[talk.politics.misc] SWAPO, RSA, Angola

oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) (09/21/86)

>The prospect of a Soviet client next door was certainly a factor,
	[why SA attacked Angola, possibly with US backing,
	when it became clear MPLA was going to win]
>but another one (and the reason for continuing cross-border raids by
>the South Africans), is the SWAPO bases in Angola.  With the MPLA in
>power, SWAPO would have (and indeed got) a free hand and stepped up
>their terrorist/guerrilla activities across the border.
>
>The official South African position is that they don't have a fight
>with Angola, only with SWAPO.			[Riel Smit]
		    ------------------------------
    What Meneer Smit does note mention is that South Africa has no le-
gal  presence  in Namibia (=  Southwest Africa, home  of SWAPO).   RSA
(then USA, Union of South Africa) took it from the defeated Germans in
1919.  It may have had a  fig-leaf of  trusteeship  under  a League of
Nations  mandate, but that was null  and void after   WWII, since  the
fig-leaf issuer was dead.  Its  continuing occupation  of that country
is on a moral par with the USSR's continuing occupation of  the Baltic
states, compounded by RSA's policy of enslaving black hominids.
    South Africa will never give  up Namibia  peacefully - there's ex-
ploitable mineral wealth there.   Also, independent niggers in Namibia
might support their brothers in RSA - can't have that.  (Note that I'm
not arguing with Mr. Smit, though I would cheerfully  question whether
RSA merely intended to forestall support for SWAPO - my  guess is that
they wanted Lebensroom and more slaves.  Nice country.)

    Reagan likes his military so much, why doesn't he use  it to  free
Namibia from RSA's ongoing rape?  It would be good training, a serious
test of force projection against  a  tough and determined enemy, would
get him off the hook on the sanctions issue, and wouldn't be perceived
as an attack on RSA since that's  a  separate  country (so the f***ing
Helmses and Falwells wouldn't have a  clear-cut beef.)  He'd  win  the
admiration of our  friends (and fear of our  enemies, who'd count  him
nutty enough for any  adventure - this  includes the Sandinistas,) and
since he isn't  running for  re-election, he won't  pay the  political
cost of our casualties.  If he wants to do Bush and the Republicans  a
favor, he should have the job DONE by election  day 1988, (no  pissing
around - go out there and get to war) so they'd have a victory to crow
about.  Just as only Begin and not the  labor gummint  in Israel could
sign a pact with Egypt, and only Nixon the flaming  anti-communist and
no Democratic predecessor or successor could get in bed  with Mao with
a chance of political survival, so only Reagan  could survive striking
such a powerful blow for human freedom.   Of course, he'd  have to win
the war in 90 days, or the War Powers act would stop him.  We all know
how Congress is too cowardly to do the right thing.
    Will  he do it?  Write  the white house now and  suggest it.  It's
never too late for a good non-nuclear war.

    (Watch, I'll bet Sevener will complain I'm a war-monger.  what I'm
really curious about is whether Riel Smit will blast  me, and show his
true colors.)
--
Oded A. Feingold   MIT AI Lab  545 Tech Square  Cambridge, Mass. 02139
{allegra|ihnp4!mit-eddie}!mit-vax!oaf  OAF@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU  617-253-8598

gdvsmit@watrose.UUCP (Riel Smit) (09/26/86)

In article <746@mit-vax.UUCP> oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) writes:
>  ... South Africa has no legal  presence  in Namibia ...
>  ... Its  continuing occupation  of that country
>is on a moral par with the USSR's continuing occupation of  the Baltic
>states
I would have compared it more with the "continuing occupation" of the
Northern Marianas by the USA, but that might be stretching it a bit.
However, you are of course free to your opinion.

>    South Africa will never give  up Namibia  peacefully
Don't bet on it - I think you will be pleasantly surprised in the not too
distant future.

As for the rest of your lucubration - at least it is a, dare I say fresh,
approach to finding a solution to the Namibian question.  I can see at
least one problem though:
>                                          Of course, he'd  have to win
>the war in 90 days, or the War Powers act would stop him.
The British had similar ideas at the turn of the century ...  Or do you
think Reagan should "test" one of his nuclear warheads?