[talk.politics.misc] Time magazine

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (09/16/86)

>1)I take it as a matter of principle to be *very* skeptical of
>  Time magazine.
>               tim sevener  whuxn!orb

I agree, and would like to ask a question of the group along
these lines.

My parents renew a subscription to Time for me every year.  (I
probably would not buy it myself.)  Every year they ask me if
that is ok, and if I would prefer another news magazine.

I always say no because I can't think of an alternative one.
Newsweek is a Time clone.  US News and World Report is a right
wing, financially oriented magazine.

I read Yoga Journal and Dragon, too, but I don't think that's what
they have in mind!

So what are my alternatives?  What do you all read, and what
would you recommend for this aging hippie?  (That her parents would
conceivably buy her, of course.  I don't think they'd shell out
for Playgirl. :-)
--

                                     Sue Brezden
                                     (HASA member)

         When you got nothin', you got nothin' to lose.
         You're invisible now, you got no secrets to conceal.
                                  -Bob Dylan
> probably would not buy it myself.)  Every year they ask me if
> that is ok, and if I would prefer another news magazine.
>
> I always say no because I can't think of an alternative one.
> Newsweek is a Time clone.  US News and World Report is a right
> wing, financially oriented magazine...

> So what are my alternatives?  What do you all read, and what
> would you recommend for this aging hippie? ...

Try The Economist, published in Britain, but (I think) readily available
throughout North America.

As an "aging hippie", you may not like its editorial content. I'm not
too thrilled with it myself at times. But we're talking *news* here,
right? Not opinion. In that respect, The Economist has it all over
Time, Newsweek, etc. Why, The Economist even seems to have heard that
there are countries like Malaysia, Chile, etc. off in the third world,
and that *things actually happen there*.

On the down side, it devotes a bit more space to Britain and to financial
matters than I'm interested in, but the good points outweigh this.

    Radford Neal

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (09/18/86)

> >1)I take it as a matter of principle to be *very* skeptical of
> >  Time magazine.
> >               tim sevener  whuxn!orb
>
> I agree, and would like to ask a question of the group along
> these lines.
>
> So what are my alternatives?  What do you all read, and what
> would you recommend for this aging hippie?  (That her parents would
> conceivably buy her, of course.  I don't think they'd shell out
> for Playgirl. :-)
> --
>
>                                      Sue Brezden

It depends upon what type of magazine you want: weekly, monthly,
bimonthly and what your primary interest in coverage is.
I have found The UTNE Reader to be one of the best - it is kind of
like a "Reader's Digest" of the Alternative Press and of events
and news which are generally ignored by the mainstream media.
The only bad thing about the UTNE Reader is it only comes out every
two months.  But it definitely distills the best of the Alternative
Press on everything from politics to art to music and culture in
general.  The other thing nice about the UTNE Reader is that in
every issue it reviews a segment of the alternative press in a
particular area: for example, books on the arms race, weekly
newsmagazines, magazines that deal with organic farming, and
every topic one would imagine of an unregenerate hippy.  They also
*always* provide the address for subscriptions to magazines they
have excerpted in an article.  So if you see a lot of articles
you like from a particular magazine, you know where to get a
subscription.

The Progressive is a good magazine which comes out monthly with
a primary stress on politics.  Sometimes the Progressive takes too
pessimistic a view, being scathingly critical of absolutely everything
for my own taste, but I am still glad to subscribe.

Mother Jones is a good magazine which covers different aspects of
culture and delights in iconoclasm and uncovering scandal.

For weekly news, In These Times, is a very good newspaper which
often does a very good job of covering international news ignored
by the mainstream media.  Their European correspondent, Diana Johnstone,
is top rate in my book.  Of course In These Times does not have the
bulk of a Time magazine or Newsweek because they simply don't have
that much money for a huge staff. But they give a more analytical
and broader perspective than you get from your local daily newspaper.
Which, it seems to me, is what you want from that type of journal if
you already subscribe to a daily newspaper.  To my mind Time simply
echoes what is covered by daily newspapers anyway, with their usual
biased slant, so what do you gain by that anyway?

For coverage of the nuclear arms race there is the monthly,
Nuclear Times, which was founded by a coalition of antinuclear
weapons groups.  One thing I have found interesting in Nuclear Times
is a new section devoted to "The Media and the Arms Race".  This
section has very good critiques of the biased mainstream press
coverage of nuclear weapons issues with facts to back up their
claims in terms of column inches or broadcast time actually devoted
to arms race issues and the type of bias inherent in it.
For example, they did an indepth study of TV news reporting on
the nuclear arms race and found it constituted some 1% of all
the network news, far less than such topics as terrorism or
Bruce Springsteen, and the usual trivia or ignorant hysteria that
passes for "news".  Of this miniscule percentage devoted to the
arms race, much of it in their survey included the idiotic reports
about the Geneva Summit, which primarily consisted of remarks about
Raisa Gorbachev's tastes in bourgeois clothes and the like.

The Nation is another good weekly tabloid which primarily covers
politics and is consistently liberal.  (unlike the New Republic which
has gone to the barbarians and the warmongers!!)

Overall, I think the UTNE Reader is the best: from that you can
pick magazines whose articles you consistently liked in the UTNE
Reader.
                   tim sevener   whuxn!orb

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (09/18/86)

> So what are my alternatives?         Sue Brezden
>                                      (HASA member)
---
I recommend the Economist (a British magazine).  It is probably
too conservative for you, but it has a more thorough and more
balanced news coverage than any other news magazine I have seen.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (09/18/86)

>> >1)I take it as a matter of principle to be *very* skeptical of
>> >  Time magazine.
>> >               tim sevener  whuxn!orb
>> I agree, and would like to ask a question of the group along
>> these lines.
>> So what are my alternatives?
>>                                      Sue Brezden
>It depends upon what type of magazine you want: weekly, monthly,
>bimonthly and what your primary interest in coverage is.
>..[info on several publications]
>Which, it seems to me, is what you want from that type of journal if
>you already subscribe to a daily newspaper.  To my mind Time simply
>echoes what is covered by daily newspapers anyway, with their usual
>biased slant, so what do you gain by that anyway?
>                   tim sevener   whuxn!orb

Thanks, Tim, for your good article and your help.  You are right,
of course, it does depend on what I am looking for.  I should have
included more information.

I take 2 daily newspapers, so I don't really care about the "facts"
in Time--the rehashing of the information.  Guess what I'm looking
for is information that my local papers may overlook, in depth
reports, and good old muckraking.  Will probably buy a copy of "Mother
Jones" first.

Thanks again.
--

asgard@well.UUCP (J. R. Stoner) (09/20/86)

In article <1256@whuxl.UUCP> orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:

>> >1)I take it as a matter of principle to be *very* skeptical of
>> >  Time magazine.
>> >               tim sevener  whuxn!orb

[...]

>I have found The UTNE Reader to be one of the best - it is kind of
>like a "Reader's Digest" of the Alternative Press and of events
>and news which are generally ignored by the mainstream media.
					     ^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe the "news" that is "ignored" are the unbalanced manifestos that usually
inhabits UTNE, Mother Jones et al.  By your reconing news magazines which do
not have the same extremist political axe to grind as you is not worthy of
being called a "news" magazine.  I suppose by "mainstream" you mean the 80
per cent or more of us who are not extremists, like you.

[...]

>Mother Jones is a good magazine which covers different aspects of
>culture and delights in iconoclasm and uncovering scandal.

This is suppposed to be balanced journalism?  It would seem you only
recommend magazines which agree with your preconceived biases.

>For weekly news, In These Times, is a very good newspaper which
>often does a very good job of covering international news ignored
							   ^^^^^^^
>by the mainstream media.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[...]

>To my mind Time simply
>echoes what is covered by daily newspapers anyway, with their usual
							 ^^^^^^^^^^^
>biased slant, so what do you gain by that anyway?
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^

The pot calling the kettle black.  I thought only the McCarthyites spread
around conspiricy theories, that are not backed up by attribution.

>For coverage of the nuclear arms race there is the monthly,
>Nuclear Times, which was founded by a coalition of antinuclear
>weapons groups.

And you seriously expect them to be unbiased?

>The Nation is another good weekly tabloid which primarily covers
>politics and is consistently liberal.  (unlike the New Republic which
>has gone to the barbarians and the warmongers!!)

Again with the conspiricy theories, eh?

--
From the manic ravings of J. R. (May the farce be with you) Stoner

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/23/86)

>[tan@ihlpg.UUCP ]
>> So what are my alternatives?         Sue Brezden
>---
>I recommend the Economist (a British magazine).  It is probably
>too conservative for you, but it has a more thorough and more
>balanced news coverage than any other news magazine I have seen.

On the whole, yes; and  its  analysis  helps,  too,  whether  one
agrees or not (I often don't - too "wet" for me).
Of U.S. dailies, the WSJ is the most objective I've seen, and its
presentation is time-saving.
"Commentary" is a good monthly magazine of opinion (with a Jewish
slant, but of general interest); it's right-of-center.
"The New Republic" is a very decent liberal weekly. Excellent
U.S. political news coverage and analysis.

All these may be too sedate for an "aging hippie". A balanced
"Mother Jones" - "National Review" pair might work.

		Jan Wasilewsky