[talk.philosophy.misc] Edelman

dhw@itivax.iti.org (David H. West) (02/28/90)

In article <12038@venera.isi.edu> smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu.UUCP (Stephen Smoliar) writes:
|  One of the major punch lines of Gerald Edelman's NEURAL
|DARWINISM is that algorithms based on selection from a population may
|allow us to deal with the first half of this question--category formation.

I suspect that this constitutes a "punch line" only for those
unaware of the work of John Holland.

|Supposedly, he is taken on the assignment and manipulation of labels (which
|brings us into the realm of symbols) in his new book, THE REMEMBERED SELF;

See the chapter on the "broadcast language" in Holland's 1975 book.

-David West         dhw@iti.org

smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (03/01/90)

writes:
>|  One of the major punch lines of Gerald Edelman's NEURAL
>|DARWINISM is that algorithms based on selection from a population may
>|allow us to deal with the first half of this question--category formation.
>
>I suspect that this constitutes a "punch line" only for those
>unaware of the work of John Holland.

My personal feeling is that Holland's major advance has been in the area of
ASSIGNMENT to categories, rather than the FORMATION of those categories.  Thus,
the selective capabilities of his genetic algorithms are good for determining
how an input stimulus should be classified;  but the categories themselves are
essentially "hard-wired" into the architecture of the systems "genes."
However, if I am mistake in this impression, I would be very interested
in having someone set the record straight.

By the way, Edelman and Holland are quite aware of each other, as Holland sat
on the IJCAI panel which discussed Edelman's work.  Much of the discussion
involved the question of how an agent can manage in an unlabeled world, this
being Edelman's point of departure for his category formation work.  Holland's
position statement argued that retinal patterns are just as much "labels" as
are nouns in a natural language.  It sounds to me as if this argument is trying
to say that category formation is not an issue, and I'm not sure I'm ready to
buy into that yet.  I always liked Tony Hoare's observation that "the most
powerful tool available to the human intellect is abstraction."  I view nouns
as an abstraction of retinal patterns (among other things);  and I am not sure
there is much to be gained from calling things labels which really do not
impose ANY abstraction on the input stimuli.  Edelman seems to be saying
that, not only do such abstractions exist (i.e. abstractions on "raw data"
like retinal stimuli), but also they have a biological foundation.

USPS:	Stephen Smoliar
	USC Information Sciences Institute
	4676 Admiralty Way  Suite 1001
	Marina del Rey, California  90292-6695

Internet:  smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu

"Only a schoolteacher innocent of how literature is made could have written
such a line."--Gore Vidal

dhw@itivax.iti.org (David H. West) (03/03/90)

[a previous version of this was posted at 1am, when I don't think
 as clearly, but it couldn't be cancelled until morning because of
 local news peculiarities.  Apologies to anyone who sees both.]

In article <12084@venera.isi.edu> smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu.UUCP (Stephen Smoliar) writes:
|My personal feeling is that Holland's major advance has been in the area of
|ASSIGNMENT to categories, rather than the FORMATION of those categories.  Thus,
|the selective capabilities of his genetic algorithms are good for determining
|how an input stimulus should be classified;  but the categories themselves are
|essentially "hard-wired" into the architecture of the systems "genes."
|However, if I am mistake in this impression, I would be very interested
|in having someone set the record straight.

My personal view (nothing as definitive as "setting the record
straight") is that categories are built from sub-categories; at the
bottom, one (usually) hits hardware, and above that, one can build as
many evolving layers as one has the leisure to wait for.

People who have to get results out of serial simulations before
their funding agencies lose patience will be unwilling to try too
many layers, and will thus tend to (literally or metaphorically)
hard-wire the parts they are less interested in.  I would expect that
a category-formation experiment would have to involve more layers
than (and include) a category-assignment experiment.

-David West          dhw@iti.org