[talk.politics.misc] Stupidity about intelligence

eric@snark.UUCP (06/17/87)

netter I shall spare embarrassment by leaving unnamed sent me a flame by
e-mail. It unintentionally illustrates the exact points I moved this
to talk.politics to see explored. I will quote it in its entirety here.

>Perhaps you should stop to consider that the "data" you are basing your
>intelligence postings on is based on Cyril Burt's fraud.

I am well aware of Burt's fraud. You are making a completely unwarranted
assumption here. More recent studies (cited in _The_Mismeasure_Of_Man_)
have turned up the sorts of correlations I describe. Gould's attempt at
refutation *doesn't* challenge the recent data; it depends on a philosophical
criticism of factor analysis.

[don't go away yet, this will get interesting in 4 paragraphs or so]

>  I also doubt that anyone
>has a satisfactory definition of "intelligence" yet, let alone a method
>for testing it--your postings have cleverly ignored most of the controversy
>in this area as well.

You should learn to pay more attention to what you read. I specified that
the 'intelligence' I was describing was a statistical composite of the
results of standardized acuity tests. Yes, I skipped over the details.
This was not because of any reluctance to admit or debate the issues
involved, just because it's been a while since I read anything in the area.

>I suppose intellectual honesty is too much to expect from a USENET
>poster--but it would make an entertaining change.

I suppose a careful reading and reasoned reactions are much to expect from a
USENET reader--but it would make an entertaining change.

[here's where it gets interesting]

Really now. That was gratuitous of you. It looks as though you saw
'intelligence' and 'heritability' in the same paragraph and charged like
a bull at a red flag. Read my lips: I am not a neo-Nazi, nor an apologist for
Cyril Burt and his sorry elitist ilk. I *am* a fascinated collector of Damned
Things -- facts that the sciences (for which I have enormous respect)
cannot acknowledge for political or social reasons. Biology is full of them.

Here's another one (yes, this is a test of your mental flexibility). Do
you know that matings between Kalahari Bushmen and non-Bushmen are
generally infertile? And that the Bushmen have significant, grossly detectable
morphological differences from homo-sap-elsewhere including a region in
the gluteal muscles adapted like a camel's hump for storing water?

Can you say 'different species'?

There. I'll bet you're reacting to that as though I'd written 'inferior
species'. Sigh. That's why that fact is a Damned Thing. Some people never
learn...
--
      Eric S. Raymond
      UUCP:  {{seismo,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax,sdcrdcf!burdvax}!snark!eric

alin@sunybcs.UUCP (Alin Sangeap) (06/21/87)

In article <126@snark.UUCP> eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
.					I *am* a fascinated collector of Damned
.Things -- facts that the sciences (for which I have enormous respect)
.cannot acknowledge for political or social reasons. Biology is full of them.
.
When you present such a collection, you have to know a whole lot to defend it.
I have great respect for those who collect, and present, and can defend.

.Here's another one (). Do you know that matings between Kalahari
.Bushmen and non-Bushmen are generally infertile?
.
Most matings between humans are infertile.  It's because human females
don't go into heat, so when they mate they're mostly just fooling.

Also, Kalahari is a desert; the Bushmen probably can't afford to increase
their population without starving.  They must have developed some methods
to reduce their fertility, else they would have died out.  Your source,
did it test fertility for Bush-persons away from possible social and
chemical means to reduce fertility?  Or was it just casual experimentation
--
            Alin Sangeap              SUNY Buffalo Computer Science
CSNET:      alin@Buffalo.CSNET        BITNET:     alin@sunybcs.Bitnet

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/22/87)

> In article <126@snark.UUCP> eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
> .					I *am* a fascinated collector of Damned
> .Things -- facts that the sciences (for which I have enormous respect)
> .cannot acknowledge for political or social reasons. Biology is full of them.
> .
> When you present such a collection, you have to know a whole lot to defend it.
> I have great respect for those who collect, and present, and can defend.
>
> .Here's another one (). Do you know that matings between Kalahari
> .Bushmen and non-Bushmen are generally infertile?
> .
> Most matings between humans are infertile.  It's because human females
> don't go into heat, so when they mate they're mostly just fooling.

Everyone knows that; I doubt that's what the original poster meant.

I was so surprised by this claim, however, that I went home and dug
through the Encyclopedia Britannica to see if there was any mention of
this infertility.  I found nothing.  I did find something really
amazing.

The Bushmen and Hottentots are closely related -- together they form
the Capoid race.  A study of Hottentots (Bushmen not yet studied) found
24% had more, and 23% had fewer, than 46 chromosomes.  That's a total
of 47% have a non-standard number of chromosomes.  Can anyone see why
there might be a fertility problem?

>             Alin Sangeap              SUNY Buffalo Computer Science
> CSNET:      alin@Buffalo.CSNET        BITNET:     alin@sunybcs.Bitnet
> UUCP:       {bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!alin
> NSA:        please decode all secret cryptography ciphers; best of wishes, A.

My first reaction to the claim above about Damned Facts was, "Come on.
This sounds like a conspiracy."  But after reading the Britannica
article, I'm a little amazed that the presentation of biology, genetics,
and chromosomal abnormalities in high school biology doesn't mention
a little "detail" like the Hottentot peculiarity.

We learned that humans have 46 chromosomes.  We learned about chromosomal
abnormalities like Down's Syndrome, and Klinefelter's males.  But we
didn't learn about a population where HALF of the study group were not
46 chromosomes.

I'm beginning to wonder how much high school science classes are tailored
for political reasons.

Clayton E. Cramer

yarak@bnrmtv.UUCP (Dennis Yarak) (06/23/87)

In article <1651@kontron.UUCP>, cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:

* We learned that humans have 46 chromosomes.  We learned about chromosomal
* abnormalities like Down's Syndrome, and Klinefelter's males.  But we
* didn't learn about a population where HALF of the study group were not
* 46 chromosomes.

* I'm beginning to wonder how much high school science classes are tailored
* for political reasons.

* Clayton E. Cramer

While the last statement tantalizingly lets the individual imagination
run wild, and while I would be the last to dispute that high school texts
have been subject to severe content emasculation (mostly by the Texas
School Textbook Commission, or whatever its formal name is), I wonder
if Mr. Cramer might detail what "political reasons" he attributes to
this presumed deliberate witholding of information from him?

Dennis Yarak
{amdahl, hplabs}!bnrmtv!yarak

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/25/87)

> In article <1651@kontron.UUCP>, cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>
> * We learned that humans have 46 chromosomes.  We learned about chromosomal
> * abnormalities like Down's Syndrome, and Klinefelter's males.  But we
> * didn't learn about a population where HALF of the study group were not
> * 46 chromosomes.
>
> * I'm beginning to wonder how much high school science classes are tailored
> * for political reasons.
>
> * Clayton E. Cramer
>
> While the last statement tantalizingly lets the individual imagination
> run wild, and while I would be the last to dispute that high school texts
> have been subject to severe content emasculation (mostly by the Texas
> School Textbook Commission, or whatever its formal name is), I wonder
> if Mr. Cramer might detail what "political reasons" he attributes to
> this presumed deliberate witholding of information from him?
>
> Dennis Yarak

Racial difference doesn't mean racial inferiority -- but because studies
of racial difference have frequently been used by various jerks promoting
such attitudes, it seems as though the legitimate scientific study of
human populations has been marked "unclean" by the left.

If you want to argue that the population isn't smart enough to be taught
things the way they are without drawing the wrong conclusions, fine.
But don't tell me the population is then smart enough to have unlimited
governing authority.

And worst of all, pretending that racial difference doesn't exist
suggests that who are doing the pretending have at some level accepted
the idea of "racial difference == racial inferiority".

Clayton E. Cramer

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (06/27/87)

In article <3728@sunybcs.UUCP>, alin@sunybcs.UUCP (Alin Sangeap) writes:
> Most matings between humans are infertile.  It's because human females
> don't go into heat, so when they mate they're mostly just fooling.

Some sort of sexist remark seems almost required here, but since I'm
not a sexist (and wouldn't care to arouse the ire of the net's ferocious
feminists if I were) I'll let that perfect straight line slide right by...

> Also, Kalahari is a desert; the Bushmen probably can't afford to increase
> their population without starving.  They must have developed some methods
> to reduce their fertility, else they would have died out.  Your source,
> did it test fertility for Bush-persons away from possible social and
> chemical means to reduce fertility?

Several people have asked me for an exact reference on this. I am very sorry
I can't supply one. I recall reading the information; I even have exact visual
memories of a cross-section diagram of a Bushman's head pointing out the lower
density of cortical folding. The whole business startled and amazed me.

I believe it was one of my college anthro textbooks. It's not the
facts themselves that have been tabooed, just the clear implication that
there is more than one species of genus homo on earth.

The implication of my source was that the infertility was extraordinarily
high and due to biological incompatibilities, so much so as to make hybrids
unheard of or nearly so. This in itself doesn't establish speciation (there's
a classic example of similar stuff going on between populations at opposite
ends of the circumpolar range of a species of seagull) but together with the
morphological differences it makes the case pretty strong.

Of course, some biologists would take the easy way out: "So what's a 'species',
anyhow?". They have a point -- life is a continuum. But if we're going to
describe (say) wolves and dogs as different 'species' based on peoples'
more-or-less intuitive notion of mutually-infertile-populations-with-
gross-morphological-differences, it's time to write homo kalaharensis into
the taxonomies.

Personally, I'd like to see that shouted from the housetops -- it's time
for us as a species for us to deal with the idea that the self-awareness,
abstraction-handling and tool-using skills we're so proud of, and the
vaguer qualities we call 'humanity', aren't restricted to beings with
the DNA of a homo sap.

Whales, dolphins, chimpanzees, gorillas and even some species of
octopi and squid have demonstrated the ability to think, plan and handle
abstractions in a rather humanlike way. Whales and dolphins have native
languages of their own; chimps and gorillas can be taught language and
use it creatively, and there's some reason to believe that the cephalopods
do language-like things with chromatophore excitation patterns (though
no one has caught them communicating abstractions yet). Chimps and gorillas
make and use tools.

One of the spookier data I have on this is that one gorilla who'd been taught
language (Ameslan, I think), a female named Koko, expressed a primitive but
unmistakable notion of afterlife when discussing the recent death of her pet
kitten (I do have a source for this, but it was a 'new-age' magazine; you
may not care to trust it).