[net.sf-lovers] DragonSlayer

@RUTGERS.ARPA:GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA (04/23/85)

From: Gern <GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA>

I and several friends of mine enjoyed DragonSlayer a whole lot.  We saw
it 3 times.  It was a joint effort of Parmount and Walt Disney Productions.
I have the book, but have never had the chance yet to read it.

Of course the effects and Dragon were great - it was done by ILM
(Industrial Light and Magic) - (George) Lucas Film's group.

Now if only I had a VTR...

Cheers,
Gern
-------

gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (04/25/85)

> From: Gern <GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA>
>

> I and several friends of mine enjoyed DragonSlayer a whole lot.  We saw
> it 3 times.  It was a joint effort of Parmount and Walt Disney Productions.
> I have the book, but have never had the chance yet to read it.
>
> Of course the effects and Dragon were great - it was done by ILM
> (Industrial Light and Magic) - (George) Lucas Film's group.
>
> Now if only I had a VTR...
>
> Cheers,
> Gern
> -------

Yes, the Mechanical Effects (the full scale dragon head and baby dragon)
were done by ILM, but the hard-to-notice-because-they-are-so-subtle
visual effects were done by VCE (Visual Concept Engineering).

Like, for instance, when two swords come together and they FLASH, not
only did they do the flash itself, but they also added the lens flare
that a flash would have created (if it there had been a flash from
clashing swords).

They also did the resurection of the wizard sequence as well as many
other shorter shots.

Gary