[talk.politics.misc] When is a Job Not Employment?

David Olson writes:

>>But to say the government provides no jobs is absolutely ridiculous!

>I never said it doesn't provide jobs; just that they must come at the
>expense of other jobs.  Do you think they are free?  Dammit Tim, where
>the hell do you think wealth/jobs come from?  Do you think they fall out
>of the sky?

Well, this is strange way of talking.  If you look at this purely from the
cash flow point of view, there's no difference between a government job and
a supposedly private one.  Moreover, the "cost a job" way of looking at
things works to some extent in private industry too.

THis simply isn't a good way of looking at employment.  The Feds employ air
traffic controllers.  Can anyone deny that they help to facilitate the
making of wealth?

C. Wingate

elg@usl.UUCP (Eric Lee Green) (09/17/86)

In article <3384@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP writes:
>David Olson writes:
>
>>>But to say the government provides no jobs is absolutely ridiculous!
>
>Well, this is strange way of talking.  If you look at this purely from the
>cash flow point of view, there's no difference between a government job and
>a supposedly private one.
>
>THis simply isn't a good way of looking at employment.  The Feds employ air
>traffic controllers.  Can anyone deny that they help to facilitate the
>making of wealth?

Wealth is produced by factories and farms, not by people sitting
behind desks. Their job is the management and redistribution of
wealth, not the production of wealth. As such, they are useful. But if
we start having more people shuffling papers behind government (and
industry) desks than there are producing wealth for the economy, the
U.S. shall truly become a third-world nation.

--

      Eric Green {akgua,ut-sally}!usl!elg
        (Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509)

  -- Tengo lo mismo que doy y solo sirve al presente.

nrh@inmet.UUCP (09/18/86)

>/* Written  8:44 am  Sep 12, 1986 by mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP in inmet:talk.pol.misc */
>/* ---------- "When is a Job Not Employment?" ---------- */
>David Olson writes:
>
>>>But to say the government provides no jobs is absolutely ridiculous!
>
>>I never said it doesn't provide jobs; just that they must come at the
>>expense of other jobs.  Do you think they are free?  Dammit Tim, where
>>the hell do you think wealth/jobs come from?  Do you think they fall out
>>of the sky?
>
>Well, this is strange way of talking.  If you look at this purely from the
>cash flow point of view, there's no difference between a government job and
>a supposedly private one.  Moreover, the "cost a job" way of looking at
>things works to some extent in private industry too.
>
>THis simply isn't a good way of looking at employment.  The Feds employ air
>traffic controllers.  Can anyone deny that they help to facilitate the
>making of wealth?
>
>C. Wingate
>/* End of text from inmet:talk.pol.misc */

Hey!  The feds employ air traffic controllers because they have a state
supported monopoly on this stuff.  No feds -- and you STILL get air
traffic controllers, and THEY still add to wealth.  The difference
between a government job and a private one is this: nobody had to
threaten anybody with jail to divert the funds for the private job.  Or
to put it in a more bald fashion yet: the private job struck the
employer as worthwhile, and the public one struck somebody as
politically desirable.

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (09/20/86)

In article <925@usl.UUCP> elg@usl.UUCP (Eric Lee Green) writes:
> . . .
> Wealth is produced by factories and farms, not by people sitting
> behind desks. Their job is the management and redistribution of
> wealth, not the production of wealth. As such, they are useful. But if
> we start having more people shuffling papers behind government (and
> industry) desks than there are producing wealth for the economy, the
> U.S. shall truly become a third-world nation.

The concept that only tangible commodities constitute wealth is
not useful. There's a lot of paper-shuffling going on behind desks,
but there's also a lot of contribution to wealth -- research and
development on production techniques, technologies increasing productivity
of labor, etc., not to mention non-tangible commodities --
information, the arts, and so forth. I agree that the ratio of
paper-pushers to producers is presently unfortunate, but Mr. Green
unfairly represents mental vs. physical labor.

Michael C. Berch
ARPA: mcb@lll-tis-b.ARPA
UUCP: {ihnp4,dual,sun}!lll-lcc!styx!mcb

melissa@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Melissa Silvestre) (09/24/86)

In article <3384@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP writes:

>THis simply isn't a good way of looking at employment.  The Feds employ air
>traffic controllers.  Can anyone deny that they help to facilitate the
>making of wealth?

I think you missed the original point. The Feds "make" wealth only in the
sense that the "steal" the wealthmaking tools from the private sector.

The point, which I think still stands, is that the Fed doesn't make
any wealth that would not have been made by the private sector anyway.
So it doesn't ADD anything, merely moves it around (and removes in most
cases due to the added expenditures necessary for doing that moving -
eg. beaurocracy).

For example, the Fed pays those traffic controllers with money it
"stole" via taxes from the private sector. The private sector, had it
been allowed to keep that money, would have generated the same number
of jobs with it (and if the need (read: demand) is there, maybe even the
same jobs).  This will of course bring us back to the same argument
of will the private sector meet all the needs of society that govt
currently does (in the way of services - we're talking jobs here, not
welfare).

--
Melissa Silvestre (melissa@athena.mit.edu)

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Thomas J Keller) (09/26/86)

In article <1194@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU>, melissa@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Melissa Silvestre) writes:
> In article <3384@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP writes:
> >
> >THis simply isn't a good way of looking at employment.  The Feds employ air
> >traffic controllers.  Can anyone deny that they help to facilitate the
> >making of wealth?
>
> I think you missed the original point. The Feds "make" wealth only in the
> sense that the "steal" the wealthmaking tools from the private sector.
>
> [paragraph of typical 'libertarian' they're stealing from us crap deleted]
>
> For example, the Fed pays those traffic controllers with money it
> "stole" via taxes from the private sector. The private sector, had it
> been allowed to keep that money, would have generated the same number
> of jobs with it (and if the need (read: demand) is there, maybe even the
> same jobs)

   Oh?  What evidence can you cite to support this view?  In point of fact,
   air traffic controllers, food and drug inspectors, etc., etc., were *NOT*
   being hired by private businesses, who were benefitting through reduced
   costs, even though they were supplying dangerous services and tainted
   food to the consumer.  Attempts to encourage the private sector to
   voluntarily police themselves failed miserably throughout the late 1800s
   and early 1900s.  The government was finally forced to implement the
   current bureaucracies in order to protect the public from dishonest and
   opportunistic business people.

   Here we have another case of the 'libertarians' carefully ignoring the
   facts of history which led up to the current system, in order to argue
   that their theoretical utopia is better.  The dishonesty here is that
   they continue to argue the point as if everything they say is an obvious
   and foregone conclusion, and thet the facts clearly support their views.
   The problem is that they have *NO* facts.

> This will of course bring us back to the same argument
> of will the private sector meet all the needs of society that govt
> currently does (in the way of services - we're talking jobs here, not
> welfare).

   There is *NO* reason to believe that the private sector can or will do so,
   Ms. Silvestre.  They never have in the past, and they aren't bloody
   likely to in the future.

   You 'libertarians' wish to change the way things are done in a drastic
   and potentially dangerous fashion.  It is upon you to provide not merely
   adequate evidence, but rather *OVERWHELMING* evidence that your system can
   and will meet the needs of society.  So far, no 'libertarian' I have seen,
   heard or read has offered me anything but supposition, and that based on
   an incomplete and naieve grasp of human history and social behaviour.

   I repeat my view:  'libertarian' is a euphemism for 'self-centered, self-
   satisfied, self-serving, inconsiderate, greedy lout."

--

Disclaimer:  Disclaimer?  DISCLAIMER!? I don't need no stinking DISCLAIMER!!!

tom keller					"She's alive, ALIVE!"
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

melissa@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Melissa Silvestre) (09/27/86)

In article <1035@gilbbs.UUCP> mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Thomas J Keller) writes:
>In article <1194@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU>, (Melissa Silvestre) writes:
>> In article <3384@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP writes:
>> >
>> For example, the Fed pays those traffic controllers with money it
>> "stole" via taxes from the private sector. The private sector, had it
>> been allowed to keep that money, would have generated the same number
>> of jobs with it (and if the need (read: demand) is there, maybe even the
>> same jobs)
>
>   Oh?  What evidence can you cite to support this view?  In point of fact,
>   air traffic controllers, food and drug inspectors, etc., etc., were *NOT*
>   being hired by private businesses, who were benefitting through reduced
>   costs, even though they were supplying dangerous services and tainted
>   food to the consumer.

You missed the point of my parenthetical. If they weren't hired,
then they weren't needed, or at least not needed enough for
consumers to be willing to pay for them, which is the
same thing when you come right down to it. The consumers through their
choice of consumption indicated that they were willing to take their
chances. Anyway, this is off the subject of job-creation.

>   Here we have another case of the 'libertarians' carefully ignoring the
>   facts of history which led up to the current system, in order to argue
>   that their theoretical utopia is better.  The dishonesty here is that
>   they continue to argue the point as if everything they say is an obvious
>   and foregone conclusion, and thet the facts clearly support their views.
>   The problem is that they have *NO* facts.

No the problem is that you insist on defining key concepts like "demand"
by arbitrary rules (like what YOU think should be provided) rather
than accepting that the only TRUE demand is the "put your money
where your mouth is" kind. Anything else is a load of useless talk
that won't help an economy run smoothly.

>   You 'libertarians' wish to change the way things are done in a drastic
>   and potentially dangerous fashion.  It is upon you to provide not merely
>   adequate evidence, but rather *OVERWHELMING* evidence that your system can
>   and will meet the needs of society.

We are far more radical than that! We don't wish to "meet the needs
of society". We wish to redefine how those needs are judged so that it's
economically impossible NOT to meet those needs.

Of course, such redefinitions are based on a completely different idea
of what it means to be a responsible adult than proponents of the
current paternalistic system have. And at this point, this discussion
should probably move to talk.politics.theory.

>   I repeat my view:  'libertarian' is a euphemism for 'self-centered, self-
>   satisfied, self-serving, inconsiderate, greedy lout."

Libertarian is a maltheism for "a responsible adult who wishes to make
others responsible adults as well."

I don't suppose you would care to define "lout" without using any of
the above adjectives you already used, would you?

Some libertarians are undoubtably "self-centered...louts", but then
again, some liberals are hypocritical power-seeking louts who use
the poor downtrodden to gain wealth and acclaim.  But I'll give a liberal
the benefit of the doubt until I know him better. You, and UN-self-centered,
UN-self-serving, considerate UN-greedy non-lout should be able to
manage to do the same.