation keys is very low; we can only expect that
it would be worse for our hypothetical aliens.  We observe further
that translations difficulties arise even with humans because of
cultural difficulties.  We can only expect that an alien culture,
driven by a different physiology and different emotional constants,
would be even more difficult to deal with.

--

Richard Harter, SMDS Inc. [Disclaimers not permitted by company policy.]
	For Cheryl :-)

ladkin@kestrel.UUCP (10/14/86)

In article <16090@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Tedrick) writes:
> There is bound to be some "information" (in the information-
> theoretic sense) in the samples of the language that remain.
> Cryptographers have frequently managed to break what were
> thought to be impossibly difficult encoding schemes.

This is not, nor can this ever be made into, an argument against
the private language argument (which is that there can be no such
thing as a private language).

Neither can it be an answer to Quine's radical translation argument.

To provide an analogy, I think it's a little like answering a proof
of the undecidability of predicate calculus by saying that there
are some pretty ingenious mathematicians out there who could
probably prove or disprove any predicate calculus formula you needed.

Peter Ladkin
ladkin@kestrel.arpa