[talk.politics.misc] A Modest Proposal

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/08/86)

[Oded Feingold: oaf@mit-vax.UUCP]
>With the human population burgeoning beyond all reasonable bounds, and
>pushing the rest of  creation into  extinction,  maybe what  we really
>need is freely available euthanasia, which people can and will (enthu-
>siastically)  self-administer.

The premise is wrong: human population does not loom as large
vis-a-vis the rest of creation as some of its members believe. If
all the 5 billion of us were drowned in the Great Lakes, how much
would the water level rise? A fraction of an inch.

However, given the premise - and many people accept it -
the conclusion is by far the best that can be made.

Some people are so scared of babies they propose coercive
population control - a conception police.

Oded's proposal is non-coercive.
But it is morally preferable even compared to encouraging  volun-
tary population control. What are the malthusians afraid of? That
people may be brought into the world whose life will be not worth
living? Well, let *them* be the judges of that.

If it's not worth it, they can quit. If they are never
born, they get no chance and no choice.

The oaf plan makes the population problem  completely  self-regu-
lating.  Once  it  is implemented - cyanide over the counter or a
suicide booth at the corner, and once the customs adapt to accept
it - the world is guaranteed a population the *worst-off* part of
which thinks life worth living.

But these would be at the  tail  of  the  happiness  distribution
curve - which means, in any reasonable distribution, that the ma-
jority would be well above that level. So let us adopt the plan.

At any rate all population control advocates should  embrace  it,
*unless*  what  really  interests them is not overpopulation, but
control for control's sake. If they won't let people be born *or*
die  without permission, then they simply want total control over
you - or, in equivalent words - they want to *own* you.

		Jan Wasilewsky

radford@calgary.UUCP (Radford Neal) (09/15/86)

In article <559@gargoyle.UUCP>, carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) writes:
> [Jan Wasilewsky]
> >Oded's proposal [ easy euthenasia] is non-coercive.  But it is morally
> >preferable even
> >compared to encouraging  voluntary population control. What are the
> >malthusians afraid of? That people may be brought into the world
> >whose life will be not worth living? Well, let *them* be the judges
> >of that.
>
> Your view, evidently, is that a possible person is better off if he
> exists, so long as he is not so miserable as to take his own life,
> than if this possible person never comes to exist.  Well, I can quote
> Sophocles as a distinguished authority against this view.  But it is
> a very dubious one in any case.  A possible person is not a real
> person who can be better or worse off.  There is in fact no person
> until the moment the person comes into existence.  There was no
> actual Jan before Jan came into existence, there were only
> possibilities.

> >At any rate all population control advocates should  embrace  it,
> >*unless*  what  really  interests them is not overpopulation, but
> >control for control's sake. If they won't let people be born *or* die
> >without permission, then they simply want total control over you -
> >or, in equivalent words - they want to *own* you.
>
> Even if my motives are to enslave the world and become dictator for
> life, that would be irrelevant to the philosophical and scientific
> issues we have been discussing....
>
> Richard Carnes

My guess is that Jan meant this as a satire on Carnes' utilitarian
philosophy of the greatest good for the greatest number. He points out
that any person who doesn't commit suicide must in some sense have
a positive quantity of happiness, so the utilitarian philosophy has
difficulty in saying he shouldn't have been born.

For those who don't believe Jan meant this as satire, I will point out
that effective means of suicide have never been hard to come by, so this
isn't much of a "proposal". I also note that the title of the posting,
"A Modest Proposal", was first used by Jonathan Swift in advocating
that Irish babies be eaten.

    Radford Neal

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/19/86)

>[carnes@gargoyle.UUCP ]
>>Oded's proposal is non-coercive.  But it is morally preferable even
>>compared to encouraging  voluntary population control. What are the
>>malthusians afraid of? That people may be brought into the world
>>whose life will be not worth living? Well, let *them* be the judges
>>of that.

>The Malthusians are afraid of the prospect of a large number of
>people whose lives are much poorer, shorter, and less fulfilling than
>they need to be.  Consider an African child born in the next century
>who faces an impoverished and malnourished life owing to
>overpopulation.  Your response is to make suicide pills available --
>presumably not through the government.  Then, since this hypothetical
>person can freely choose to live or die, you consider that the
>situation is morally acceptable.

More: the idea is  that,  under  the  "Modest  Proposal",
that level of misery would not even be reached.

>Your view, evidently, is that a possible person is better off if he
>exists, so long as he is not so miserable as to take his own life,
>than if this possible person never comes to exist.  Well, I can quote
>Sophocles as a distinguished authority against this view.

But that testimony *supports* the "Modest Proposal" - that  would
lower the threshold of misery. Are you arguing *few* people would
take advantage of it? I expected the *opposite* objection...
But even a few would contribute to population control...

>But it is a very dubious one in any case. A  possible  person  is
>not  a  real  person  who can be better or worse off. There is in
>fact no person until the moment the person comes into  existence.

Or *after* the person goes out of existence.
The symmetry is complete. Neither are morally indifferent;
we feel sympathy with those who no longer exist, and for those
who are not born - and may never be.

Test it: you wouldn't like a *zero* birth rate, would you?   Whom
would it affect adversely? Generations that wouldn't exist?
It would be a pity to deprive them of the chance!

But let's select a criterion both of us find acceptable: sum  to-
tal of human happiness.

Then not only is it better to  have  happy  people  than  unhappy
ones, but it is better to have *more* happy people than fewer.

Oded's scheme - assuming complete success in  changing  laws  and
mores  -  guarantees that (1) *only* not-unhappy people live, (2)
most of them are happy (the bell-shaped curve takes care of that)
and  (3)  a  maximum  number  compatible  with  (1) and with pro-
creative freedom, live.

Whereas population control measures ensure neither (1) nor (2)
nor (3).

>We ought to maximize the number of good, happy
>lives -- not the number of merely endurable lives.

See (2) above. To quote a part of my original note:
>>... the world is guaranteed a population the *worst-off* part of
>>which thinks life worth living.

>>But these would be at the  tail  of  the  happiness  distribution
>>curve - which means, in any reasonable distribution, that the ma-
>>jority would be well above that level.

You never answered that.

>Pity the poor unicorn, never to run and play in the fields  like
>his  four-footed  counterparts  who are lucky enough to exist --
>what a colossal injustice has been perpetrated on the unicorn.

If it was up to us to create the unicorn or not, then that  prob-
lem  would  arise.  And  assuming  a unicorn to have the greatest
capacity for happiness of all imaginable creatures - it would  be
cruel of us not to create it.

>My response to the question  of  the  hypothetical  21st  century
>African  is  that  we  should strive to keep the human population
>below levels at which this African may be expected to  be  miser-
>able for a substantial part of his life.

The "modest proposal" does it -  automatically.  Whereas  you
may  overshoot  the mark - and descend to *another* misery level.
For you have no cause to assume misery to be a monotonic function
of numbers.

>>Some people are so scared of babies they propose coercive population
>>control - a conception police.

>This is a distortion.  I have not "proposed" coercive population
>control measures, without qualification;

Have I named you? Have I ever been shy of naming my opponents?

Some of the people you quote *do* make such recommendations.
Some other people even try to carry them out.
I meant them, not you - although a *similar* case  can  be  built
against your *conditional* acceptance of their proposals.

>Most of the articles objecting to coercive measures (particularly
>from the libertarian camp) have been kneejerk reactions to the terms
>"coercive" and "coercion".  I have already pointed out that one of
>the strong points of libertarianism is that you do not have to work
>very hard or study very long to understand it.  Coercion is bad:  now
>you understand moral and political philosophy.  The rest of us have
>to beat our brains out on tough philosophical issues.

An elementary principle like "coercion is bad" is not the end  of
wisdom  -  but a beginning of it. *If* it is true - then refusing
to accept it (and I have never seen you accept it)  undermines
the  sophisticated  superstructures  you  build.  *Accepting*  it
doesn't solve all problems either -  tough  philosophical  issues
still have to be tackled. To get to them, you can just  stipulate
agreement with the basic principle and ask tough questions.

>>At any rate all population control advocates should  embrace  it,
>>*unless*  what  really  interests them is not overpopulation, but
>>control for control's sake. If they won't let people be born *or* die
>>without permission, then they simply want total control over you -
>>or, in equivalent words - they want to *own* you.

>Even if my motives are to enslave the world and become dictator for
>life, that would be irrelevant to the philosophical and scientific
>issues we have been discussing.

Again, I was not addressing you (though I am always willing to argue
with  you).  You could not be the hypothetical *they* in the *If*
clause - because you had *not* rejected the "modest proposal".  I
was  speaking  of the internal logic of the position of a Malthu-
sian who *would* reject it.

Now, in the real world, do I  mean  that  some  people really
want  to control and own everyone? First of all, I mean not indi-
viduals but a class - the mandarin class. Secondly,  its  members
want  power  not  just  for  themselves  but for the whole class.
Thirdly, all kinds of rationalizations are present in  individual
minds to justify that aim.

Generally,  they  commit  what  Bertrand   Russell   called   the
Administrator's Fallacy.

It works like this: suppose you contemplate what a  good  society
would  be  like.  If  you unconsciously project yourself into the
role of someone who organizes and runs it -  quite  natural,  be-
cause  you  are  its  *author* - then you tend to favor societies
that are a pleasure to *run*, not those that are  a  pleasure  to
*live* in.

Orderly,  symmetrical  societies  are  preferred  -  neither   self-
controlling  ones that would make the administrator's job redun-
dant, nor uncontrollable ones that would make it impossible.

Most utopia authors commit this fallacy.
Social theorists are also subject to it .

>If you want to engage in a
>name-calling or motive-attribution contest, please do it somewhere

I do not. No name-calling without names! (Preferably none at all).
The only name in my note was Oded's, and I did not call him names...

		Jan Wasilewsky

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/20/86)

[radford@calgary.UUCP ]
>For those who don't believe Jan meant this as satire, I will point out
>that effective means of suicide have never been hard to come by, so this
>isn't much of a "proposal".

A "decriminalized but not legalized" case.

But I made my position clear many times. I like people; I welcome
more of them around; I think they make more living space for each
other than they take; but I also think birth and death  ought  to
be  private. I am not into social tinkering of either population-
reducing, or population-increasing kind.

The "proposal" is in the nature of a challenge to the other  side
of  the debate: if you want that, say I, then you ought to prefer
this.

Utilitarianism is not my basic approach: but I believe that, con-
sistently  followed,  it  leads to libertarian conclusions, as it
often did in the hands of Mill.

>I also note that the title of the posting,
>"A Modest Proposal", was first used by Jonathan Swift in advocating
>that Irish babies be eaten.

Exactly. That old essay is a staple of modern English-language
education.   I expected readers to recollect it.

To make it even clearer: I don't recommend or encourage suicide.
If I did, I would do it for the sake of the person involved - not
to  relieve  traffic  congestion (like that governor who said old
people have a duty to die). But even *that* is less  heinous  than
imposed birth control.

			Jan Wasilewsky

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/22/86)

>[Bob Hartman, quoted by Richard Carnes]
>>The premise is wrong: human population does not loom as large
>>vis-a-vis the rest of creation as some of its members believe. If
>>all the 5 billion of us were drowned in the Great Lakes, how much
>>would the water level rise? A fraction of an inch.

>This is true, but it's an improper measure.  It's not the combined
>volume of our bodies, but annual volume of food, fiber and fuel we
>consume that are the limiting factors, along with the capacity of the
>ecosystem to recycle our byproducts.

I was answering an assertion that, by multiplying, we are  crowd-
ing out "the rest of creation". The volume of our bodies *is* ap-
propriate to compare with the volume of other things in nature  -
which  includes the Great Lakes. The amount of stuff we *process*
is another measure; it can be compared to  the  amount  of  stuff
moving  about in nature. The answer would be the same - we are as
yet a (physically) minor effect in creation. We are not  crowding
out  the  Gulf  Stream or the monsoons, we have no effect on vol-
canoes and earthquakes - and all of *these*  are  merely  surface
phenomena on one planet.

As to the "capacity of the ecosystem to recycle our byproducts" -
we are increasingly recycling them ourselves.

But if an ecosystem cannot recycle something - then it *changes*.
So what? Coral reefs aren't recycled - they grow. Why should
humans deny humans what nature allows to polyps?

And if eventually we become a *major* factor in the evolution  of
species  - what is wrong with that? All air-breathing vertebrates
are apparently descended from one fish species.   If,  some  day,
most  of them are descended either from humans or from human-bred
animals - need we wring our hands in advance? Maybe the change is
for the better - whatever *that* means...

No one can predict ecological changes with any accuracy. If some-
one wants to disprove that, all they have to do is to establish
a record of accurate long-term predictions. Failing that,  acting
on  some phony predictions would be folly. All we can do is react
to the situation as it changes. To be able to do so, we need  not
(necessarily)  more untouched nature, but (certainly) more sci-
ence and technology, more energy, greater  information-processing
capacity, a greater surplus GNP.

		Jan Wasilewsky