[talk.politics.misc] Robots and Free Will

abcscagz@csuna.UUCP (stepanek/cs assoc) (02/01/89)

In article <1998@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>In article <2070026@otter.hpl.hp.com> ke@otter.hpl.hp.com (Kave Eshghi) writes:
>
>>What does US aggression against Nicargua represent?
>
>Four more years of Adolpho Colero's getting more bread than the homeless.

That may be true, but come ON!  Give out bread [sic] to "the homeless" and
they'll just take it.  You could spend a zillion dollars on "the homeless",
and for the most part it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference, because
they'll just TAKE what you dole out to them and not bother to use it to
improve their own lives in the long term.  (Some of them might, but the
overwhelming propensity for emotionally-plagued man to "sit" and "suck up"
whatever fortune comes his way will mean that most of them won't budge.)
   If you give a hungry, homeless person food and shelter for a day, tomorrow
he'll be hungry and homeless again.

   (Heck.
    I've seen a lot of "homeless" people.
    Most of them are "bums," who do their best to ALIENATE themselves from
ANY attempts made to talk to them, to find out about them.  They are, for
the most part, outcasts by choice.
    If you do believe it's a problem worth solving, give them opportunities
to improve themselves.  Don't just increase welfare, allow welfare to keep
paying them even after they've found employment (for a while).)

--
Jeff Boeing:  ...!csun.edu!csuna!abcscagz    (formerly tracer@stb.UUCP)
"When Polly's in trouble I am not slow  /  It's hup, hup, hup and awaay I go!"