[talk.politics.misc] US economic policy seems idiotic

ashcroft@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Dazed and Confused) (09/13/86)

In article <12982@amdcad.UUCP> csanders@amdcad.UUCP (Craig S. Anderson) writes:
>In article <484@aurora.UUCP> al@aurora.UUCP (Al Globus) writes:
>>To succeed in business there is one thing you must always remember:
>>
>>	Buy low, sell high.
>>
>>The US government recently conducted highly 'successful' economic talks
>>with Japan where we convinced them to sell us memory chips at HIGHER prices.
>
>You are oversimplifying the case.  The United States government convinced
>the Japanese to halt the practice of chip dumping (which is illegal).
>The Japanese were selling DRAMs and EPROMs for less than the cost of
>manufacturing them in order to gain market share at the expense of
>American corporations.  As a result, American companies will be able
>to sell more chips, which is good for the economy.  The agreement
>also included provisions that will help open up the Japanese market
>to American chip manufacturers, which will HELP our balance of
>payments.  On the down side, chip consumers will no longer be
>able to buy chips at the very low prices the Japanese were charging.

The steel companies went for a similar sort of cartel a while ago and
look where it left them.
The only people who will benefit from this are the South Koreans who
are now making their own memory chips... They are not included in the
agreement.

Apropos of nothing, it is expected that very soon the top three
chipmakers in the world will be the U.S., Japan, and South Korea.

The Europeans will be left in the dust.