[talk.politics.misc] Animal testing for Cosmetic and Household Products

msb@dciem.UUCP (Mark Brader) (11/20/86)

Stefan M. Vorkoetter (smvorkoetter@watmum.UUCP) writes:
> P.S. Here in Ontario, Canada, we have a law that the shelters must give
>      unwanted animals to research when requested.  The Toronto Humane
>      Society is currently doing their best to raise money and BUY these
>      animals from other shelters that don't want to break this law.  The
>      THS then keeps them, in defiance of this law.

For the benefit of those who aren't in the range of Toronto newspapers...
the Toronto Humane Society was recently, um, taken over by a group of
animal rights activists.  I haven't been following the details, but the
most recent stage was a proxy-vote battle that ended with the Society's
board of directors reduced from 16 members to 5, and at least 4 of the 5
survivors having been founders of activist groups.

It appears likely that the activists wanted to change the course of the
Society from within in order to get their hands on its financial resources,
which include such things as inheritances and I think tax money also.

Since this has shifted from what-products-to-choose to the rights of
stray pets and other animals, I am adding talk.politics.misc to the
list of newsgroups, and deleting net.veg, misc.consumers, and soc.women
from the followup-to list.  Please confine further postings to their
proper places, where I won't see them.

Mark Brader