[talk.politics.misc] Credibility Problem

sc@frog.UUCP (STella Calvert) (10/03/86)

In article <901@nbires.UUCP> nose@nbires.UUCP (Steve Dunn) writes:
>I agree with the notion that there should be drug education so that people
>are informed about the very real dangers of drugs. For drug education to
>work it must be percieved by the target audience as containing honestly
>presented factual information.

Right ON!  Remember _Reefer Madness_?  Didn't really stop people from
lighting up that first number, did it?

If, about fifteen years ago, the government had recognized that
marijuana was _more_ popular than alcohol among a significant fraction
of the society, and the response had been to legalize the weed, the
government would now have the credibility to say "Freebasing can kill
you" and be believed.  What we have is a credibility problem, not a
drug problem.

>            -Steve "Piss bottles for God and Country" Dunn

		STella "Hell, no, I won't flow" Calvert

Guest Account: {cybvax0!decvax}!frog!sc
HASA Affiliation: S Division