[net.sf-lovers] WIZARDS

@RUTGERS.ARPA:GOOD@ACC (04/23/85)

From: Greg Goodknight <GOOD@ACC>

I enjoyed WIZARDS. Bakshi is a good storyteller, and I remember being
thoroughly entertained. The animation was, of course, not up to what
Disney or even Warner Bros. used to crank out, but at the time of release
Bakshi was probably doing the best animation (measured in
quality/kilobucks/minute) of anyone in the business.

HOWEVER, NECRON-90 (PEACE) was a fairly blatant ripoff of a character
created by the late Vaughn Bode. Bode was probably best known
for a delightfully disgusting creature named "Cheech Wizard" that was
published regularly in the early '70s in the National Lampoon, until
Bode's unfortunate demise.

Bode's best work was being published in the underground comix
of that time. His most haunting character, Cobalt-60 (sound familiar
already ?), was a mutant humanoid who spent most of his time hunting
down and killing non-mutant humanoids, in an attempt to establish his
own kind as "normal" and to punish the humans for creating a radioactive
wasteland. Bakshi's NECRON-90 was almost identical in form to Cobalt-60,
right down to the beast they rode into battle. The only difference to me
was that NECRON-90 decided to stop and smell the roses, and Cobalt-60
would have blasted them with never a second thought.

It was plagarism all right, but Vaughn Bode was already dead, and I
suppose his heirs just didn't want to fight it (I never was aware of
any legal action). Stealing ideas from dead artists seems ghoulish to
me, and my personal respect for Bakshi dropped quite a bit.
(Insert here the usual disclaimer about sketchy memories of things
and people in past decades.)

			Greg Goodknight <good@ACC.ARPA>
			Hardware Bozo

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus"
------

chabot@miles.DEC (Bits is Bits) (04/23/85)

I agree with Mark Leeper: I didn't like WIZARDS either.  During the film, the
corners of my mouth started sinking, as did my stomach; scantily clad females
don't do a thing for me; all that footage that I thought was interesting in
Lord of the Rings I saw had been used before in WIZARDS; bad guys are Nazis--
I agree, Nazis're bad, but this just felt like a crutch because Bakshi couldn't
make up his own bad guys.  And then the easy-out, absolutely-wrong ending.

The worst part of it was, that so many of my friends thought this was a movie
to end all movies, and I thought (and still think) it was male-juvenile humor
at its trashiest (come on--what girl wants to see a movie in which there is only
one female character (-: okay, and no totally gnarly dudes :-) ).  Well, that's
just my opinion.

"Only the mockingbird sings at the edge of the woods."
L S Chabot
...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot
chabot%amber.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
DEC, LMO4/H4, 150 Locke Drive, Marlborough, MA  01752

gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (04/24/85)

> From: Greg Goodknight <GOOD@ACC>
>

> I enjoyed WIZARDS. Bakshi is a good storyteller, and I remember being
> thoroughly entertained. The animation was, of course, not up to what
> Disney or even Warner Bros. used to crank out, but at the time of release
> Bakshi was probably doing the best animation (measured in
> quality/kilobucks/minute) of anyone in the business.
>
> HOWEVER, NECRON-90 (PEACE) was a fairly blatant ripoff of a character
> created by the late Vaughn Bode. Bode was probably best known
> for a delightfully disgusting creature named "Cheech Wizard" that was
> published regularly in the early '70s in the National Lampoon, until
> Bode's unfortunate demise.
> It was plagarism all right, but Vaughn Bode was already dead, and I
> suppose his heirs just didn't want to fight it (I never was aware of
> any legal action). Stealing ideas from dead artists seems ghoulish to
> me, and my personal respect for Bakshi dropped quite a bit.
> (Insert here the usual disclaimer about sketchy memories of things
> and people in past decades.)
>
> 			Greg Goodknight <good@ACC.ARPA>
> 			Hardware Bozo
>
> "I think we're all Bozos on this bus"
> ------

Yes, I loved that movie as well.  And yes, it was a direct ripoff
of Vaughn's.  Not that they (Barbara, Vaughn's wife, and Mark, their
son...) don't need the money, but according to
Mark, it mainly get's annoying after hearing the 40th
person at a SF/comic convention say "Oh, yeah!  Those are characters
from wizards!!".

Since Mark's a friend of mine, I thought I'd say that his work is
being published in EPIC magazine (at this very moment, I think).

Gary

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (04/24/85)

In article <1728@topaz.ARPA> @RUTGERS.ARPA:GOOD@ACC writes:

>HOWEVER, NECRON-90 (PEACE) was a fairly blatant ripoff of a character
>created by the late Vaughn Bode.
>
>His most haunting character, Cobalt-60 (sound familiar
>already ?), was a mutant humanoid who spent most of his time hunting
>down and killing non-mutant humanoids, in an attempt to establish his
>own kind as "normal" and to punish the humans for creating a radioactive
>wasteland. Bakshi's NECRON-90 was almost identical in form to Cobalt-60,
>right down to the beast they rode into battle. The only difference to me
>was that NECRON-90 decided to stop and smell the roses, and Cobalt-60
>would have blasted them with never a second thought.
>
>It was plagarism all right, but Vaughn Bode was already dead, and I
>suppose his heirs just didn't want to fight it

I talked to Mark Bode at a con a while back, and blatant ripoff isn't the
word. As a matter of fact, Bakshi borrowed some drafts from Vaughn Bode of
the Cobalt-60 character and then proceeded to add them to his movie. That
isn't plagarism, that's theft. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of clearcut
law about it, and it looks like Bakshi is going to be away with it.

For those that are interested, Epic magazine has been carrying Mark Bode's
version of Cobalt-60 as a continuation of the work started by his father.
Mark (being assisted by Larry Todd, I believe) is doing a good job, but he
isn't his father, and it shows. Vaughn didn't get very far on Cobalt-60
while he was alive because he found it just too depressing. Reading Mark's
work, based on what his father did do, notes, and his own ideas, shows why.

chuq
--
:From the closet of anxieties of:                 Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Remember me, for that which I must do shall ring out upon the heavens and
my name shall be renounced by the tongues of all mankind! - J. Iscariot

@RUTGERS.ARPA:Joseph.Henr@Xerox.ARPA (04/25/85)

From: Brenda <Joseph.Henr@Xerox.ARPA>

<< come on--what girl wants to see a movie in which there is only one
female character>>

I don't know, but this woman, for one, still considers WIZARDS one of
her all time favorite movies.  I never even noticed that there was only
one female character, scantily clad or not, until you just mentioned it.
The male/female character ratio is not something that's of upmost
important when I'm watching a movie, but there relationships, chracters,
etc. And I thought she was a pretty good character.(My best friend (an
active, ardent feminist) considers WIZARDS one of the best movies ever
made and was the one who took me to see it.)

 <<bad guys are Nazis...Bakshi couldn't make up his own bad guys>>

I feel that this is a trivialization of what I thought was a good
statement that the movie made.  The bad guys weren't just nazis -- the
point was that they had no cause to fight for and therefore, even though
they were much stronger and better armed, were no match for the "good"
side who was fighting for their homes, lives, loves, etc.  Fighting for
their leader (who didn't do a lot for them to make them brim over with
loyalty) to fulfill his kicks wasn't enough to make them stand up
against the "strength" of the good side.  They needed a strong
motivation and the use of Hitler's propaganda was a nice touch because
who ever did propaganda better for the same reasons and to the same
end??  I mean, who else could convince an entire nation to not only
allow and condone concentration/extermination camps, but fight the rest
of the world for the right to use them?

I like the thought that the strength of your convictions can make you
strong and that lack in them makes you weak and ineffectual.  It also
frightens me to watch the power of propaganda like Hitler's, but I think
its important to remind ourselves of this fact, lest we allow something
like that to happen again.  I think Wizards did a good job of showing
both of these ideas.

~Brenda

tallman@dspo.UUCP (04/25/85)

One thing that bothered me about WIZARDS was that the first few minutes of
the film were not animated.  Instead, the camera pans over some uncolored,
unfinished sketches.  It seemed that Bakshi had gotten tired of drawing or
had a low animation budget.  Perhaps it was meant to indicate the dim past
as a background to the main story, but I still did not like it.

--
C. David Tallman - dspo!tallman@LANL  or {ucbvax!unmvax,ihnp4}!lanl!dspo!tallman
Los Alamos National Laboratory - E-10/Data Systems

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (04/29/85)

In article <217@dspo.UUCP> tallman@dspo.UUCP writes:
>One thing that bothered me about WIZARDS was that the first few minutes of
>the film were not animated.  Instead, the camera pans over some uncolored,
>unfinished sketches.  It seemed that Bakshi had gotten tired of drawing or
>had a low animation budget.  Perhaps it was meant to indicate the dim past
>as a background to the main story, but I still did not like it.

Uhh... you're kidding, right?  This is a belated AprilFool posting?

Those "uncolored, unfinished sketches" were rather nice conte' or pastel
drawings, done on a gray textured paper.  They're *supposed* to look
like that, honest!  (I also think they were the best looking part of the
picture -- the the rotoscoped WWI flicks really put me off.)
--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)

gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (04/30/85)

> One thing that bothered me about WIZARDS was that the first few minutes of
> the film were not animated.  Instead, the camera pans over some uncolored,
> unfinished sketches.  It seemed that Bakshi had gotten tired of drawing or
> had a low animation budget.  Perhaps it was meant to indicate the dim past
> as a background to the main story, but I still did not like it.
>
> --
> C. David Tallman - dspo!tallman@LANL  or {ucbvax!unmvax,ihnp4}!lanl!dspo!tallman
> Los Alamos National Laboratory - E-10/Data Systems
> Los Alamos, New Mexico  -  (505) 667-8495

OK, you didn't like it, well I did.  Mainly because it was illustrated
by Mike Ploog.  Mike Ploogs artwork is known for it's ability to show
motion (or the feeling of action) through drawn media.

He went on to do a couple of introduction pieces in a comic called
Wierdworld.  But that was a long time ago.  I haven't seen much from
him since -- but that comment belongs in net.comics...

Gary