[talk.politics.misc] Luther and Antisemitism

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (10/05/86)

In article <1226@bunker.UUCP> rha@bunker.UUCP (Robert H. Averack) writes:

>In article <755@ihlpf.UUCP> cher@ihlpf.UUCP (Mike Cherepov) writes:

>>Luther was an incredible antisemite
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Wow!  Are you sure about what you said about Martin Luther?  If so, please
>follow-up with some evidence.  As a Jew married to a Methodist, I see this
>assertion as being quite inflammatory.  However, if you can substantiate
>this, Mike, please do so.

     Luther wrote a few virulently antisemitic tracts, a fact which the
Nazis later found convenient to exploit. He went through much the same
process as Mohammmad, as I recall -- he first wanted the Jews to join
his team, and them became incensed when they declined. I didn't look
any references up, but Mike's assertion is well known.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
ucbvax!weyl!gsmith                The Josh McDowell of the Net