[talk.politics.misc] the trouble with universities

desj@brahms.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (03/01/87)

In article <4724@shemp.ucla-cs.UCLA.EDU> gunzler@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU (Mitch Gunzler) writes:
>   (Actually, the current deficit corresponds quite closely to foreign
>purchases of U.S. Treasury paper....  Everyone in the world has been
>buying our paper - because we've offered ridiculously high rates,
>approaching 20% on long term bills.)

   Mr. Gunzler doesn't let the facts get in the way of his arguments.
A quick look in yesterday's paper tells me that 30-year Treasury bonds
are yielding 7.51%.  Of all Treasury notes and bonds, the highest current
yield is May '09-'14, selling for 142.3 to yield 7.85%.
   But no doubt Mr. Gunzler doesn't have access to a newspaper, so he
couldn't be expected to know this.

   -- David desJardins