[talk.politics.misc] A Pleasant Precedent

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/10/86)

Zimbabwe's leader Robert Mugabe, speaking at the non-aligned
meeting in Harare, denounced the Libyan raid and the US support
for the Angolan insurgents as acts of "international bullyism".
In a very short while, he learned the happy news: the USA stopped
bullying his country with any further foreign aid.

People often ask why there's so much anti-American sentiment
abroad. Why, it's because this kind of normal and sane response
has been so rare on the part of the State Department.

But is this the way to make us loved? Yes, it is: in many places,
people know about the USA mostly what the national  leaders,  and
controlled  media, tell them. If the leaders get the incentive
not to vilify the US, that makes a difference.

Foreign dictators sure  have  the  right  of  free  anti-American
speech  -  but  not  paid for by the American taxpayer!

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (09/11/86)

In article <7802361@inmet> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:
> Zimbabwe's leader Robert Mugabe, speaking at the non-aligned
> meeting in Harare, denounced the Libyan raid and the US support
> for the Angolan insurgents as acts of "international bullyism".

Which they are.

> In a very short while, he learned the happy news: the USA stopped
> bullying his country with any further foreign aid.

Golly, does that change the nature of the Libyan raid and the support
for the Angolan insurgents?

> People often ask why there's so much anti-American sentiment
> abroad. Why, it's because this kind of normal and sane response
> has been so rare on the part of the State Department.

"Normal and sane", huh?  I suppose that next we get to watch you
whine when the Soviets or Chinese start providing them with foreign aid.

> But is this the way to make us loved? Yes, it is: in many places,
> people know about the USA mostly what the national  leaders,  and
> controlled  media, tell them. If the leaders get the incentive
> not to vilify the US, that makes a difference.

That's right!  We should be economically pulling the strings of their
media.  Obviously we should ensure only good propaganda about ourselves.  :-(

> Foreign dictators sure  have  the  right  of  free  anti-American
> speech  -  but  not  paid for by the American taxpayer!

Mugabe is not a dictator.  However, by those same standards, any backbone
site could stop transmitting your articles.  Perhaps we should persuade
some to take that normal and sane response.  :-(
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

brkirby@watdragon.UUCP (Bruce Kirby) (09/12/86)

In article <7802361@inmet> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:

>Zimbabwe's leader Robert Mugabe, speaking at the non-aligned
>meeting in Harare, denounced the Libyan raid and the US support
>for the Angolan insurgents as acts of "international bullyism".
>In a very short while, he learned the happy news: the USA stopped
>bullying his country with any further foreign aid.
>
>People often ask why there's so much anti-American sentiment
>abroad. Why, it's because this kind of normal and sane response
>has been so rare on the part of the State Department.
>
>But is this the way to make us loved? Yes, it is: in many places,
>people know about the USA mostly what the national  leaders,  and
>controlled  media, tell them. If the leaders get the incentive
>not to vilify the US, that makes a difference.
>
>Foreign dictators sure  have  the  right  of  free  anti-American
>speech  -  but  not  paid for by the American taxpayer!

This is a joke, isn't it.  Nobody really believes that the US is going to
be "loved" around the world because they are only willing to give aid to
pro-american dictators, such as Pinochet and Marcos.  The idea of basing
foreign aid on politics rather than need is the perfect way to remove the
US's reputation as an "international bully".

I compliment you on a fine piece of satire...

											Bruce Kirby
-----------------------
	Of all the stupid things I could have thought, this was the worst.
			-- Joe Jackson "Hometown"
-----------------------
CSNET:	brkirby@waterloo.csnet
UUCP: 	{decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra}!watmath!watdragon!brkirby

orb@whuts.UUCP (SEVENER) (09/12/86)

> Zimbabwe's leader Robert Mugabe, speaking at the non-aligned
> meeting in Harare, denounced the Libyan raid and the US support
> for the Angolan insurgents as acts of "international bullyism".
> In a very short while, he learned the happy news: the USA stopped
> bullying his country with any further foreign aid.
>
> People often ask why there's so much anti-American sentiment
> abroad. Why, it's because this kind of normal and sane response
> has been so rare on the part of the State Department.
>
> But is this the way to make us loved? Yes, it is: in many places,
> people know about the USA mostly what the national  leaders,  and
> controlled  media, tell them. If the leaders get the incentive
> not to vilify the US, that makes a difference.
>
> Foreign dictators sure  have  the  right  of  free  anti-American
> speech  -  but  not  paid for by the American taxpayer!

1)Robert Mugabe was *elected* Prime Minister of Zimbabwe in Parliamentary
  elections which also reinstated Ian Smith, (still racist after all
  these years!), former Prime Minister of white-ruled Rhodesia, to
  that Parliament

2)This is *exactly* the kind of action which makes the US hated
  throughout the world.  Reagan considered it an insult to point out
  that, while the US was celebrating the gift of the Statue of Liberty
  from the French people, who had also helped the US gain its freedom
  in the American Revolution, that the US was continuing its support
  for a racist repressive government in South Africa, which was
  conducting war against its neighbors.
  Not only are Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Angola, and the other border
  countries not supposed to retaliate South African attacks on
  their territory, they are not even allowed to *speak about it*!!
  What an arrogant, chauvinistic attitude!

3)According to Jan's attitude the acceptance of any sort of aid
  precludes the rights to any opinions or free speech.  By this logic
  if you receive unemployment benefits, social security benefits,
  student financial aid, aid to the handicapped, corporate subsidies,
  you have therefore negated your right to voice your opinion.
  I often wonder if Jan has truly learned the lessons of American
  democracy and freedom or if he is still imbued with the authoritarian
  attitudes of Communist systems.  He has simply transferred his
  authoritarianism and desire to repress free speech to the other
  side.  The methods of repression are the same.

4)According to NPR, the American cutoff of aid to Zimbabwe (which
  incidentally has one of the most market-oriented economies in
  Africa and consequently the best agricultural production in Africa)
  was universally condemned by the nonaligned nations and may actually,
  paradoxically, lead to an *increase* in support for Zimbabwe from
  other nonaligned states in terms of economic aid.

5)Hypocrisy abounds!! Reagan cuts off aid to Zimbabwe for stating the
  opinion that South Africa has no business raiding and bombing its
  neighbors, but Pinochet murders the editor of a leading newspaper
  and the aid keeps flowing!
  Such consistency of principle!!
                    tim sevener  whuxn!orb

rjn@duke.UUCP (R. James Nusbaum) (09/14/86)

In article <7802361@inmet> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:

>Zimbabwe's leader Robert Mugabe, speaking at the non-aligned
>meeting in Harare, denounced the Libyan raid and the US support
>for the Angolan insurgents as acts of "international bullyism".
>In a very short while, he learned the happy news: the USA stopped
>bullying his country with any further foreign aid.
>
>People often ask why there's so much anti-American sentiment
>abroad. Why, it's because this kind of normal and sane response
>has been so rare on the part of the State Department.
>
>But is this the way to make us loved? Yes, it is: in many places,
>people know about the USA mostly what the national  leaders,  and
>controlled  media, tell them. If the leaders get the incentive
>not to vilify the US, that makes a difference.
>
>Foreign dictators sure  have  the  right  of  free  anti-American
>speech  -  but  not  paid for by the American taxpayer!

I held off replying to the dozen or so other useless pieces
submitted by janw@inmet (why the heck didn't you put them all in
one article so that those of us who disagree with you didn't
have to go through them all), but this one takes the cake.  Now
I'm not saying that Mugabe is a saint, he has certainly let down
the ideals of his revolution, but he's no worse then Pinochet, Somoza,
the Shah, Marcos or any of the other dictators which the U.S. supports
or supported.  The reason for so much anti-American sentiment is
our support of brutal leaders and our bullying of smaller and less
powerful countries.  Let's apply our policies evenly and stop aid to
any country which denies basic civil rights to its citizens.

Jim Nusbaum

--
R. James Nusbaum, Duke University Computer Science Department,
Durham NC 27706-2591. Phone (919)684-5110.

mahoney@bizet.dec.com (09/15/86)

---------------------Reply to mail dated 12-SEP-1986 13:16---------------------

To:        net.politics
Subject:   RE: A Pleasant Precedent

---------------------Reply to mail dated 12-SEP-1986 13:16---------------------

>2)This is *exactly* the kind of action which makes the US hated
>  throughout the world.  Reagan considered it an insult to point out
>  that, while the US was celebrating the gift of the Statue of Liberty
>  from the French people, who had also helped the US gain its freedom
>  in the American Revolution, that the US was continuing its support
>  for a racist repressive government in South Africa, which was
>  conducting war against its neighbors.
>  Not only are Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Angola, and the other border
>  countries not supposed to retaliate South African attacks on
>  their territory, they are not even allowed to *speak about it*!!
>  What an arrogant, chauvinistic attitude!

    I have to say I was more than I little bit upset about the timing of the
    attack myself.  It was during a dinner honoring the US.  As far as I am
    concerned that is not the right way to honor someone.  I am not sure
    if I agree with the cut off of aid but I can surely understand it.

>3)According to Jan's attitude the acceptance of any sort of aid
>  precludes the rights to any opinions or free speech.

    There is a question though.  If the US is so bad why take our money?
    One other question if Zimbabwe is non-aligned why do we never hear
    attacks upon the Soviet Union?  I have no problems with a country
    pointing out what is wrong with the US.  Constructive criticism is
    an important part of growth.  I have a problem though when only
    negative is broadcast.  If the US is so bad why is it that in the bad
    times the first country that is looked to for help is the US.  Why
    don't they call upon the Soviet Union?  I think calling for a balanced
    view is justifiable.  That is something much of the Third World does
    not do.  They praise or play down the bad things of the Soviet Union.
    The things that are wrong in the US are harped upon.  I think there
    should be some change.

>4)According to NPR, the American cutoff of aid to Zimbabwe (which
>  incidentally has one of the most market-oriented economies in
>  Africa and consequently the best agricultural production in Africa)
>  was universally condemned by the nonaligned nations and may actually,
>  paradoxically, lead to an *increase* in support for Zimbabwe from
>  other nonaligned states in terms of economic aid.

    This something that I will not believe until it happens.  Many of the
    African Nations that cut off ties with Israel did so, because the Arab
    Nations said, they would give them any aid they lost by the action.
    This did not happen that is why many of the nations are now restoring
    ties with Israel.  They hope to get  technology from Israel and
    get more aid from the US.

>5)Hypocrisy abounds!! Reagan cuts off aid to Zimbabwe for stating the
>  opinion that South Africa has no business raiding and bombing its
>  neighbors, but Pinochet murders the editor of a leading newspaper
>  and the aid keeps flowing!

   What aid does Pinochet get?  From what I have read Chile receives no aid
   from the US.  This is what has made it so difficult to put pressure on
   the government.  They are now considering using the World Bank against
   Pinochet as the only power they have.

>  Such consistency of principle!!
>                    tim sevener  whuxn!orb

    There are many problems with Reagan's policies I will agree.   I do not
    see a problem with consistency though.  If a government is pro-US it
    will get support.  If it is not Pro-US then there will be major problems
    with relations.

       Brian Mahoney

brkirby@watdragon.UUCP (Bruce Kirby) (09/18/86)

In article <5348@decwrl.DEC.COM> mahoney@bizet.dec.com writes:

>>3)According to Jan's attitude the acceptance of any sort of aid
>>  precludes the rights to any opinions or free speech.
>
>    There is a question though.  If the US is so bad why take our money?
>    One other question if Zimbabwe is non-aligned why do we never hear
>    attacks upon the Soviet Union?

	1) They take the aid from the US because they need it.
	2) They haven't attacked the Soviet Union because it doesn't support a
government that has bombed Zimbabwe.

>    There are many problems with Reagan's policies I will agree.   I do not
>    see a problem with consistency though.  If a government is pro-US it
>    will get support.  If it is not Pro-US then there will be major problems
>    with relations.

This is the problem that the US has in the world.  They give aid to
countries based on the opinions of their governments, not on whether aid is
needed.  In Nicaragua, the people suffer from shortages and terrorists
because the Sandinistas are not "Pro-US", even though they are much more
humane than Somoza.  Why?

											Bruce Kirby
-----------------------

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/19/86)

[mrh@cybvax0.UUCP ] [/* ---- "Re: A Pleasant Precedent" ---- */]
>> Zimbabwe's leader Robert Mugabe, speaking at the non-aligned
>> meeting in Harare, denounced the Libyan raid and the US support
>> for the Angolan insurgents as acts of "international bullyism".

>Which they are.

Neither Mugabe's assertion nor yours can make it so.  The  Libyan
raid was self-defense; help to the Angolan resistance is interna-
tional aid. Their country is occupied by Soviet proxies.

I wonder what makes helping Savimbi less respectable in your eyes
than helping Mugabe?

>> In a very short while, he learned the happy news: the USA stopped
>> bullying his country with any further foreign aid.

>Golly, does that change the nature of the Libyan raid and the support
>for the Angolan insurgents?

The strawman is down and out.

>> People often ask why there's so much anti-American sentiment
>> abroad. Why, it's because this kind of normal and sane response
>> has been so rare on the part of the State Department.

>"Normal and sane", huh?  I suppose that next we get to watch you
>whine when the Soviets or Chinese start providing them with foreign aid.

Why? Since he bites the feeding hand  ...  why  compete  for  the
privilege ?

>> But is this the way to make us loved? Yes, it is: in many places,
>> people know about the USA mostly what the national  leaders,  and
>> controlled  media, tell them. If the leaders get the incentive
>> not to vilify the US, that makes a difference.

>That's right!  We should be economically pulling the strings of their
>media.  Obviously we should ensure only good propaganda about ourselves.  :-(

We should try to. *Only* is right: no propaganda is best of all.
But subsidizing *hostile* propaganda is foolish.

>> Foreign dictators sure  have  the  right  of  free  anti-American
>> speech  -  but  not  paid for by the American taxpayer!

>Mugabe is not a dictator.

He was not initially, but he's close to it now.  He knows  a  lot
about  bullyism,  national and international: his people are busy
hunting down poltical opponents at home and  fighting  rebels  abroad.

>However, by those same standards, any backbone  site  could  stop
>transmitting  your  articles.

That would be  like  U.S.  satellites  stopping  transmission  of
Mugabe's  words  for  the press... I wouldn't approve of that. Be-
sides, *I* don't speak in any official capacity. Words of a  head
of state can even be a casus belli.

		Jan Wasilewsky

---
You call me unbeliever, cut-throat dog,
And spit upon my Jewish gaberdine,
And all for use of that which is mine own.
Well then, it now appears you need my help...

		The Merchant of Venice, Act I, Scene III

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/20/86)

[rjn@duke.UUCP ]

 [Mugabe's aid cut after he tongue-lashed the US; I approved]

>I held off replying to the dozen or so other useless pieces
>submitted by janw@inmet (why the heck didn't you put them all in
>one article so that those of us who disagree with you didn't
>have to go through them all)

So it is your policy not to read whatever  you  disagree  with...
This explains a lot in your article, but it does not mean all you
disagree with ought to be one big note!

>, but this one takes the cake. Now I'm not saying that Mugabe  is
>a  saint, he has certainly let down the ideals of his revolution,
>but he's no worse then Pinochet, Somoza, the Shah, Marcos or  any
>of the other dictators which the U.S. supports or supported.

U.S. never supported Pinochet. Are you arguing that, having
supported one dictator, we are now duty-bound to support another?
If not, what's wrong with cutting Mugabe's aid?

>The reason for so much anti-American sentiment is our support  of
>brutal  leaders  and  our  bullying  of smaller and less powerful
>countries.

Hackneyed hogwash! The USA is the Jelly Giant, the paper  tiger;
bashing  it is safe, hence all the cries of bully, bully. To test
the charge of bullying small countries, consider their UN  voting
records:  even  El  Salvador agrees with the U.S.  something like
20% of the time. So much for that myth.

As for dictators, no big nation is as fastidious as the  U.S.  in
choosing its allies - but you simply can't avoid some of them be-
ing dictatorships - this is the state of the world.
Using one dictator against another is often necessary.

The real fault is that U.S. doesn't reward its friends and punish
its enemies - so there's no incentive to speak well of it, so
it is a convenient scapegoat, like the Jews are for anti-Semites.

>Let's apply our policies evenly and stop aid to any country which
>denies basic civil rights to its citizens.

That would have lost WWII - no military aid for Stalin!

Foreign aid is not charity. It is, and must be, a tool of
foreign policy. Promoting civil rights is *part* of that.

		Jan Wasilewsky
---
Fair sir, you spit on me on Wednesday last -
You spurned me such a day - another time
You called me dog; and for these courtesies
I'll lend you thus much moneys  ?

	The Merchant of Venice, Act I, Scene III

janw@inmet.UUCP (09/24/86)

> :[brkirby@watdragon.UUCP ]
>> :[Brian Mahoney - apparently (so quoted)]
>>There are many problems with Reagan's policies I will agree. I do
>>not  see  a  problem  with consistency though. If a government is
>>pro-US it will get support. If it is not Pro-US then  there  will
>>be major problems with relations.

Well, they seem to be moving in that direction, but it is not
a consistent pattern.

E.g., there has been massive aid for Ethiopia, which is extremely
anti-U.S.  And  anti-U.S.  rhetoric  has  been  a staple of "non-
aligned" meetings, most of whose participants are  recipients  of
U.S.  aid. The Mugabe incident is an *innovation*.

>This is the problem that the US has in the world. They  give  aid
>to  countries  based on the opinions of their governments, not on
>whether aid is needed.

On the contrary, U.S.  aid  has  been  *less*  dependent  on  the
recipient's  "opinions"  (a  government's "opinions" are *policy*)
than that of other world powers. It is only *now*  becoming  more
realistic  -  and the "problem in the world" is old.  The new ap-
proach is likely to *alleviate* the problem, for  the  reasons  I
mentioned.

Besides, no  one  likes  a  "holier-than-thou"  attitude.  Honest
self-interest, combined with understanding for the  interests  of
others,  gets  one  more  respect.  "To each one according to his
need" wouldn't be a wise policy even for a world government,  and
the U.S. isn't one.

>In Nicaragua, the people suffer from shortages and terrorists
>because the Sandinistas are not "Pro-US", even though they are much more
>humane than Somoza.  Why?
>-----------------------
>	Of all the stupid things I could have thought, this was the worst.

Just about the worst...
Why? The people there are suffering because the  Sandinistas  are
abysmally *worse* than Somoza's corrupt but relatively mild rule.

The  shortages  are  government-created.

A forcible reorganization and regulation of the farmers made them
miserable,  and  production  plunged; regulated distribution made
shortages worse; and they have been used throughout as a tool  of
control.

Ten new political prisons have  been  added  by  the  "much  more
humane" Sandinistas to Somoza's *one*. Condidtions in prisons are
much worse.

Somoza repressed the Indians, too - but under Sandinistas,
this rose to genocidal proportions.

La Prensa - tolerated throughout the  Somozas  rule  -  has  been
gagged,  then  closed.  Foreign press is unavailable, too.

Universal surveillance through  Cuban-imported  block  committees
has become the way of life. It was unheard of under Somoza.

Universal, cradle-to-grave indoctrination has become the way of life.

Official "unions" have been organized, and free unions repressed.
The church (critical of Somoza and very popular) is now persecuted.
The whole Jewish community fled.

The country has been completely militarized - Somoza's army
was small. The hateful draft was imposed - often drafting
13-year-old kids. Police numbers have soared.

The army and much of the national life is under *foreign control*
now.  The Cubans and other "internationalists" are everywhere and
are everywhere hated. There was nothing like that under Somoza.

The list could be continued; anyway, Somoza's kleptocracy
was *paradise* compared to the present odious regime.

Blaming shortages on the resistance is a piece of  that  regime's
propaganda;  it  is  based on nothing; the shortages preceded the
rise of the resistance and contributed to it.

		Jan Wasilewsky

rjn@duke.UUCP (R. James Nusbaum) (10/05/86)

In article <117200089@inmet> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:

>[rjn@duke.UUCP ]
>
> [Mugabe's aid cut after he tongue-lashed the US; I approved]
>
>>I held off replying to the dozen or so other useless pieces
>>submitted by janw@inmet (why the heck didn't you put them all in
>>one article so that those of us who disagree with you didn't
>>have to go through them all)
>
>So it is your policy not to read whatever  you  disagree  with...
>This explains a lot in your article, but it does not mean all you
>disagree with ought to be one big note!

Actually I have come to look forward to your articles.  If it's from
you I'm almost positive it will be some piece of commie blasting
right wing propaganda (which you have every right to post to the net).

>>, but this one takes the cake. Now I'm not saying that Mugabe  is
>>a  saint, he has certainly let down the ideals of his revolution,
>>but he's no worse then Pinochet, Somoza, the Shah, Marcos or  any
>>of the other dictators which the U.S. supports or supported.
>
>U.S. never supported Pinochet. Are you arguing that, having
>supported one dictator, we are now duty-bound to support another?
>If not, what's wrong with cutting Mugabe's aid?

The US may not have officially supported Pinochet, but Jesse Helms
sure has, to the tune of providing him with secret information.  I
do not consider Mugabe in a league with any of those I mentioned.

>>The reason for so much anti-American sentiment is our support  of
>>brutal  leaders  and  our  bullying  of smaller and less powerful
>>countries.
>
>Hackneyed hogwash! The USA is the Jelly Giant, the paper  tiger;
>bashing  it is safe, hence all the cries of bully, bully. To test
>the charge of bullying small countries, consider their UN  voting
>records:  even  El  Salvador agrees with the U.S.  something like
>20% of the time. So much for that myth.

Bullying takes many forms.  Humanitarian aid should not be based on
politics.

>As for dictators, no big nation is as fastidious as the  U.S.  in
>choosing its allies - but you simply can't avoid some of them be-
>ing dictatorships - this is the state of the world.
>Using one dictator against another is often necessary.

But we're not just any 'big nation'.  We put ourselves forward as
the good guys.  We damage this image every time we support an unpopular
leader or hold back humanitarian aid because of politics.

>The real fault is that U.S. doesn't reward its friends and punish
>its enemies - so there's no incentive to speak well of it, so
>it is a convenient scapegoat, like the Jews are for anti-Semites.
>
>>Let's apply our policies evenly and stop aid to any country which
>>denies basic civil rights to its citizens.
>
>That would have lost WWII - no military aid for Stalin!

As far as losing WWII, who knows?  No one can say for certain so
that is not a very good argument.

>Foreign aid is not charity. It is, and must be, a tool of
>foreign policy. Promoting civil rights is *part* of that.
>
>		Jan Wasilewsky
>---

There is a difference between military aid and humanitarian aid.  I
certainly don't think we should give military aid to our enemies.  I
also don't think we should give military aid to anyone who does not
give its citizens basic human rights.  Humanitarian aid should be given
to anyone who needs it, no matter what.  Military aid should be a tool
of foreign policy, not humanitarian aid.  Please note that I realize
the problems of keeping humanitarian aid from being misused.

Jim Nusbaum

--

janw@inmet.UUCP (10/08/86)

[rjn@duke.UUCP ]
>Actually I have come to look forward to your articles.

Thanks.

>If it's from you I'm almost positive it will  be  some  piece  of
>commie blasting right wing propaganda (which you have every right
>to post to the net).

Commie blasting - yes... but that's  not  necessarily  right-wing.
Look  at it this way: I dislike monopolistic corporations - espe-
cially those that own whole countries and groups of  countries  -
these  are called Communist governments. I also dislike theocracy
- and Communist rule is one. I also don't like militarism -
and Communists turn nations into military machines. These are not
right-wing causes.

As for propaganda - I see a line dividing my opinionated postings
from  propaganda,  even  though it may be invisible to you. It is
that I never use an argument to convince others that is not  con-
vincing to myself.

>>U.S. never supported Pinochet. Are you arguing that, having
>>supported one dictator, we are now duty-bound to support another?
>>If not, what's wrong with cutting Mugabe's aid?

>The US may not have officially supported Pinochet, but Jesse Helms
>sure has, to the tune of providing him with secret information.

He did not act for the administration in this, but against it -
nor for any other branch of government.

>I do not consider Mugabe in a league with any of those I mentioned.

I'd say Marcos's rule was more democratic. But even if less, the
argument stands: having supported a tyrannical ruler X, are we
duty bound to support every ruler less tyrannical than X?

>>The USA is the Jelly Giant, the paper  tiger;
>>bashing  it is safe, hence all the cries of bully, bully. To test
>>the charge of bullying small countries, consider their UN  voting
>>records:  even  El  Salvador agrees with the U.S.  something like
>>20% of the time. So much for that myth.

>Bullying takes many forms.

And not bullying, only one form.  Consider  something  much  more
substantial than U.N.  votes: the oil prices that have been crip-
pling Western economies for a decade - a vital interest  if  any-
thing  is.  U.S. surely had the raw power to bully the Saudis and
the Shah into concessions - but this wasn't seriously considered.

Or consider the neighbors, Canada and Mexico - quite  defenseless
if  the  USA  was really a bully. The US and Cuba become enemies;
embargo is declared - do the neighbors feel constrained to follow
suit? On the contrary, Canada steps up its trade with Cuba, Mexi-
co becomes best friends with Castro - just to show these bullying
Yankees. Do they pay any price for the boldness?  Of course not.

It is simply amazing how non-bullying a superpower may be.

> Humanitarian aid should not be based on politics.

Then it should be private. Government is political.

>>As for dictators, no big nation is as fastidious as the  U.S.  in
>>choosing its allies - but you simply can't avoid some of them be-
>>ing dictatorships - this is the state of the world.
>>Using one dictator against another is often necessary.

>But we're not just any 'big nation'.  We put ourselves forward as
>the good guys.  We damage this image every time we support an unpopular
>leader or hold back humanitarian aid because of politics.

We are the good guys compared to the other guys. Saints don't be-
long  in  politics,  internal or international.  If you listen to
the Harare speakers, we aren't the good guys at all - we are cri-
ticized  harshly,  the Soviets not at all. So what image is there
to damage?

There is, however, an image to improve: that of  a  ready  scape-
goat. If trashing the U.S. carried a price, it would be much more
scarce, and the image would improve.

>>>Let's apply our policies evenly and stop aid to any country which
>>>denies basic civil rights to its citizens.
>>That would have lost WWII - no military aid for Stalin!

>As far as losing WWII, who knows?  No one can say for certain so
>that is not a very good argument.

I think it would - but if you concede it *might* - the argument
is still good.

>>Foreign aid is not charity. It is, and must be, a tool of
>>foreign policy. Promoting civil rights is *part* of that.

>There is a difference between military aid and humanitarian aid.

Agreed.

>I certainly don't think we should give military aid to our enemies.

That depends... against *worse* enemies we might.

>I also don't think we should give military aid to anyone who does not
>give its citizens basic human rights.

There's no clear connection - unless the arms are used to
suppress human rights. I would certainly agree we shouldn't
give them handcuffs and tear gas... As for arms - what if the
country is an aggression victim, and we are likely to be next?

Stalin's regime was as bad as Hitler's. I still think
military aid to it was justified - at least until 1943,
when the tide turned. And non-military aid had the same
goal - to help the USSR withstand the Wehrmacht.

There are also degrees in human rights suppression. South
Korea is not a democratic paradise - but people in it are
free enough to say that. North Korea is the most consummate
slave state in the world. Compared to it, the differences in
human rights between South Korea and Denmark are negligible.
I am definitely for military aid to South Korea.

>Humanitarian aid should be given to anyone who needs it, no matter what.

(1) There's not enough to go around.
(2) It is the people's money.  Don't  you  think  the  government
needs  the  people's  mandate  to  give  it  away?  (At least the
majority's - I am arguing  democracy  now,  not  libertarianism).
And if the mandate is: help some of the needy but keep *our* in-
terests in sight when selecting them -  don't  you  think  that's
legit?

>Military aid should be a tool of foreign policy, not humanitarian aid.

So don't call all non-military aid humanitarian... This  confuses
the  issue by blending two characteristics: the inventory and the
goal of the aid. Call it civil aid or something. If it's  permis-
sible  to  give  away napalm for political reasons, it's not less
but more permissible to give aspirin for the  same  reasons.  You
are  comparing this to aid with no strings attached.  But compare
it also with no aid.

I think all governmental aid should be a tool of national  policy
-  which is what the government is for. Purely humanitarian aid -
charity - ought to be private and go  to  private  people.   Only
private people can be charitable or generous  because  only  they
can  give  away  what  is  their own. Governments have nothing of
their own, they just supervise some of the people's resourses.

Yet there *is* a way we can, through government, help  the  needy
of  the  world so that the help won't be misused but will benefit
the giver and the receiver: relax immigration policy. As a  rule,
immigrants work hard and take jobs Americans shun; they earn lit-
tle by U.S. standards and compared to how they benefit the econo-
my;  but they earn much more than they did at home, anf they help
their relatives in the old country. All gain, no one loses.

		Jan Wasilewsky

rjn@duke.UUCP (R. James Nusbaum) (10/13/86)

In article <117200223@inmet> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:

>Commie blasting - yes... but that's  not  necessarily  right-wing.
>Look  at it this way: I dislike monopolistic corporations - espe-
>cially those that own whole countries and groups of  countries  -
>these  are called Communist governments. I also dislike theocracy
>- and Communist rule is one. I also don't like militarism -
>and Communists turn nations into military machines. These are not
>right-wing causes.

I strongly disagree with your generalizations concerning communist
governments.  I do agree that the above description applies to the
Soviet Union, but I would not apply it to China.  The problem with
people in your camp is there immediate condemnation of anything
communist.  All communist governments are not the same.  Every
government should be judged on how much support it has from those
it governs.

>>>The USA is the Jelly Giant, the paper  tiger;
>>>bashing  it is safe, hence all the cries of bully, bully. To test
>>>the charge of bullying small countries, consider their UN  voting
>>>records:  even  El  Salvador agrees with the U.S.  something like
>>>20% of the time. So much for that myth.
>
>>Bullying takes many forms.
>
>And not bullying, only one form.  Consider  something  much  more
>substantial than U.N.  votes: the oil prices that have been crip-
>pling Western economies for a decade - a vital interest  if  any-
>thing  is.  U.S. surely had the raw power to bully the Saudis and
>the Shah into concessions - but this wasn't seriously considered.
>
>Or consider the neighbors, Canada and Mexico - quite  defenseless
>if  the  USA  was really a bully. The US and Cuba become enemies;
>embargo is declared - do the neighbors feel constrained to follow
>suit? On the contrary, Canada steps up its trade with Cuba, Mexi-
>co becomes best friends with Castro - just to show these bullying
>Yankees. Do they pay any price for the boldness?  Of course not.
>
>It is simply amazing how non-bullying a superpower may be.

I define bullying as picking on a weaker country when we are sure of
absolutely no harm coming to ourselves.  Bullying is cowardice.  The
U.S. could not have forced the Saudis or the Shah without far reaching
consequences in the Middle East.  The same with Canada and Mexico.  On
the other hand we could and did bully Libya and Greneda, because the
administration knew it would suffer no real harm or face any real
consequences.  The administration doesn't have the guts to tackle
anything that may cause it to lose power.  The U.S. bases its whole
foreign policy on gaining and keeping world power.  You obviously agree
with this.  I do not.  The U.S. should base its foreign policy on
supporting what is right and good for all the people of the world.
I know this is pie-in-the-sky idealism to you, but I think it is possible.
The U.S. has a tradition of winning all its battles (excepting
Vietnam), but it is about time we realized that the Soviet Union and
communism are not going to go away and we can not destroy them and
keep the world intact.

>There is, however, an image to improve: that of  a  ready  scape-
>goat. If trashing the U.S. carried a price, it would be much more
>scarce, and the image would improve.

The problem here is that I consider the trashing justified in many
instances.  You sound like the people who are trying to keep the
'The Africans' series of PBS because it has scenes of people speaking
out against the U.S.  I want to hear the complaints of people in other
countries against the U.S., especially in Africa.  We don't withhold
welfare from people in the U.S. if they speak out against the government
and I think the same principle should apply to people who desperately
need aid.

>>I also don't think we should give military aid to anyone who does not
>>give its citizens basic human rights.

>There's no clear connection - unless the arms are used to
>suppress human rights. I would certainly agree we shouldn't
>give them handcuffs and tear gas... As for arms - what if the
>country is an aggression victim, and we are likely to be next?

Then we should put our own asses on the line.  We embarass and degrade
ourselves by letting some repressive government do our fighting
for us.

>>Humanitarian aid should be given to anyone who needs it, no matter what.
>
>(1) There's not enough to go around.
>(2) It is the people's money.  Don't  you  think  the  government
>needs  the  people's  mandate  to  give  it  away?  (At least the
>majority's - I am arguing  democracy  now,  not  libertarianism).
>And if the mandate is: help some of the needy but keep *our* in-
>terests in sight when selecting them -  don't  you  think  that's
>legit?

Certainly.  What I'm really arguing is that I think the current
administration is a bunch of twisted, power hungry little geeks
who should be locked up as soon as possible.  Unfortunately Ronnie
was able to blind the people with his actor's charisma and get
himself elected, thereby dragging his whole herd of kooks into
the capitol.

We have gone from a country that elects brilliant statesman and
legal experts as its leaders, to one that elects actors.  Unless
people straighten up and take a little more interest in the political
process, this country is in deep shit.

>Yet there *is* a way we can, through government, help  the  needy
>of  the  world so that the help won't be misused but will benefit
>the giver and the receiver: relax immigration policy. As a  rule,
>immigrants work hard and take jobs Americans shun; they earn lit-
>tle by U.S. standards and compared to how they benefit the econo-
>my;  but they earn much more than they did at home, anf they help
>their relatives in the old country. All gain, no one loses.
>
>		Jan Wasilewsky

I agree with this entirely.  Anyone who is not obviously dangerous
should be let into this country with little or no hassles.

Jim Nusbaum

--

slj@mtung.UUCP (S. Luke Jones) (10/14/86)

In article <8704@duke.duke.UUCP> rjn@duke.UUCP (R. James Nusbaum) writes:

>We have gone from a country that elects brilliant statesman and
>legal experts as its leaders, to one that elects actors.
>Jim Nusbaum

First I should point out that I agree with this statement; it
would do my heart good to hear that somewhere out there was a
politician of the calibre of Thomas Jefferson or, for that
matter, even Alexander Hamilton.

That said, I should point out that leadership is not necessarily
the same thing as statesmanship or legal expertise.  A president
can appoint most of the State Dept. and if she is a good LEADER,
then that will be enough.  The same goes for legal expertise:
neither Congresspersons nor the President draft legislation any
more -- their staffs do it for them under their leadership.

Practically speaking, by the way, it would be difficult to find
a single person who was a both brilliant statesman AND a legal
expert because the fields are too disjoint in this day and age.
A president who had been a brilliant ambassador might be rotten
at introducing domestic legislative initiatives, and vice versa.

Finally, speaking of actors:  if political activism is so much
to be distrusted in Ronald Reagan, why is it to be admired in
Jane Fonda or Paul Newman?
--
S. Luke Jones ...ihnp4!mtung!slj  (ATT-IS, Middletown NJ, USA)

"You should have bargained, Jabba.
That's the last mistake you'll ever make."