[talk.politics.misc] Effects of Nuclear War: "Nuclear Winter"

Tim Sevener writes:
>Well, Mr. Jones, the findings by Carl Sagan and a team of a hundred
>scientists of a "Nuclear Winter Effect" have just been confirmed
>by the National Academy of Sciences.  The NAS study projected
>less of a temperature drop than the TTAPS study but it still
>projected a pronounced Nuclear Winter effect.

Maybe you read different journals than I do, but my recollection is that the
NAS study predicted a much lower temperature drop.  I still consider the
subject to be open for dispute, especially since the *effects* of the
temperature drop are even more hypothetical than the amount of change.  The
TTAPS study seems to have forgotten that there have been ice ages on this
planet.  I do not know all of the TTAPS authors, but Sagan's objectivity on
the matter would appear to be lacking, on the evidence of his popular
writings.

And again, they are arguing from the silly premise that nuclear war's
immediate effects aren't bad enough.

>So far the Nuclear Winter effect has yet to be effectively
>refuted by any knowledgeable  scientific group.

You mean, no other group has come to different conclusions.  THe only
refutation is by nuclear war.

C. Wingate