[talk.politics.misc] Swinging fists

jin@hropus.UUCP (Jerry Natowitz) (09/21/86)

> What if it were the case that the production of, say, 65% of some class
> of material involved either the kind of exploitation that you have named,
> or else the ``it was that or starve'' question?  Not knowing whether a
> given film was or was not made under these conditions, could you, in
> good conscience, view it?
>
> 	from Mole End			Mark Terribile
> 		(scrape .. dig )	mtx5b!mat
> 					(Please mail to mtx5b!mat, NOT mtx5a!
> 						mat, or to mtx5a!mtx5b!mat)
> 					(mtx5b!mole-end!mat will also reach me)
>     ,..      .,,       ,,,   ..,***_*.

I work for a living because the alternative would be to starve to death
(a very long process in my case, but an eventuality non-the-less).
I think way over 65% of my co-workers are in the same boat.  Does
this mean that we are exploited and that the government should attempt
to keep our products out of the marketplace?

What did you say?  We wouldn't starve if we weren't working.  That's
right, minimum wage at McFast-food or welfare.

I don't see your logic at all.
--
Jerry Natowitz (HASA - A division)
Bell Labs HR 2A-214

Isn't it interesting how the beautiful little red flower in the forest
becomes so ugly when you discover it's a candy wrapper.

jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) (09/24/86)

In article <1567@mtx5a.UUCP> mat@mtx5a.UUCP (m.terribile) writes:
> > "Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."
> > 			-- generally attributed to Will Rogers
> >
> > 			-- johnmill
>
> I'd like to point out that if I have a heart condition, your right to swing
> your fist may well end a good deal further away than that; and if you don't
> have good evidence that I don't suffer from a heart condition, you'd better
> be prepared to expect that I do, or you might find out in a way that would
> probably leave you rather sorry.

Ah, but if I swing my fists in alone in my own home, then there's no
problem.  Furthermore, if you have such a heart condition, then you
are more an exception than a rule and would have to avoid quite a few
situations which would not affect 'normal' people, and hence would
surely not be ceased because of your particular condition.
--
				Joseph Arceneaux
				Lafayette, LA

			(ut-sally!usl!jla, jla%usl.CSNET)